• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New horn (to me)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowndip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: New horn (to me) Reply with quote

I am starting the quest for a horn that is new to me. I like something that has a rich, fat sound. I tend to play classical and H.L. Clarke and have used a 1 !/4 C MP. The Bach strads sound nice but anyone have suggestions. I am 63 so I'll not likely wear one out either.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi crowndip,

Good luck on your quest. Just gotta try horns to see what you like best. Perhaps a cornet would be worth considering too? Not sure where you are located, so I can't make suggestions of dealers, except some good ones online like Austin Custom Brass, J Landress Brass, and Horn Trader.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. Enjoy the adventure!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:

Good luck on your quest. Just gotta try horns to see what you like best.

Perhaps a cornet would be worth considering too?

This - try a few things and see what you like, and definitely try a cornet or two.

If you want to use a 1 1/4C mouthpiece on cornet, you may find the BBB models don't play too well with typical trumpet-type mouthpieces (like the 1 1 1/4C), but there are some cornets out there that do - the Bach 184 comes to mind immediately, a Getzen Eterna will too (and there are shedloads of them out there used, if that's your poison).

Which Bach's have you played? There are loads of different models and options - a 72 is a very different beast from a 37, in a direction you may like (if you're used to 37's).
crowndip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried out the 37...nice horn. Also tried out a Besson (felt stuffy to me), Jupiter and a King Silver Flair..(didn't feel as responsive as I'd like). I am aware that almost all horns will play better than I can but I'd like the one that I can be as comfortable with as possible.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a cornet, but that's just me. Definitely don't settle on something, get something you'll really enjoy. Try out some Holtons
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping on the cornet bandwagon here! YOu can get a lot of bang for your buck that way, and they tend to be more tonally responsive to different mouthpiece selection as well as responding easily and being very nimble.

On the other end of the spectrum you could sink a lot of dough into one boutique or custom horn, and come away with something that gives you a slight performance edge.
crowndip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Trumpet Shop (Schmitt Music) in the Twin Cities today. Tried a laquered Strad 37, a silver 37, an Adams, a Kanstul and a Yamaha. The one that really hooked me is the Schilke HD. Blew my hair back.....
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who have not tried a Schilke HD trumpet, you should.
They are seriously fine trumpets. The Schilke quality, ease of response, and intonation with a more opaque sound that so many strive for.
R. Tomasek
crowndip

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Strad 37. It is an early 70's model. Should have it in my hands by the middle of next week.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowndip wrote:
Bought a Strad 37. It is an early 70's model. Should have it in my hands by the middle of next week.

I also just got a "new to me" '70s Strad 37. What a player! And a truly classic sound. Enjoy!
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowndip wrote:
I went to the Trumpet Shop (Schmitt Music) in the Twin Cities today. Tried a laquered Strad 37, a silver 37, an Adams, a Kanstul and a Yamaha. The one that really hooked me is the Schilke HD. Blew my hair back.....

I think the 37 will be a fine horn for you, but wasn't expecting that result when I read about your Schilke HD experience!

How cool to have been able to try so much at Schmitt Music! Some of you are lucky to be close to them (or another of the big dealers)!!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: