• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adult Beginner - 12 month goal to join community orchestra?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc0809

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things you noticed yourself are the best place to begin really. Sit up a bit more and don't let your chest cave in, this will help you feel more relaxed and confidant. Try to think of the air as always moving, the articulation should be like flicking a stream of water, not turning it on and off for each note (the tongue is the finger flicking the water in this analogy.) Great work and keep on going. Also I did the Artistworks trumpet thing for a good while, I highly recommend it, Dave Bilger is Very helpful for players of all levels, he really takes time to give supportive, enthusiastic comments and plays plenty of examples for you too.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewjcw wrote:
roynj wrote:
After viewing this video I would immediately correct a few things if you were my student, but generally you're doing quite well.

C'mon you can't leave me hanging like that...

Some things I noticed just from watching my own video is I should try to be more relaxed with straighter posture and not hunching shoulders, and need much better breath control - not taking breaths between notes or every bar.

Correct self diagnosis. Well done! Work on posture, breath control, and articulation. Also try to count an even beat. You're meter (counting) isn't consistent. A metronome would help in that area. But generally, you hit the problem areas right on the head. Also, I suggest listening a lot to some really good trumpet players who you admire. Listen to their tone, articulation and general style of playing. This way you can get into your head a "model" of what your playing should possibly be more like, and you will find that (again, over time) that your playing will move in that direction. We call it a "sound concept". You have already been told to seek out a private teacher, so I will just second that recommendation. Good luck.
yakbass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 60 years old, picked the trumpet up again after a 42 year rest. I am in a community musical group with lots of brass, woodwind, percussion, etc. players. Don't know what to call it, band or . . .
The group plays about 2 dozen concerts a year. It does not require an audition. The players are expected to practice, and sit out the more difficult passages as necessary. The members take their playing seriously, but there is room for less talented folks.
I would expect that you can find the same in your area.
Remember to enjoy the experience.
Mike
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakbass wrote:
I am 60 years old, picked the trumpet up again after a 42 year rest. I am in a community musical group with lots of brass, woodwind, percussion, etc. players. Don't know what to call it, band or . . .

Orchestras and symphonies have strings - violins, violas, cellos, whatnot. Bands - concert bands, marching bands, "wind ensembles," or "symphonic winds" or what have you do not - although sometimes there's a one upright string bass.

yakbass wrote:
The group plays about 2 dozen concerts a year. It does not require an audition. The players are expected to practice, and sit out the more difficult passages as necessary. The members take their playing seriously, but there is room for less talented folks.
I would expect that you can find the same in your area.
Remember to enjoy the experience.
Mike

Band is perfect for the comeback player. There is usually a larger section and a variety of skill levels (and possibly dedication). The music you have in front of you is the music you play with much fuss.

Orchestra - for those of you who haven't had the experience of playing in one - is a bit different.

For one, the trumpet section is usually quite small, two or three is standard. There's one player per part, mostly - so nowhere to hide or sit out. There's a lot of stylistic stuff in playing orchestral stuff that you pick up and learn from teachers, directors, colleagues, and your own experience and research (listening to recordings).

Intonation is extremely important. It's much easier for a section to sound relatively in tune than for two players to be completely in tune - especially on the fifths and octaves that are common in Haydn and Mozart. Looks easy, seems easy, but to sound great you have to be spot on - intonation wise. Not close, but on. And everyone can hear every note.

Also, in Band the music is in Bb for your Bb trumpet. In orchestra the music could be in Bb, C, D, E, Eb, low A (half step below standard Bb), or F. It might switch from one to the other and again in the middle of the piece. A player in an orchestra is expected to at least understand how that works - and at least try to get through those sections, at the very least. A real or good orchestral player can sight read that stuff - maybe not flawlessly, but nearly as good as a standard band piece in Bb. If you're playing second, maybe the first player or principal can help guide you through these things.

This is not to discourage anyone from wanting to play in a community orchestra. It can be fun - I've enjoyed it! It's just that there is a little more to it and one might imagine if you've never done it before.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that playing in any ensemble (band or orchestra) is a good thing to do in order to generate more enthusiasm in the player to practice. If you avoid ensembles it's likely that you may start to lose interest because there is "no pressure" to keep up your skills. I would always encourage comeback or even complete newbies to seek out playing opportunities that are appropriate for their skill level.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Yak knows the difference between "band" and "orchestra," and was speaking freely given the informality that posting on TH invites.

Was much impressed by his clause, "The members take their playing seriously." Same is true of our college concert band which is made up of students and oldsters. We old duffs really work our tails off
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience:

Band - more trumpets, easier to hide until you get your act together.

Orchestra - long stretches of boredom punctuated by moments of terror.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
yakbass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardwy wrote:
Pretty sure Yak knows the difference between "band" and "orchestra," and was speaking freely given the informality that posting on TH invites.

No , I'm pretty sure I did not know what the difference was. Thanks to the poster for explaining it for me.

Was much impressed by his clause, "The members take their playing seriously." Same is true of our college concert band which is made up of students and oldsters. We old duffs really work our tails off
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
In my experience:

Nominated for quote of the day!

Brad
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
In my experience:

+1
You got that right Jim!
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finn,

You were right. I erred!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
In my experience:

Brad361 wrote:
Nominated for quote of the day!

Brad

I'll add my vote for that! That sums it up pretty well.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
In my experience:

Whoever said trumpet players were not adrenalin junkies??

Not to diss on great quotes, but with a trumpet in your hand there is PLENTY to fear besides fear itself. Trumpet is a high-risk instrument!

Thus concludes my string of cliches. For now.
GarryOwen2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's absolutely doable. I did it! I'm not really even a comeback player so much as an adult beginner. Sure, I played the trumpet in 5th and 6th grade, but then switched to percussion in 7th grade and played drums throughout high school. Then didn't touch an instrument again until I was 40 when I started playing the trumpet (again??? Only of 5th and 6th grade count)!

I started with Clarke and lots and lots of etudes at first (Rubank and Getschel in particular), and really couldn't play Arban's first section of studies very effectively until after about 9 months of daily practice (usually an hour a day, sometimes more). Anything above a C on the staff was dicey for a long while.

I started playing in the community band at about 18 months, and wow. It was tough, but I stuck with it and learned so much in the first two months it was unreal. Now for the first year of playing in the band, which was my second year on the trumpet, I was lost about 60% of the time, but I learned to watch the conductor, listen to the two other 3rd trumpets (they actually knew what they were doing!), and ask for (and take) as much advice as they were willing to give. I just finished the 18 month point of playing with the band, and I am happy to say I am now lost only about 30% of the time, but more importantly, my tone and intonation is on par with the rest of the section. I've been playing for a little over three years now, and am confident with anything ranging from A above the staff on down to F#. It's been a long, sometimes bumpy, frequently embarrassing, constantly humbling, and always rewarding ride. Don't listen to naysayers ( there are a lot on this forum) and stick with it.

If I have one piece of unsolicited advice to give as an adult beginner it would be pick a mouthpiece and stick with it. I fell victim to the mouthpiece safari for my first year and a half, and feel I only started to sound like I knew what I was doing once I settled on one mouthpiece and resisted any temptation to put a different one to my lips.
1954 LA Olds Ambassador
Carol Brass "Blackhawk" Flugelhorn
pineapple_tarts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I started with Clarke and lots and lots of etudes at first (Rubank and Getschel in particular), and really couldn't play Arban's first section of studies very effectively until after about 9 months of daily practice (usually an hour a day, sometimes more). Anything above a C on the staff was dicey for a long while.

Can I ask how long it took you to build the range to play 3rd trumpet in a community band? I'm at 6 months (also adult beginner) and I'm still struggling with notes above C. I can go up to F on a good day but the sounds in that range sound thin and reedy.

Also, did you have stamina problems getting through band practice at 18 months?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some material that will help you reach your goal. http://ocdtrumpet.com/training/100-concepts-for-brass/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
ruling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pineapple_tarts"]
Quote:
... I'm at 6 months (also adult beginner) and I'm still struggling with notes above C. ...

Breathe ... breathe ... breathe. Take breaths before you need to. Starving for air ruins everything. Imagine what bagpipes sound like as they run out of air. We sound just like that. Every note should be supported with plenty of air to spare.

Make sure you get a belly full of air with every breath and play softly. A steady flow of air is VERY important and playing softly will extend your practice.

Don't play more than 15 minutes at a time. Take breaks between 15 minute sessions. Set a timer. Get rid of the tension.

Stay relaxed. If you practice being tense you will perform that way and it will become a difficult habit to break. Being tense is exhausting.

Don't play in a cramped position. Sit up straight or stand up. Getting a full breath is impossible if you're hunched over. Don't play to the floor. Play straight out at the wall.

Soft lip slurs will teach you what changes are needed to go higher and lower. You will feel it. Pay attention to your tongue and corners of your mouth and the speed of your air. Feel the openness of your throat when you're playing low. Maintain that as you go higher. Relax.

Do not press the mouthpiece hard against your lips. They'll go numb quickly without good blood circulation.

Have fun !

Oh, and learn every scale.

Yamaha TRBX304 4-String Bass (candy apple red)
Squier 4-string Jazz Bass (fretless)
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
3-string Cigar Box Guitar
mhendricks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some useful info and tips for the comeback player...

http://mphmusic.com/blog/category/comeback-trumpet-player/

Best,
Mark

For info on all of Mark's books and more visit: www.MPHmusic.com
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pineapple_tarts wrote:
Can I ask how long it took you to build the range to play 3rd trumpet in a community band? I'm at 6 months (also adult beginner) and I'm still struggling with notes above C. I can go up to F on a good day but the sounds in that range sound thin and reedy.

Also, did you have stamina problems getting through band practice at 18 months?

I would say don't panic. I was at almost the exact same place at 6 months. Now at about 1 1/2 years, it's high C that I can only get on a good day, never in real music, and anything above a G that is thin and reedy. My teacher (you should have one if you don't) assigns a range study for each day, so it's really only one time that I am going as high as I can. The rest of the time I'm going up into the notes that are high for me, but not a strain. I have to look back a few weeks at a time to see progress and not be discouraged.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: