• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Missing Bottom Teeth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Missing Bottom Teeth Reply with quote

I met with a potential student this weekend. He's probably 40+ years old, last played over a decade ago, and since he last played, has lost several of his bottom center teeth.

My best guess is 1,2,3 on the bottom right side, but it could be 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 (least likely).

It will be another month or so before we meet. Dental work isn't an option in his case; we're going to have to make due with his mouth as is.

Does anyone have any insight into working with cases like this? Any resources I should consult? We're obviously going to have to patiently experiment to find something that works, but I'm sure this path has been taken before.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of trumpet players have found ways to compensate for missing teeth. Your student is likely to have fewer problems adapting to missing lower teeth than if he were missing three uppers.

Range will very likely be an issue but lack of range didn't keep players like Chet Baker, Art Farmer and Bobby Hackett from playing well.

It's curious though that you say dental work isn't an option. If cost is the reason dental schools have free or reduced fee programs he could investigate.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His situation is complex and far from normal. He has access to some very basic dental care, but I'll have to check the community to see if there is anywhere around that could offer anything more difficult. Travel outside of town is pretty much a nonstarter. It's worth a shot to check around, but I'm not too hopeful. I'm operating under the assumption that anything more than zero is more than he can afford.

To be able to play again would be very meaningful to him considering where life's taken him, so I want to do right for him. He's a sweet guy who really wants to play music again.

I once worked with a really excellent player who used some kind of homemade dental implant when he played. I'm not sure how he made it though.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have found to be helpful with students is don't make too many assumptions. Meaning, his dental situation may not affect his playing as much as one might think, so I would try to approach it with a very open mind. I have never taught an adult student with missing front teeth, and it certainly could present a problem. But I do work with a lot of kids with braces, and while braces are never an especially good thing for a brass player, different kids are affected in different ways; for some it's a huge obstacle, others not as much. Hopefully your adult student will fall into the "not as much" category, and there are some very fine players whose embouchures may not "look correct."

Best of luck, please let us know how he progresses!

Brad
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great that you're taking such interest in him. Because he's played before I would avoid assigning drills. Instead get him back to playing his favorite tunes. To make it interesting for both of you work out of a fake book and alternate four or eight bar sections - that'll keep him from over using his chops. Also, starting every session with some soft, focused buzzing will be valuable. But the most impportant factor of all may be your faith in him.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time a fellow showed up to play with our community band who picked up the saxophone in his retirement. Since youth he had wanted to play, but was told that because he had a cleft palate he was a non-starter. Finally, he decided that he was going to learn to play anyway.

Since he sat across the room from me I never knew how he sounded, but there was no doubt that making music brought him joy.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts, Brad. I've worked with players with nerve damage before and had the most success in getting them to ignore the issue and focus on playing. Let the teacher analyze and the student play.

Jhatpro: I'll certainly keep in mind that there might be unforeseen endurance issues even when considering his comeback. Based on how he mimed to me, there will probably be a sharp edge or a big space where the rim used to sit. Good thoughts there, especially about keeping it musical and fun.

As for the faith in him part, he came to me concerned about his teeth. You should have seen him light up when I told him that we would figure out a way to make it work.

Starkadder: That's awesome.

If anyone hasn't taken the chance to teach someone who can never possibly repay you, you're missing out. A much better man and musician than me once said to always teach someone for free, even when you're flat broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: