• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Transcribing is FUN!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Transcribing is FUN! Reply with quote

I just spent an hour tonight transcribing the melody and solo on "Tangerine" off the Chet Baker album "She Was To Good To Me". It's so fun to actually hit ever note that Chet played. What a rush. I plan to transcribe a whole lot more of his music.

I've come back to trumpet 5 times from saxophone(a much easier instrument) and each time I dive into Arbans, Clarke,Schlossberg and after a while I get totally fried and give up. This time I'm devoting myself to playing music. So it's minimal exercises and maximize the music of Chet and Miles. Lots of transcribing and playing by ear and working out of Coker patterns for Jazz.

Also, I plan to do all of this on an Olds Ambassador with a Yamaha 14B4 mpc. FUN!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will (likely) find you need a sensible mix of playing music vs fundamentals, on any brass instrument. Certain exercises are more "efficient," in that you can devote less time to them and spend more of your time on music, while still having chops that work.

Best of luck to you with this balancing act ...
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun!

I recently took a lesson from a very good player who also recommended playing more music and not all exercises all the time.

Shouldn't be no exercises though; you can warm up on easy exercises played softly, making sure that air, tongue, embouchure and fingers are all working well together. Maybe some scales, arpeggios and Clarke Technical Studies too. Then you're ready for the music.

I think it's fun to read out of those fake books now and then. Just a suggestion in case you want to supplement your transcribing.
Piccolo Stomvi
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Transcribing is FUN! Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
I just spent an hour tonight transcribing the melody and solo on "Tangerine" off the Chet Baker album "She Was To Good To Me". It's so fun to actually hit ever note that Chet played. What a rush. I plan to transcribe a whole lot more of his music.

I've come back to trumpet 5 times from saxophone(a much easier instrument) and each time I dive into Arbans, Clarke,Schlossberg and after a while I get totally fried and give up. This time I'm devoting myself to playing music. So it's minimal exercises and maximize the music of Chet and Miles. Lots of transcribing and playing by ear and working out of Coker patterns for Jazz.

Also, I plan to do all of this on an Olds Ambassador with a Yamaha 14B4 mpc. FUN!

I'm a former saxophone player who had to quit because of a degenerative desease. The two last fingers of my left hand are stiffen; hardly movable.

The good thing of that story is that playing trumpet is a rreal passion. I like trumpet 4 times more than sax, even if it's A LOT more difficult.

Unlike saxophone, playing trumpet and getting better is an everyday story. So, the only advice Ican give you is to blow your horn every-single-day, at least 15 minutes if you can't do better. I also suggest you to take a bit more time to do long tones at the beginning, in order to form your embouchure and your tone.

Good luck and don't give up! Consistency is very profitable and inconsistency leads to frustration...

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: