• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton 4M question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Warburton 4M question Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just ordered a warburton 4M.
I once played on a curry 3C but the diameter was much too big for me. Is the warburton 4 rim definitely smaller then the curry 3C?
Also, in the future, if I ever want to buy a cup that is a bit shallower then the 4M for extreme upper register playing, I don't know what to buy because the kanstul comparator shows the 4M and the 4S as being exactly the same depth!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 4M too big?
Forget the Curry for the moment - if this piece isn't too big then don't worry too much. On a personal point, I find my Warburton 4D (albeit anchor grip) feels a fair bit smaller than my Curry 3 series pieces, but thats just my perspective.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warburton 4 is .005" (.660") smaller in ID than the Curry 3 (.665").
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play mostly on a Curry 3B or 3M, I also have a Warburton 4sv. The Warburton definately feels smaller.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Warburton 4M also feels smaller to me than a Curry 3C. To me the Warburton 4M feels more 7 sized than 3, but maybe that is owing to the particular 7C I used to play, and my 3C.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Warburton 4M question Reply with quote

Martinharris wrote:
Hi guys, I just ordered a warburton 4M.
I once played on a curry 3C but the diameter was much too big for me. Is the warburton 4 rim definitely smaller then the curry 3C?
Also, in the future, if I ever want to buy a cup that is a bit shallower then the 4M for extreme upper register playing, I don't know what to buy because the kanstul comparator shows the 4M and the 4S as being exactly the same depth!

I was a Bach 3C guy for the first 10+ years I played trumpet. I then switched to the Warburton 4 series because it was "close" to a 3C, but a tad smaller...to me.

I used to use a 4M/7 for everything except lead playing. For lead playing I used a 4SV. I hated the 4S.

IMO the backbore you choose is really important. Trial and error isn't very scientific, but it worked for me.

In the last year or so I switched to ACB mouthpieces, but I still warm up every day (and could play non-lead stuff) on my 4M/7.
1948 Holton Model 48
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

[While i]t's been well established for a long time that no two measurements done by different companies are [usually] going to be comparable, [t]he examples of the Warburton 4 and the Curry 3 [contradict this fact], as when the digital scans of these two mouthpieces are compared, the Curry 3 has a larger inner cup diameter than the Warburton 4[, just as the two companies' specifications would suggest].

Curry 3C. (red) vs Warburton 4M (green)

http://s25.postimg.org/hvccr4dzj/Curry_3_C_red_vs_Warburton_4_M_green.jpg

To the OP:

The difference in cup diameter between these two mouthpieces is fairly minor. But the cup shapes are radically different. Not only is the Warburton 4M much shallower than the Curry 3C. but the throat area (bottom portion of the cup) of the 4M is much more restrictive than that of the 3C. mouthpiece. The 4M is going to play much brighter (too bright?) compared to the 3C. and feel much less open. Maybe this will be a good thing for you, or maybe it will be a bad thing. All things being equal, I think restrictive mouthpieces tend to hold players back, while more open ones allow the player to develop if he or she is practicing properly. Perhaps your money would be better spent on a good teacher instead of more mouthpieces.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

P.S. Some editing has been done to restore factual accuracy to this post.
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student

Last edited by John Mohan on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

It's been well established for a long time that no two measurements done by different companies are going to be comparable. The examples of the Warburton 4 and the Curry 3 make for a perfect example of this problem, as when the digital scans of these two mouthpieces are compared the Curry 3 has a larger inner cup diameter than the Warburton 4, yet according to the numbers published by the two different companies it should be the other way around.

John, that's what he said...

EK: "Warburton 4 is .... smaller in ID than the Curry 3."
JM: "Curry 3 has a larger inner cup diameter than the Warburton 4".

Same thing (though you seem to have gotten the published figures confused - the Curry by published spec is larger, and by comparator, and by feel from several posters).

That aside, agreed the stated measurements given by different manufacturers are going to differ somewhat.
I also agree with your assessment than the Warburton plays tighter (and I don't generally find that desirable either).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

It's been well established for a long time that no two measurements done by different companies are going to be comparable. The examples of the Warburton 4 and the Curry 3 make for a perfect example of this problem, as when the digital scans of these two mouthpieces are compared the Curry 3 has a larger inner cup diameter than the Warburton 4, yet according to the numbers published by the two different companies it should be the other way around.

John, that's what he said...

EK: "Warburton 4 is .... smaller in ID than the Curry 3."
JM: "Curry 3 has a larger inner cup diameter than the Warburton 4".

Same thing (though you seem to have gotten the published figures confused - the Curry by published spec is larger, and by comparator, and by feel from several posters).

That aside, agreed the stated measurements given by different manufacturers are going to differ somewhat.
I also agree with your assessment than the Warburton plays tighter (and I don't generally find that desirable either).

This proves I should never post until the coffee has had some effect.

Yes, Ed had it right, and in this case, the published numbers actually do agree with reality. Apparently, I read things backwards when decaffeinated.

Thanks for correcting me!

I'm now going to go back and edit my goofiness a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: