• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Struggling with "Physical Approach" book

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pineapple_tarts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Struggling with "Physical Approach" book Reply with quote

As a preface: I have a teacher but he doesn't use any CG books. I bought this book mostly out of curiosity and due to some recommendations on this forum.

Lesson 7 of the book asks the player to play arpeggios up to G on the staff. Claude Gordon's instructions are to say "Tee" and blow more air as you ascend. However, when I try this I still can't reach the upper notes (sometimes I can hit F but usually it's lower).

Questions:
1. Is this an indication that I'm doing something fundamentally wrong in my setup?
2. Should I keep trying this exercise everyday or skip ahead?
3. How do teachers teach with this book?

I've seen people comment that they use this book with their students to build range. I'd like to hear what teachers do when they teach out of this book. The range jump seems incredibly sudden (the exercise before this has you play chromatic scales up to a 3 space C).

Thanks!
-El
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just haven't got your tongue position right yet... Are you anchor tonguing?

The eee movement is forward in the mouth, and its the front 1/3rd of the tongue arching, not the back parts.
You blow air across the tongue.
The more you raise the tongue, the more resistance it creates, so you need to blow *a little* stronger as you ascend if you want the volume of sound to stay the same.

It takes a while to get used to and find the balance between tongue movement and air. Just keep working through the book and when you get to the end of it, then you'll be getting the hang of it all
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: The "PA" book by itself probably won't do much good without the "Brass Playing Is..." book to more fully explain the method.

That said, the usual disclaimers apply: IMO, YMMV, believe nothing you read on the internet unless you agree with it completely and to top it off I am not a CG teacher. HTH
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you should get Brass Playing is no harder than deep breathing for a detailed explanation of how to make this piece of pipe work as Claude said!

Also, I hate the term Anchor tonging used above, as the tongue is anything but anchored when using ktm or k tongue modified, put ktm or k tongue modified into search and read up on it from posts by CG certified teachers, it can be difficult to grasp but when you do, its amazing the difference it makes to all your tonguing.

Look at posts by Jeff Purtle, Bruce Haag , Eric Bolvin or John Mohan for accurate and detailed info

Hope this helps
Eric
Bsully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
You just haven't got your tongue position right yet... Are you anchor tonguing?

The eee movement is forward in the mouth, and its the front 1/3rd of the tongue arching, not the back parts.
You blow air across the tongue.
The more you raise the tongue, the more resistance it creates, so you need to blow *a little* stronger as you ascend if you want the volume of sound to stay the same.

It takes a while to get used to and find the balance between tongue movement and air. Just keep working through the book and when you get to the end of it, then you'll be getting the hang of it all

^+1

I'm a come-back player and have been studying the CG method with Bruce Haag for the past 14 months. I too had my high note tongue position wrong. We discovered this in a lesson when I could not get beyond a high e. Bruce is a really cool guy and just says "huh, maybe experiment with the tongue position a bit more" then reminds me how it should be done and sends me on my way for the week. In typical fashion I freak out for 2 days and then it starts to click again. The next lesson 2 weeks later, we went backwards to lesson 2 in SA, I was at lesson 10! This was at my request since I needed to relearn the knack (with the correct position) and Bruce agreed it was the right thing to do. I imagine he would have suggested it if I had not.

That was my last lesson a lesson and a half ago. Hit the double c tonight. It was thin and terrible, but it was there. If you want to do some CG, give Bruce a call and take a few skype lessons from him.
pineapple_tarts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I am anchor tonguing and experimenting with tongue arch. I think my biggest problem is that trying to tongue arch causes the aperture to close up and hardly any air goes through. I'll check out the other lessons in the book as well as Brass Playing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, it just comes down to the fact that you need to be patient and develop the feel or knack of how to play those higher notes. They don't really require much strength at all (the average person has more than enough air power and facial strength to play up to at least a High C if they have the feel or knack of it down). Just use that arpeggio exercise each day and go up as high as you can each day. With time the proper development will occur and you'll be reaching the G and beyond. That particular exercise, if it's the one I'm thinking of, where you repeat each arpeggio four times (resting between each time), then move on to the next higher one, is one of the best exercises in that book. It can be used even after you've moved on to the later lessons in the book to work on your range. When you can comfortably play to the highest written arpeggio comfortably, you can continue up beyond what's written.

Lastly, it's best to stop using the term "anchor tonguing". The tongue should never be "anchored" at all, but allowed to be relaxed (never rigid). Keep the tip down below the tops of the bottom front teeth and tongue with the front middle portion against the area just behind the top front teeth. Eee (as in "sea") for higher notes and aw (as in "saw") for lower notes. The correct terms to describe the best way to tongue are K-Tongue Modified (KTM) or Dorsal Tonguing.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay, anchor tonguing is a terrible name probably... But so is KTM or K Tongue Modified...
It has nothing to do with K tonguing! Sure, its not the tip that tongues, but you try and get a 'k' sound with the part of the tongue that single tongues when dorsal tonguing... You can't - or I can't!
(Sorry Claude, but I don't get it!)

It just seems like a confusing name. I only use anchor tonguing because I think more people know what it refers to, and if he didn't knkw whag anchor tonguing was, I would have explained about the floating tip when I explained it.

It's just another of those things like "double high g" that people are going to argue about until the end of time. *shrugs*
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay, anchor tonguing is a terrible name probably... But so is KTM or K Tongue Modified...
It has nothing to do with K tonguing! Sure, its not the tip that tongues, but you try and get a 'k' sound with the part of the tongue that single tongues when dorsal tonguing... You can't - or I can't!
(Sorry Claude, but I don't get it!)

It just seems like a confusing name. I only use anchor tonguing because I think more people know what it refers to, and if he didn't knkw whag anchor tonguing was, I would have explained about the floating tip when I explained it.

It's just another of those things like "double high g" that people are going to argue about until the end of time. *shrugs*

Claude called it K-Tongue modified because he viewed it as a modification of K-Tonguing. When K-Tonguing we strike the note with the back of the tongue (not the tip). When using K-Tongue Modified (KTM) we strike the note with the front-middle portion of the tongue (not the tip). I agree, KTM isn't the perfect descriptor, but it's certainly better than "Anchor Tonguing" which does nothing to describe what part of the tongue articulates the note and by the very verb used in the term, misleads what one should be doing with the tongue.

If you don't like the term "K-Tongue Modified" then why not use "Dorsal Tonguing"? I think that one works well (if you look through my posts on the subject I tend to describe this type of tonguing using both "K-Tongue Modified" and "Dorsal Tonguing" lumped together in my descriptions).

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say this tongue in cheek, but you know, it all depends on what sort of 'anchor' we're talking about

Maybe it's referring to a sea anchor, which is not a fixed thing, but something that floats below the surface and keeps the ship pointed in the right direction?

That sort of anchor makes for a pretty decent KTM metaphor
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: this Reply with quote

Original Poster..

In 45 years of working, practicing and teaching trumpet, I've seen many players who have attempted to use the Gordon book and related materials, play worse for the effort.
Here are but a few problem areas I've encountered, with professionals, students, and in my own practice.
1...The lessons , in certain area's of the book, when practiced as directed, are destructive, not constructive. They seem out of a normal progressive order.
2...Playing the pedal tones lower and lower, loudly, injures my lips.
3...Playing the pedal tones, as directed, throws my embouchure completely out of balance.
4...Practicing this stuff, I get double buzzes all over the place.
5...Practicing this stuff, my lips are so spread, a high C is killing me.
6...Practicing this stuff,my middle register isn't reliable. I have no true sound there.
7...When I practice this stuff, I have to be playing or working really hard in order for it to balance out the pedals.
8...I can't time the practice so I can play a gig.
9...I can't find a real center.
10...When I stopped doing this stuff, I didn't miss it.

Some positives..

Alan Rubin: I like Gordon's approach, because he is the only "system" teacher that includes all the great method books.

Anonymous: My endurance is uncanny. I can play, all day. It's like..music by the ton chops.

Anonymous: Nothing else sets my chops up for everything, like this stuff.

As far as tonguing with the tip resting around the bottom teeth..
Many players, and I mean great ones, had to think about whether they articulated this way. Most, said they did, especially in the upper register. These questioned were studio players and heavy act lead players.
It's not an anchor or a modified k . It's simply using the middle of your tongue pressing against the roof of the mouth as an air release valve.
If it works, use it. If it doesn't, don't. One great lead player I discussed this with, said he uses "tee" everywhere on the horn. Hates and can't use the kdorsalanchorreleasevalve at all.
I use both, as needed.

If a lesson bugs you, or a series of lessons is throwing you, or playing the pedal tones ff is hurting you, or playing down to double pedal f# has ruined you, or holding the notes out until you fall over isn't doing it for you..find a few lessons that work for you.
Don't play the pedals as loudly. Don't go down as far. Don't hold the notes out till you die. Don't play hundreds of reps.
Use what you can use, so that your ability to play the horn, improves.
Keep your best interests in mind.
Don't loose a gig or ruin your head, because you think you have to do this stuff exactly as it says.
Plenty of players do it, as it works for them, through experimentation over years. Plenty play great, and construct their own lessons modeled after Claude's concepts.
Keep great brass playing concepts in mind at all times. Apply them to whatever you do. This will help anything you practice, work, FOR you.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said pedal tones were supposed to be loud? They're supposed to be a comfortable dynamic, but certainly no where does it say FF for pedal tones.

... As a side note... Do you know if you are, perchance an 'upstream' player? Bud Brisbois also had problems with pedal tones... And double buzzes are a much more common thing for Upstream players I believe.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said pedal tones were supposed to be loud? They're supposed to be a comfortable dynamic, but certainly no where does it say FF for pedal tones.

Bill Knevitt, "Play fairly strong on the notes of the Lip Relaxer, since blowing too softly would not set up a big enough vibration to accomplish the relaxation we are working for."

"You will also notice that I have said to hold the last note of the Lip Relaxer exercise until all the air is gone. This gives us yet another strength workout for the blowing muscles."

"The loud playing "myth." If you have build a reasonably strong embouchure, loud playing will not damage your playing."

WBK
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding what mcgovnor wrote:

1) I believe he is talking about Claude's advanced book "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice", not the beginner book "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing" that the Original Poster is using. "Physical Approach" doesn't even go into the pedals if I recall correctly, and it's progression is very even and steady.

2) As another full-time professional player and teacher (for 35 years) who has used the CG material and related books throughout that time (meaning Clarke Technical Studies, Colin Flexibilities, Irons Flexibilites, Smith Flexibilites, Schlossberg, Arban, St Jacome, the Sigmund Hering series and pretty much all the other well-known books in the literature that Claude took me through), the only criticisms mcgovnor mentioned that I can relate to is are:

A) Yes, as a working professional, it would be very hard to do the entire routine once it builds up as it does in the Systematic Approach book. But that is not how Claude taught his personal students, and the generic progression in Systematic Approach was targeted mainly at good players who want to become professionals and can and are willing to devote up to about five hours a day of trumpet practice.

B) The Systematic Approach book does build up the material too quickly. At the very least, two weeks should be spent on each Lesson once one gets to around Lesson 4 in the book. Claude toned down the amount of material and the rate at which he built it up with his students in the many years of teaching he did after writing that book back in the late 1950's.

Lastly, I don't believe (John McGovern) that you ever studied personally with Claude. If you had, I think at least the majority of your criticisms of Claude's method would have been alleviated. Many try to use the Gordon material and it doesn't work for them. In my opinion, this is because as thorough as Claude tried to be in the instructions in the book, it's still a lot of complicated material to grasp and most don't practice the material correctly. For instance, Claude would never have a student blasting pedal notes. He instructed us to play them in a full, comfortable volume. Also, he told us stop at Double Pedal C, saying he didn't feel there was any benefit in going lower than that. I should have taken his advice but at one point in my career I didn't, and as a result I hurt my lips once when taking those exercises down to triple pedal C. I had a heavy playing schedule (two musicals because a kid's musical was running concurrently with Hunchback at the big theater in Berlin and I was playing for both shows) and still each night I did my SA exercises. Well, I was sustaining a note somewhere around the F below Double Pedal C and all of a sudden I felt my lip start to split open right where the inner edge of the mouthpiece touches. It felt like a paper cut - holy crap!!! I stopped, but the horn away, and went home and went to bed, scared of what would happen when I tried to play the next day. Fortunately, it wasn't a bad wound, and it healed up over night. I took it as easy as I could for the next few days, and since that day I have heeded Claude's advice about stopping at the Double Pedal C.

When I get new students that have been using Systematic Approach for a while before coming to me, I find that very, very few are actually doing the stuff correctly.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: I Reply with quote

It saddens me to read that what I've shared regarding Claudes teaching would be boiled down to criticism.
Additionally...i suggest "Stupid" re read what I shared, understanding I shared mainly the experiences of many students and professionals over decades, not my experiences. Mine are in there, but not identified as such. As far as the upstream question....wow..
Having used Claudes material for almost 5 decades, what I posted recounts the reactions of many students as well as some of my own experience.
Truth be told, I know as many players who rejected these studies as claimed them beneficial. I've also worked with a number of Claude students, who, though devoted and loyal, might have done far better with something else.
Having met Claude and spent some quality time with him in the early 1970's
I was impressed with the holistic explanation of his method he shared with me, and truly was surprised he wasn't far more dogmatic, givin the impression the books make.
At the time I was doing a good deal.of recording here in NY, as well as live work with acts and shows.
Claudes directives ABOUT HOW and when to practice molded my thinking regarding practice and performance, period.
His optimistic style is infectious and his realism impressive.
Ive found with his studies, as well as with Costello material and Jacobs
material, my performance and that of my students has been most improved by working much of the peripheral according to the day, the gig, the goal, yesterday, tomorrow and the humanity of each player.
The core, fundimental remains unchanged and fixed, immovable throughout
One last thing, as Ive got an early start today.
I only post here, to help players who are having problems. I don't post here for any other reason. I suggest players who have problems find themselves a live teacher, whose primary affiliation method wise, is good brass playing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

I'm sorry I didn't address anything but the negative points in your earlier post. More than half your post is devoted to the positives, and while I didn't write anything about that part, it was just because I agree with pretty much everything in that section of your post.

Best wishes,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: I Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Ive found with his studies, as well as with Costello material and Jacobs material, my performance and that of my students has been most improved by working much of the peripheral according to the day, the gig, the goal, yesterday, tomorrow and the humanity of each player.

This.

Claude always maintained that the job comes first. I think that's one of the reasons so many of the successful players from Vegas and Reno were students of his. He was especially good at designing his individual students' routines to work around their particular playing/work schedules - and for the players back then in Vegas and Reno who were often doing 4 or more shows per day, this was absolutely critical.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Absolutely Reply with quote

Absolutely. CG could not have succeeded as a working player without this mindset in the forefront.
Personally I practiced entire routines, plus ....on days I worked when I"d the time to rest 5-6 hours and re warm up for half an hour with 15 minutes rest before the downbeat..unless the overture killed from note one. Then I play on and off up to the downbeat if possible.

When I was 25..I just did the routines and played cold. I always felt warmed up.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

When I get new students that have been using Systematic Approach for a while before coming to me, I find that very, very few are actually doing the stuff correctly.

Cheers,

John Mohan

What are some of the wrong approaches?
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Cheers,

John Mohan

What are some of the wrong approaches?

Playing the pedals incorrectly.
Not resting enough between the exercises.
Not resting enough between the sub-routines.
Holding the last notes on the Part 2 exercises too long (or not long enough).
Following the exact practice progression in the book and getting into an over-practice situation.
Not doing the KTM correctly.
Not breathing correctly (various problems here - some people don't get their chest up into a position of good posture, many try to over do it and raise the chest too much causing tension, others don't take full breaths, others try to over-fill, etc.)
Not lifting fingers high and striking the valves hard when doing technical studies and other material involving fingering development.
Trying to play through the exercises (especially the Technical Studies) too quickly and then playing (and learning) mistakes as a result.
Pushing it too hard in the upper register exercises.
Not pushing it hard enough in the upper register exercises.
Playing the material too loudly.
Playing the material too softly.
Etc.

Cheers,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: