• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

louis armstrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: louis armstrong Reply with quote

I teach band/string and classroom music at an arts magnet elementary school. I have a short clip of Pops playing a concert in Europe somewhere in the late 50'sI was showing it to a couple of classes.. I noticed during a close up shot that I could clearly see Louie's tongue very far forward. This seems pretty close to what I know about Jerome's TCE. Any thoughts on this from anyone here. Louie had pretty fair range and definitely played with a lot of power. I know that he was largely self taught.
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with your question regarding Louis' tongue placement, but I can tell you that he certainly WASN'T completely self-taught. He had a string of teachers starting with Peter Davis at the Colored Waif's Home in New Orleans, and possibly took lessons from his mentor, Joe Oliver - prior to going to the home. He definitely studied with Oliver after leaving the home.

I was told by a very reliable source that Louis took lessons from a very well-known teacher in NYC in the 1940s (whose name sadly escapes me now). If that is any indication, it wouldn't surprise me if he spent time with a number of teachers during his life. I'm sure there is information regarding this available from the website of the Louis Armstrong archive.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis used to say that he knew he was playing right when the top of his tongue tickled. I know that happens when you tongue through the teeth and hold it there, as Jerry instructs. Don't know that you can get it any other way. But it's a really good thing to test for while playing Superchops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: