• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Carol Brass CTR-5000-YST SLB trumpet (satin lacquer) and a Conn Vintage One flugel (satin lacquer). I love the sound of both, but they are COMPLETELY different. The 5000 is a bright lead horn and the VO is so mellow.

I play in two town bands and the directors love the brightness of my trumpet. They have no use for my flugel, except for Christmas brass choirs.

I also play in a Blue Note Era jazz ensemble and the leader wants the sound of the flugel. I agree.

The flugel is my favorite. I love the fluffy, round tone, especially played piano.

Enjoy whatever you have and please tolerate others' choices. Our instruments are very personal things.

Yamaha TRBX304 4-String Bass (candy apple red)
Squier 4-string Jazz Bass (fretless)
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
3-string Cigar Box Guitar
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flugel is a very special instrument. when i play there is little to no air column as such. it's more the air directly producing sound in the same way as talking softly. the softness of the experience is mystical and it gets me every time.
trumpet is basic and should be played every day. with the trumpet and cornet you do stack up some air in a bagpipe effect. the trumpet in particular has its own zen, soft way as it will speak well with its shallower mouthpiece. the trumpet and flugel make a devastating duo. air travels through each horn in a decidedly different manner.
my WT flugel is very nice indeed. some of the top brands ascend and slot freakishly well and easily in the high register. it's a quality that is needed hardly at all yet is a great tribute to the skill of the maker. the many positive endorsements of a variety of gear in this thread suggest you can do well on a variety of gear. find something you like and play it.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone hav e any thoughts/experiences with B&S flugelhorns?
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience, but certainly thoughts: if I needed another flugel and had the money, the B&S Brochon would be the one I'd like to try.
Build-wise it looks very much like my Couesnon and when I hear John Marshal play it on YouTube it sounds like a real flugel too.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Does anyone hav e any thoughts/experiences with B&S flugelhorns?

The 3145's we have in the shop is an extremely nice horns and play great. I think B&S gets overshadowed a bit, they are really wonderful horns! FYI here's a link to a demo 3145 we have in house.

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/show-demo-b-s-challenger-flugelhorn-3145-in-lacquer/

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the B&S

@ Trent : thanks for the info and offer. Talking about good customer service
However, when adding shipping costs and especially VAT rates for Belgium, I'm afraid US (internet)shops are less interesting for buying products made in Europe.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Heisentpt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the 4-valve courtois!
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing and I mean nothing better than playing Flugelhorn models yourself. Everyone is going to tell you what they like but that means nothing to you. I tried almost twenty different models and I think 17 different companies. Some of the horns had more than I could put in them and others didn't feel right for me. Why buy a horn that your not comfortable with just because it's the "best". I played two different "best" flugelhorns (brand doesn't matter) and they were terrible for me. That doesn't mean they are not great horns but not great for me. Frankly, unless your very very good most horns mentioned in all these threads have more in them than you can ever get out of them. So, find something your comfortable with that gives you the sound you like. Remember Flugelhorns are very very sensitive to mouthpiece changes so keep that in mind. I actually chose my mouthpiece, first before I ever tried out a horn. This will tell you a lot about the horn you really like. Forget price but decide upon the horn first. You may be surprised that the most expensive horn is NOT the horn for you. Good luck in your search!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Yamaha 631.

I got mine back in the 1970's and I just keep loving it because it...

feels so good.

You really should be ashamed of yourself. Some of us had to endure that. Every gig. For two years. Back then it was a school owned 631.

Because. Chuck.

These days it is a 2310-S, the only flugel I've ever bought. I've been through conservative estimate 75 trumpets in 8 years, and probably 50 cornets as well, more as collectibles than any safari for the holy grail.

It just got back today from the shop, where it got new valves and the casings lapped to get all the pitting out. You cannot imagine how nice it is to have fluttery valves, after 4 months of "which one is going to be the problem child tonight?"

Our band is down a tenor sax and trombone, so the flugel may well be the horn in my hand all night filling those parts.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was just getting out of high school and getting into pop bands the two signature tunes burned into my memory were "You're Still a Young Man" and "Feel So Good".
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Paladin53

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX suggested that many would just recommend what they play, so,
Lawler Flugelhorn. I am not a pro, but I've been complemented on the sound of my Lawler.
And like shofarguy my horn plays very well in tune. It does not have a third valve slide adjustment of any kind. It is close enough to easily lip in tune.

I bought my Lawler trumpet new but later purchased the flugel off TH marketplace. It turns out the two serial numbers are three numbers apart. Almost a matched pair.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Taylor Standard Copper flugelhorn that I rely on heavily. It's easy to generate that soft, fluffy sound that I have in my head. But here's something to carefully consider:
It took me a good month of playing daily to come to grips with it. If I had evaluated this horn based solely on my first playing impression of it, I very likely would not have bought it. The blow is so different than most other flugelhorns that there is a definite acclimation period that you must go through.
This could be because of the massively thick copper bell. It could be the .413 bore. I don't know. Maybe it's feedback. Point is, some flugelhorns may take more adaptation than others. .460 Getzens are initially easy for trumpet players to adapt to. Adams F1s take a little more learning curve. My Taylor was a learning process-but I wouldn't trade it for any other flugelhorn now. Just another thing to consider.
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
the flugel is a very special instrument. when i play there is little to no air column as such. it's more the air directly producing sound in the same way as talking softly. the softness of the experience is mystical and it gets me every time.
trumpet is basic and should be played every day. with the trumpet and cornet you do stack up some air in a bagpipe effect. the trumpet in particular has its own zen, soft way as it will speak well with its shallower mouthpiece. the trumpet and flugel make a devastating duo. air travels through each horn in a decidedly different manner.
my WT flugel is very nice indeed. some of the top brands ascend and slot freakishly well and easily in the high register. it's a quality that is needed hardly at all yet is a great tribute to the skill of the maker. the many positive endorsements of a variety of gear in this thread suggest you can do well on a variety of gear. find something you like and play it.

Great post Chuck. Very good description of playing a Flugelhorn. I like you simply fell in love with the Flip Oakes Flugel. One day I hope to get my hands on one. It was like "coming home" the first time I got to play it. Just a very special horn to me. Now, if I can sell a few of these guitars I might give Flip a call.
sfbaytrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Yamaha 635!
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about it being "the best" but there's nothing I'd rather be playing than my Yamaha 8315G.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've just read through all five pages of this thread

Like a poster said pretty early on, I've owned quite a few trumpets and even more cornets, but only one flugel.

Rightly or wrongly, I never practise flugel and only play it fortnightly in my husband's Jazz band, mainly for ballads.

I have a Bach 183. I'm nothing special as a player overall, and am primarily a brass band cornet player, but I've received a fair number of positive comments about my approach to flugel and flugel sound. Me and this flugel just seem to gel, and it gives me the sound which I am looking for, with the only flugel mouthpiece I have ever owned, and which I have owned even longer than my flugel, a Bach 3CFL which I bought off Ebay very cheaply years ago.

I'm therefore very happy with my Bach 183 and have no plans to change it.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oljackboy wrote:
I have a Taylor Standard Copper flugelhorn that I rely on heavily. It's easy to generate that soft, fluffy sound that I have in my head. But here's something to carefully consider:
It took me a good month of playing daily to come to grips with it. If I had evaluated this horn based solely on my first playing impression of it, I very likely would not have bought it. The blow is so different than most other flugelhorns that there is a definite acclimation period that you must go through.
This could be because of the massively thick copper bell. It could be the .413 bore. I don't know. Maybe it's feedback. Point is, some flugelhorns may take more adaptation than others. .460 Getzens are initially easy for trumpet players to adapt to. Adams F1s take a little more learning curve. My Taylor was a learning process-but I wouldn't trade it for any other flugelhorn now. Just another thing to consider.

a pretty good point is being made here. it's good to keep an open mind because a lot of what we think we know... it can take a good while to adjust to a flugel. it would be a shame to walk away from a taylor copper horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: