• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pedal C

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Pedal C Reply with quote

The pedal C is a slippery note for me. First it's a low Bb then I lip it up. I can lose it and have to find it again especially if I move on the other areas of practice.
Lately I've taken a new policy towards pedal C and below in that I seek to always have it there whatever I'm doing. I go back to check periodically to make sure that the embouchure I'm using can lock in on a good pedal C from anywhere. My idea is to strengthen it from that perpective. The last few years I've been honing my embouchure with the whisper G, somewhat like the Cat Anderson excersise.
A question for high note guys: Do you approach pedals this way? Is the pedal C always there from where-ever you're playing of doing? Are there some high notes guys who never do pedals?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal C Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
The pedal C is a slippery note for me. First it's a low Bb then I lip it up. I can lose it and have to find it again especially if I move on the other areas of practice.
Lately I've taken a new policy towards pedal C and below in that I seek to always have it there whatever I'm doing. I go back to check periodically to make sure that the embouchure I'm using can lock in on a good pedal C from anywhere. My idea is to strengthen it from that perpective. The last few years I've been honing my embouchure with the whisper G, somewhat like the Cat Anderson excersise.
A question for high note guys: Do you approach pedals this way? Is the pedal C always there from where-ever you're playing of doing? Are there some high notes guys who never do pedals?

Concerning the pedal C! Skip it! I used pedal C à la Stamp for years considering myself versatile. But, then I started the BE journey, learning how to blow double pedal C:s. Man, what a difference. Really doing something to your chops. Then at first I couldn´t do normal pedal C:s but now OK if I want to..... which I don´t. But my high register develops all of a sudden
So skip´em!!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I have more ease in the upper register when I don't play pedals. That's just me though.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal notes, including Pedal C should be practiced correctly or left completely alone. Trying to force a Pedal C into tune is not practicing it correctly. Due to the physics involved, a Pedal C on a Bb trumpet or for that matter, a tenor trombone lies about a step to a step and a half flat. Let it be flat (pardon the pun!) with a nice full sound.

Note that a Pedal C will slot right in tune on a Flügelhorn, French Horn, Bass Trombone or Tuba. It has to do with the difference in the diameter of the beginning of the tubing compared to the diameter in the final area of the tubing (the bell flare area) of a brass instrument - the diameter in the area of the bell is not large enough on a Bb trumpet for the node to hit in the correct place.

Used correctly, pedal notes do wonderful things. Over time they correct embouchure deficiencies, they help one attain more command over the instrument, and when doing them as directed in Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach book, where one is instructed to hold the last pedal note of each arpeggio exercise as long as possible with an attempted crescendo as one runs out of air to really work the blowing muscles, they develop tremendous air power, and perhaps even more important, they help the student learn the knack of how to blow with full force (as the air runs out) all the while maintaining complete relaxation in the throat and back of the tongue area. This helps prevent the problem so many players have with choking off the sound by straining as they try to play the upper register.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan, on a B flat flugelhorn can you play the first Pedal register? I can play all the Pedal tones on trumpet down to triple Pedal C, no problem. But on flugel I've never been able to play the first Pedal register ie. the F below low C (Pedal F) down thru Pedal D flat before Pedal C. I can get them out, but I really have to lean into them to force them out. Why? Ideas anyone?
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
John Mohan, on a B flat flugelhorn can you play the first Pedal register? I can play all the Pedal tones on trumpet down to triple Pedal C, no problem. But on flugel I've never been able to play the first Pedal register ie. the F below low C (Pedal F) down thru Pedal D flat before Pedal C. I can get them out, but I really have to lean into them to force them out. Why? Ideas anyone?

I've had the same problem.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny45635 wrote:
solo soprano wrote:

I've had the same problem.

Had? What happened?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal C Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
chapahi wrote:

Concerning the pedal C! Skip it! I used pedal C à la Stamp for years considering myself versatile. But, then I started the BE journey, learning how to blow double pedal C:s. Man, what a difference. Really doing something to your chops. Then at first I couldn´t do normal pedal C:s but now OK if I want to..... which I don´t. But my high register develops all of a sudden
So skip´em!!
The pedals C:s I meant of course and go for the double pedals C:s firsthand. Bonus better pedal C number 1!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Jazztoys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
The pedal notes, including Pedal C should be practiced correctly or left completely alone. Trying to force a Pedal C into tune is not practicing it correctly. Due to the physics involved, a Pedal C on a Bb trumpet or for that matter, a tenor trombone lies about a step to a step and a half flat. Let it be flat (pardon the pun!) with a nice full sound.

Note that a Pedal C will slot right in tune on a Flügelhorn, French Horn, Bass Trombone or Tuba. It has to do with the difference in the diameter of the beginning of the tubing compared to the diameter in the final area of the tubing (the bell flare area) of a brass instrument - the diameter in the area of the bell is not large enough on a Bb trumpet for the node to hit in the correct place.

Used correctly, pedal notes do wonderful things. Over time they correct embouchure deficiencies, they help one attain more command over the instrument, and when doing them as directed in Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach book, where one is instructed to hold the last pedal note of each arpeggio exercise as long as possible with an attempted crescendo as one runs out of air to really work the blowing muscles, they develop tremendous air power, and perhaps even more important, they help the student learn the knack of how to blow with full force (as the air runs out) all the while maintaining complete relaxation in the throat and back of the tongue area. This helps prevent the problem so many players have with choking off the sound by straining as they try to play the upper register.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Thanks ! Loved reading that.
kenhafer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazztoys wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Best wishes,

John Mohan

I've always noticed that my pedals are flat. I always assumed to bring it up. Thanks!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:

No, the situation is the same for me as for everyone - the Pedal F through Pedal Db are pretty close to impossible to play on a Flugel (note that these are not real, slotted notes on any three valve brass instrument).

I think the problem has more to do with the extremely deep mouthpiece of a flugel than anything else. Next time I have my Flugel out (which will be at the first Producers rehearsal Friday night as I'll be doubling some French Horn parts), maybe I'll try popping a c-cup cornet mouthpiece in and see if it makes those first Pedals easier.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazztoys wrote:

kenhafer wrote:
I've always noticed that my pedals are flat. I always assumed to bring it up. Thanks!

You're both very welcome!
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
solo soprano wrote:

No, the situation is the same for me as for everyone - the Pedal F through Pedal Db are pretty close to impossible to play on a Flugel (note that these are not real, slotted notes on any three valve brass instrument).

Nearly impossible is correct. The best I can do is produced a very fuzzy sounding first Pedal register on flugal which takes a lot of effort. I'm sure it's not doing the chops any good. From Pedal C on down on flugal it's all good. Best to save the Pedals for the trumpet

You note that the first Pedal register, "these notes are not real, slotted notes..." True.
========================================
For the trumpet players who read this and are not familiar with the first Pedal register here it is as explained to me by Bill Knevitt:

The notes in the first Pedal register are not on the horn, you have to make them. Since these notes have the feel of bending a note flat, the correct way to develop the right feel is to practice bending notes flat.

Example: Play a low C and slur down to B natural, second valve. This establishes the pitch. Now play the same two notes without using any valves for the B. This bends C flat a half step. When doing this remember to keep the wind moving, do not loosen your lips, think "aw" as you slur down and drop your jaw slightly.

Next continue down using the same idea, first using valves to establish the pitch, then bending the notes flat, using no valves. When you get to low G, you will have played it as though it were a Pedal tone.

To develop the low F# use the same idea above starting on low B but with the second valve. Continue down, when you get to low F# with the second valve, you will have played it as though it were a Pedal tone.

To get to Pedal F which is nothing more than a low B flat bent flat a perfect fourth start on low B flat and continue down to Pedal F using the same idea, first using valves to establish the pitch. You will notice the last two notes B flat to Pedal F uses no valve chances.

To see if your playing the Pedal F correctly play a low B flat, bent it down to Pedal F, and then slur back up to B flat. The second B flat should feel the same as the first, with the same full tone and vibration.

If Pedal F is a low B flat bent four notes flat, than Pedal E is a low A bent four notes flats, and so on. Play the octave above first to determine the pitch, then bend the notes flat into the pedals.

Best Wishes For Continued Success on Trumpet!!
Larry
Paladin53

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information. Thank you John Mohan for your thoughts and solo soprano for sharing that information from Bill Knevitt.

When I play down from pedal F toward pedal C, my fullest tone seems to drop to G, more than a step or step and a half below pedal C. I can bend it sharper, but it wants to pop out around G.
Does that seem normal?
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin53 wrote:
Good information. Thank you John Mohan for your thoughts and solo soprano for sharing that information from Bill Knevitt.

When I play down from pedal F toward pedal C, my fullest tone seems to drop to G, more than a step or step and a half below pedal C. I can bend it sharper, but it wants to pop out around G.
Does that seem normal?

Perfectly normal, "Paladin53"

Your first Pedal C will be extremely flat -- as much as 4 or 5 notes, like in your case. To try and play this note in tune at first would be the wrong approach. Let it hang flat for a long time, a few weeks to months. Work for a full sound and vibration. It will in time automatically work itself up into pitch as you develop.

How to practice Pedals:

- Do not push the lips forward.
- Do not roll the lips out in any way.
- Do not use different fingerings for the pedals.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Due to the physics involved, a Pedal C on a Bb trumpet or for that matter, a tenor trombone lies about a step to a step and a half flat.

I'm sorry to be contradictory John, but you are absolutely wrong about the trombone. Pedal Bb and all the notes down to pedal E (concert pitch) slot just fine and in tune on small-bore tenor trombones.

I started on trombone when I was ten, it was my primary instrument until I was 30, and I still pull one out for rock gigs at 52. I've never owned a bass trombone, nor even a large-bore tenor. Every trombone I've ever owned (eight, that I can quickly think of) ranged from small (.484) to medium-large (.525) bore. Every one had easily playable pedals. Pretty much every decent trombone player I've ever played with could play a loud, in-tune, slotted pedal Bb.

Very few of the trumpet players I've ever played with could play a solid pedal C. I studied with a student of Claude Gordon for four years, and I never could play a decent pedal C.

Here's a clip of me playing Superbone and trumpet with a local Rolling Stones cover band. At around the five-minute mark I start playing a pedal G on the Superbone, in third position -- the correct position for a G. It may not be the most awesome pedal G in the world, but I wasn't doing anything special to play it and I was using a .484-bore Superbone and a Jet-Tone Buddy Morrow Lead mouthpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQRBFJJVSs
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Let it be flat (pardon the pun!) with a nice full sound.

Brilliant! That simplifies things a lot. Thanks.
jtrumpet13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that while practicing the pedal notes in the Stamp book, I have had success getting up into the " high register " consistently. If you do them correctly and try to get a consistent sound from low register to pedal register, you will find that the results are amazing.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting commentary about pedal C attributed to Arturo and Jim Manley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct449XnJwzE
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bothered with pedal notes for years now. I'm not entirely sure but perhaps they are not useful for anything much except developing a much thicker tone in your lower register. However when people want to play high then they have too many double chins or pockets of air in their chops instead of an efficient airstream bouncing off the tongue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: