• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

4 pm, pacific time, live stream from FB "Trumpet Lover&

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arttrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: 4 pm, pacific time, live stream from FB "Trumpet Lover& Reply with quote

good sunday

Last edited by arttrumpet on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this was a great question and answer session and I hope that Arturo does more of them. It isn't often that someone of his stature does something like this that is open to "anyone." There were some technical difficulties, so I did not hear the entire discussion, but here are a few things that I found interesting:

- He spoke highly of Claude Gordon, particularly Claude's recommendation to incorporate the third valve (vice first and second) to play A and/or E in some of Clarke's Technical Studies. Helps with finger dexterity. Arturo also demonstrated a cool variation on Clarke's Third Technical Study.

- He mentioned that he prefers .470 bore on his trumpets. He also played flugelhorn during the discussion, and I believe he said that it was a Van Laar Oriam. Sounded great. I think he also mentioned that Inderbinen makes a nice flugelhorn.

- Apparently, he once played exclusively on a 3C, even on flugelhorn, but now highly recommends against that. Pick the mouthpiece that helps you get the right sound.

- He emphasized the importance of using a metronome for practice, and even for using it with fingering exercises when not blowing through the horn (just pressing the valves or using something like the Sandovalves).

- He is in the studio today (April 8th) recording his new album. I didn't hear any details beyond that.

I'm looking forward to the next one.
arttrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Dayton, it was my pleasure to share ideas with all who were interested. So far you are the only one who watched it out of this site.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arttrumpet wrote:
Thank you so much Dayton, it was my pleasure to share ideas with all who were interested. So far you are the only one who watched it out of this site.

If there had been more advance notice, I would have loved to have seen as much of this as might have been possible on Thursday. But I didn't even know this was happening until yesterday . . . can you let us know sooner next time, Arturo? Thanks, my man!
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second that about more notice. I'd love to lurk for a session like that.

I'd suspect that many people here might not recognize you just from your TH name, and that if you had used your real name in the subject line you would have had a much larger response. Thanks for taking time for something like this!

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
arttrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 17th, 4 pm pacific time, wuth special guest: Malcolm McNab!!!! on "Trumpet Lover" page on Facebook.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Arturo.

If I'm not a facebook person, can I still join in?

Thanks again . . . I'm looking forward to it!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arttrumpet wrote:
May 17th, 4 pm pacific time, wuth special guest: Malcolm McNab!!!! on "Trumpet Lover" page on Facebook.

That's coming up . . . Tuesday . . . and wanted to ask again, do I have to be on Facebook to watch this?

I found this page, but I don't see where streaming video might take place there.

Thanks again, Arturo!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great Facebook video session with Arturo Sandoval last night – fun and informative. His guest this time was Wayne Bergeron. A few things that popped out at me (my recollection).

First, they both do the same initial warm up, which starts on middle G with progressively harder attacks. Something like: breath attack G (soft), duh attack G (a bit louder) and then a tuh attack (even louder). I believe they both mentioned the importance of the various ways to “attack” a note.
They both said they do Caruso exercises daily, and indicated that Caruso can really help with endurance.

They both emphasized the importance of being a complete trumpet player. Wayne pointed out that in studio sessions one has to be able to play many styles proficiently. He also stressed the importance of listening to learn the various styles. Arturo mentioned that Wayne has gradually become a proficient improviser, which he thought of as a big compliment to Wayne – even a top pro has continued to add to his arsenal.

Wayne indicated that switching to the Maggio-style embouchure “saved” his trumpet playing. Arturo seemed to agree with that, and indicated that he does Maggio exercises regularly, incorporating lip bends into them.

Interesting contrast in their approach to practice. Wayne indicated that his practice mostly consists of a warm up, some fundamental exercises and then whatever he was preparing for his next gig. Arturo said that he is a big believer in the books – Arban, Clarke and one other I cannot recall. Arturo also referred to an interview that Will Scarlett did with Clifford Brown in which Clifford indicated that he practiced 2-3 hours on days that he had a gig and 3-4 hours on days that he did not.

Lots of other good stuff as well, including them playing Arban duets, etc.

[Edit: wanted to add one more thing. Wayne discussed tuning. He said that he has his students close their eyes, bend a note until they think they have it centered, then open their eyes, look at the tuner, and adjust the tuning slide accordingly.]
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I'd love to watch these. Is there any way to get notice farther in advance?

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that haven't seen these video postings, the are recorded and available for viewing on-demand on Arturo's Trumpet Lover FB page. Well worth the time for all trumpet players to watch these. Despite being one of the greatest players off all time, Arturo takes pride in being a "trumpet learner," or ongoing student of the instrument. It's such a great attitude, and enables a lifetime of growth and improvement. His guest for July is Jerry Hey, so it promises to be another good session.

Thanks Arturo!
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the upcoming schedule:

July 13th, 4 PM (PDT), Jerry Hey
August 17th, 4 PM (PDT), Chuck Findley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: