• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Parduba double cup mouthpiece experiences?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Parduba double cup mouthpiece experiences? Reply with quote

Just wondering what people think of Parduba mouthpieces. Please state what model you play or tried and what you did or didn't like about it. Thanks, happy holidays

www.christianmcivormusic.com
www.christianmcivor.bandcamp.com
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harry James Model size 4 1/2 has long been my favored mpc for a Bb trumpet, I got my first one when I was a junior in high school. Along with the trumpets I had it went bye bye while I was in USAF via my ex. In my comeback in 2006, I bought another. I can make it work, while others here on TH may not. For the Christmas season in 2006 I recorded Handel's Hallelujah Chorusin D Major. That song pops the double D! You'll note due to health and dental issues now at age 73, I've been forced to suspend playing ALL my horns, pic to C Tuba. Still, I'll say use whatever mpc that works best for you.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I tried a Parduba, a 5 as I recall. I like the range but the inner cup was so sharp it was uncomfortable so I moved on to a more standard cup. Other players swear by it. And, obviously, it worked for Harry.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

It's been my primary mouthpiece for several years now(although I use another for special purposes) and I've tried many. I get a nice full tone from it and I can play any style I chose with it. No major range increase but I use the 6 1/2 which is close to a 3c so I didn't expect much in that area. Very comfortable for me. I usually get 3cw's but didn't have to have a wider rim for this. You could always get one on a trial basis to be sure.
Bach Strad/Harrelson Conv.
Getzen Severinsen
Conn 8B (4-sale)
Martin Committee/Imperial (4-sale)
Olds Studio/(4-sale)
Flugelhorn:
Yamaha 231S Flugel

Last edited by cb3 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an older HJ model; really sweet piece. Wide, flat rim which is what I like. The FL mpc is also good, but the size runs different.
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the news is (almost) all good. The only drawback is the wide, comfortable rim tends to pin my lips down a bit. Everything else about it, I like. Good tone quality, nice bite for articulations, nicely balanced throat and backbore, good upper register support from the double cup design. I've used mine in theater shows and in dixieland, and it has provided me with some good endurance and range support.

Last edited by Albuquerque Duke on Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnbrai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is the throat on these mouthpieces?
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is 27 (standard).
missmybaby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Lee wrote:
The Harry James Model size 4 1/2 has long been my favored mpc for a Bb trumpet, I got my first one when I was a junior in high school. Along with the trumpets I had it went bye bye while I was in USAF via my ex. In my comeback in 2006, I bought another. I can make it work, while others here on TH may not. For the Christmas season in 2006 I recorded Handel's Hallelujah Chorusin D Major. That song pops the double D! You'll note due to health and dental issues now at age 73, I've been forced to suspend playing ALL my horns, pic to C Tuba. Still, I'll say use whatever mpc that works best for you.

PM me if you wanna keep the horns out of your estate sale, you old goat! Don't give up, slap the dentures in and have at it. Every time an old fart drops his horn, a fairy loses her wings. At the very least, get Suzie out and give her a good beasting!
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albuquerque Duke wrote:
My guess is 27 (standard).

It Depends.

My 6 and 6 1/2 are larger than 27 but smaller than 24, which is what I'm playing. Without gauging it, can't say for sure. The 6 1/2 is larger than the 6.

I have a couple (see above) but I don't play them.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current ones seem totally different to the old ones.
I have a very old 5 and I bought a replacement, but it had a totally different, rounder rim more like a bach CW rim.

This makes comparisons quite difficult.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
The current ones seem totally different to the old ones.
I have a very old 5 and I bought a replacement, but it had a totally different, rounder rim more like a bach CW rim.

This makes comparisons quite difficult.

Good point. I have owned and played new and old Harry James 5.5 models as well as new/old 6's, 6.5's and 7's. They are a bit different. The inner edge of the rim seems to vary the most - at least for me.

Maybe it's the rounder rim you mention that I am really feeling.

I've played Parduba's where the inner edge of the rim is very sharp, and I've played others where the bite is not as defined. They do vary a bit.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Parduba's Reply with quote

Dick Akright makes the most consistent Parduba's that ever were. His will be the same mouthpiece after mouthpiece. Now comes the qualifier...
Dick's copies are only going to be as good as the Parduba he copied when he bought the company and as many have said here, the variables were endless. John Parduba did not have modern technology at his disposal and I have been told, his "tooling" was a shaped end of a file to cut the rims and cups on the brass blanks. Naturally this would wear over the years and things changed. When I played with Harry, he used the same 5* HJ model for the years I was with him. I have had the opportunity to play some old Parduba's that John made next to the newer ones Dick makes today. The same 5* HJ model was quite different. Throat size on the new one was 27 and the old was a 25, which did not appear to ever have been drilled out. When I drilled the newer one out to a 25 hole, it did work better with my King balanced that I got from Harry in 1968. That combination really does work but the trouble is, try and find a King Symphonic Super 20 with a sterling bell and leadpipe in the balanced configuration that Harry used. Mine is perfect and will never be cheap when I decide to sell it someday. As for the Parduba mouthpieces being used on other horns, lots of guys on the band over the years used them, Nick Buono being one of them. For what it's worth, when Ray Amado came up with the original Jet-Tone designs, Parduba was his role model. Ray designed his line of Jet-Tones with a more friendly rim [albeit quite wide] and the mouthpieces he did for Doc, Snooky, Maynard etc. were much more conventional in approach, especially Doc's standard 5C style, unlike the standard Jet-Tones in his line-up.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Parduba's Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Dick Akright makes the most consistent Parduba's that ever were. His will be the same mouthpiece after mouthpiece. Now comes the qualifier...
Dick's copies are only going to be as good as the Parduba he copied when he bought the company and as many have said here, the variables were endless. John Parduba did not have modern technology at his disposal and I have been told, his "tooling" was a shaped end of a file to cut the rims and cups on the brass blanks. Naturally this would wear over the years and things changed. When I played with Harry, he used the same 5* HJ model for the years I was with him. I have had the opportunity to play some old Parduba's that John made next to the newer ones Dick makes today. The same 5* HJ model was quite different. Throat size on the new one was 27 and the old was a 25, which did not appear to ever have been drilled out. When I drilled the newer one out to a 25 hole, it did work better with my King balanced that I got from Harry in 1968. That combination really does work but the trouble is, try and find a King Symphonic Super 20 with a sterling bell and leadpipe in the balanced configuration that Harry used. Mine is perfect and will never be cheap when I decide to sell it someday. As for the Parduba mouthpieces being used on other horns, lots of guys on the band over the years used them, Nick Buono being one of them. For what it's worth, when Ray Amado came up with the original Jet-Tone designs, Parduba was his role model. Ray designed his line of Jet-Tones with a more friendly rim [albeit quite wide] and the mouthpieces he did for Doc, Snooky, Maynard etc. were much more conventional in approach, especially Doc's standard 5C style, unlike the standard Jet-Tones in his line-up.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808

I got my Parduba 6.5 from Musician's Friend. Does Dick supply them with Parduba's? Thanks.
ws tpt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Musician's Friend Reply with quote

I have had the good fortune to speak with Dick Akwright a number of times and several of those were about custom Parduba mpc's for local mariachi players (our local music store orders through Harris Teller, a distributor to the music industry). Harris Teller, WWBW (and all its viariations, Giardinelli, Music 123, etc) Sam Ash, -any retailer that sells the Parduba or Rudy Muck-ALL of these are supplied either directly to the seller or webstore or to the supplier. Dick Akwright is the sole owner for the original Parduba and Rudy Muck designs. Hope this clears up your questions.

All the best, WS
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Parduba's Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
That combination really does work but the trouble is, try and find a King Symphonic Super 20 with a sterling bell and leadpipe in the balanced configuration that Harry used. Mine is perfect and will never be cheap when I decide to sell it someday.

I heard (again no corroboration) that the King company made 30 of these Symphonic Super 20s to the balanced configuration of Harry's specifications and a condition of that order was that none would be sold to other than Harry James himself. Would it be possible that he gifted to others the remainder or that the King Company still has some of these in their vaults. If the latter, wouldn't Harry's heirs have first option to purchase and if refused they could be offered publically.
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Parduba 3 trumpet and flugelhorn mouthpiece in my collection.

I could not make the trumpet mouthpiece double cup design work for me at all (ie. bad sound and no increased efficiency over other mouthpieces) when using a traditional embouchure set up, but it works well with good sound and efficiency when I'm using a nonconventional MSC/TCE/BE embouchure. go figure...lol. Very comfortable wide and flat cushion type rim though.

The Parduba 3 flugelhorn mouthpiece is my current flugel mouthpiece of choice when playing with either a traditional or an MSC/TCE/BE embouchure. The double cup is much less pronounced than the distinctive two cups of the trumpet piece. In fact, it's almost nonexistent unless you look real closely so it's really much more like a traditional single cup funnel shaped flugel piece. However, it's one of the few flugel pieces made in a small diameter so I don't sacrifice much range or endurance even though the cup is deep and still gives a great flugel sound. The rim is the same wide and flat cushion rim as the trumpet counterpart but I play great on it when using a traditional or MSC/TCE/BE embouchure.
olbrneyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a HJ 5* Parduba for 40 years. I had several that were given to me by Harry and by Pee Wee Monte, Harry's manager. I also had 2 King HJ gold plated model balanced trumpets. Sad to say, when my marriage ended, I lost all those things.
I am playing a "NEW" Parduba 5* now and it is definately not the same. The only mouthpiece I have ever played that was close to this piece was the Callet Varicup when Jerry first made it. He also made a Soloist trumpet around 1990 that was almost a perfect copy of Harry's balanced King.
The Parduba is not easy for most guys to play. I played Bachs, and Jet tones, and Schilke for a couple of years until Harry gave me a Parduba when I was 16 years old. It fit like a glove.
You can't overblow it or it will kill you. It also works best with a large bore horn. I can play a low "G" that is huge, or a Double high "G" that is as big as a house with this mouthpiece.
My wife was Harry's girl singer near the end of his life. She has recordings of Harry in 1981 where his tone was still enormous. I recently heard Harry's final recording, from three months before he died. He still sounded like Harry James. NOBODY will ever sound like him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
anmol77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Teller, WWBW (and all its viariations, Giardinelli, Music 123, etc) Sam Ash, -any retailer that sells the Parduba or Rudy Muck-ALL of these are supplied either directly to the seller or webstore or to the supplier.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Parduba 6. One that I think was made fairly recently (last 5 years).

Compared to a normal, bowl-shaped cup it seems fairly efficient. I think there's a sweet spot where everything would be easy to play but I never got used to it. I always found that some notes rang out much more than others. I suppose that just means that the slots aren't where I am used to them being and I didn't use it for long enough to acclimatise.

I've heard a rumour that despite the Harry James model being popular Mr Parduba had made James' mouthpiece and couldn't precisely remember the design in order to reproduce it.

Compared to all other double-cup designs the second cup is much bigger, which personally I think is a bad thing.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/

Last edited by trumpetplanet on Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: