• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

And The Winner Is....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbhalpern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: And The Winner Is.... Reply with quote

All:

I finally got around to trying several trumpets at the one local music shop that has a good selection. I tried 4 new trumpets (Yamaha 4335, Bach 37 Strad, B&S Challenger 1 and B&S McNab Exquisite) and one pre-owned 1971 Bach Strad 43 that was in excellent condition.

Since I am a beginner, I was more concerned with playability and build quality as opposed to relatively subtle differences in tone color. The horn that leaped off the page by those standards was the 1971 Bach. So the story of the first horn is complete

Best,
Mitch
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Playability" is a subjective and transient factor. As you gain proficiency you may find that what you defined as "playability" has only to do with you and your skill set and doesn't involve the horn at all. As for evaluating "build quality," how does a person make that determination, particularly a person with no knowledge or experience in building horns?

In learning to play trumpet there is too much emphasis on equipment and not enough emphasis on gaining proficiency. Last year my brother-in-law called me for advice on what trumpet to get for his 10 year old grandson/beginning trumpet student. He'd been to a music store and had heard a lot of good things about the Bach Strad. So he wanted to know if I thought a Bach Strad was the horn he should buy his 10 year old grandson/beginning trumpet student.

I explained to him that at his grandson's level of proficiency it wouldn't matter what horn he played as long as it was in working condition. That holds true for ANY beginning student. I also explained that when a 10 year old beginning student finds out how difficult it is to play and become proficient on trumpet he may very well quit before he really even gets started.

I hope the horn you chose turns out to be perfect for you in every way. That being said, in my 56 years of experience playing trumpet, it isn't the horn, it's the player.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Mitch. Enjoy playing the Bach Strad 43!
Piccolo Stomvi
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you picked very reputable horns to consider Mitch. I have owned horns from each of the manufacturers you considered, and I would say they all make quality instruments. You appear to have some skill in playing trumpet, in that you could go out and try different instruments and choose what you felt most comfortable playing. That is a good thing. I would have no issue recommendind a Bach 43 to anyone. Should your preference change over the years, I think there will probably be a market for a Bach 43. I bought a Bach 37 more than thirty years ago, and it is still one of my favorite trumpets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: