• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New to Bill Adams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: New to Bill Adams Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So i started doing the Bill Adams routine a month or so ago and have really been enjoying it so far. I just had a couple of questions about some parts of the routine.

I was wondering just generally, when you reach a point say in the Long tones where you feel the sound isnt reaching that resonant point (for me this is usually around F/F# in the long tones) should you stop there and not go any further until you get that resonant sound?

The same in Clark #1 really as i can play it up to the top C but its usually around the Bb point that i start to feel the tension creep in and the sound isnt as resonant.

I'm from the UK and was just wondering if anyone could put me in contact with a Bill adams student over here?

Thanks!
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

First thing, It's "Adam." A common mistake!

Not having heard you play it's difficult to guide you on trumpet advice, but I can say that the quality of the sound is the goal. Keep that in mind as you play.

Also, there is no magic in the copies of the routine you can find on the internet. They are very good organizations of good material, but they are just exercises when taken out of the context of a lesson with a student of Mr. Adam. It's truly wonderful that you are getting into his approach, but if you really want to understand what it's all about, it's best to seek out one of his students and take a LOT of lessons. Maybe someone here can locate a UK-based Adam student?

Best of luck to you!
- Matt
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that you get together with Tom Walsh in London. He isn't an Adam student, but he has spent lots of time learning from Jerry Hey, Larry Hall, and several of the other LA-based Adam students.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
ShipsAhoy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some videos here:

https://www.facebook.com/trumpettuesdayuk/

Cheers,

SA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: