• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about 4 weeks now, and no sign of the honeymoon wearing off.
I did end up selling the 1.5C/#10-2/25. It just wasn't right for me -- I'm not sure if it was the cup, the backbore, or a combination, but I just didn't like the way it blew.

The 1.5SO/#1/25, on the other hand, just continues to get better and better the more I play it. I initially didn't like it on the Bb, but as I've gotten used to it, its great. I also ended up replacing the springs in my Bb's valves, and I also put in metal guides (figured I'd try them while I was replacing the springs), and I think that helped add some additional resonance to the Bb which works well with the SO cup.

I still couldn't be happier. Pickett mouthpieces are the real deal, and as I and others have said, the customer service is top notch. No matter what style of mouthpiece you need, I'm confident that Peter Pickett can fix you up with something that will work great for you!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit of thread revival on my part... but why not?

Have to agree, the service is superb and the order updates are reassuring.

I decided a few weeks ago that I'd revisit the Pickett 1.5C (I like my modular version), but this time as a one-piece with a slightly larger throat - so, ordered a 1.5C cornet, #1 (large) BB and #25 throat.
Arrived a couple of days ago, and although I knew I'd like it, I've been really surprised just how much of a difference the 25 throat (and Pickett's backbore as a onepiece, rather than screwing in a Warburton 10 or 12) made - the blow is spot on where I want it and the high register just leaps out, yet with a tone which is a little more adaptable than my Patrick 1.5c (the current reigning champion ). I'm still not completely convinced that the rm is as comfortable as the Patrick is, for me, but it's not unsatisfactory in any way, shape or form.

Time will tell if this is a honeymoon or simply a good match - hopefully I can match Jason and go honeymoon-free, as this is really getting me excited.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are awesome.

I did end up selling the 1.5C/10-2/25 as it didn't blow right for me. The Pickett SO cup is a bit too deep for all around playing for me.

There never was a honeymoon with the Pickett though -- the 1.5SO played great the first day, and still plays great. Looking back though, I should have bought the 1.5B or 1.5BC (in place of the C)...and I may still, yet.

Last edited by jaysonr on Sat May 07, 2016 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed, I won't be surprised if there is a honeymoon crash, but we'll see..

Agreed, it does sound like you might've preferred the 1.5B or BC... or maybe the 1.5C with a different backbore, maybe a standard series?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Fingers crossed, I won't be surprised if there is a honeymoon crash, but we'll see..

Agreed, it does sound like you might've preferred the 1.5B or BC... or maybe the 1.5C with a different backbore, maybe a standard series?

Probably so -- either a 1.5C/1/25, 1.5B/1/25 or 1.5BC/1/25 would have been best, and I may still very possibly do that!
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
$20 says you'll be looking for a new one in less than a year...

Ahem...
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Ahem...

hahaha
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Ahem...

hahaha

Yeah, pretty sure I won that one.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Ahem...

hahaha

Yeah, pretty sure I won that one.

Yeah, you did.
I'll close the thread with this:

I really like the mouthpieces, they just weren't right for what I want right now. They seem to resonate a little differently (at least for me and w/ my horn), and the decision to continue looking was not made lightly and was made with trusted ears in front of the bell.

The people (Peter and Eric) are top notch...1st class folks.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are you looking for that's different?

Something in the rim profile, the bite you perceive or purely the sound you're getting at the end of it?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
So what are you looking for that's different?

Something in the rim profile, the bite you perceive or purely the sound you're getting at the end of it?

I wasn't going to get into too many details, because I think it was a player -> mouthpiece -> horn mismatch and not an actual issue with the pieces since so many people (many great players too) who like them, but since you asked, here are some specific details about what I ran into with them.

I'll add the disclaimer that all the comments below are more specifically related to my C trumpet. I ended up trying a plain Pickett 1.5C (stock throat/backbore) for my Bb that worked quite well. However, I at least want to have the same rim for both horns (if not the same cup also). For some odd reason, I really wanted these things to work, and I worked very hard to make them work. I was so happy w/ them at first, I guess that maybe there was a bit of denial that they ultimately wouldn't work out? I dunno. I think I was about to get to a point to where I was going to hurt my playing by making these work on my C (probably as much a mental thing as anything).

My articulation simply wasn't as clean over time using the Pickett. I'm not sure why. I also wasn't able to get a clean initial attack, especially after I had been playing a bit. (I think related to...)

For the "SO" cup, although I have almost always played cups on the deeper, more cup-volume end of the spectrum blew more like a very deep "B" style cup than say a 1X style cup. Also, the SO cup felt like it had a higher alpha angle than the depth of the cup might would otherwise suggest it to have. It was ultimately more of convex v than I expected it would be when I first ordered it. Their C cup was too shallow for me on my C (I sounded very bright on it), I also tried the B and BC in a 2 piece setup and the BC was closer to what I wanted in a cup, but still not quite.

The sound I recorded, and then had reported to me from others in front of the bell was that I (a.) generally just didn't sound like myself, and (b.) more specifically sounded quite dull at mf volumes down, but when I pushed it, It'd light up to a point, and then would get strangely thin/bright. It sounded good at f.

On my C trumpet, 3rd space C was a never-ending battle on each one I tried, and I was not only resorting to 2+3 fingerings, but also a little 3rd slide as well. I haven't had this problem with another mouthpiece. This was with both the 10-2 and #1 backbores w/ both a 25 and 24 throat. My C trumpet isn't great, but it was a good deal, and this hasn't been an issue w/ other pieces (Kanstul-Besson Classic w/ Najoom pipe...specifically stamped as a "524" version which Mr. Najoom told me in an e-mail was the best version of his C pipe).

That all being said, I've tried too much lately, and I need to just find something and stick w/ it. I'd really like to try a 1C/1X setup like I mentioned in another thread (or maybe a Laskey 80 rim on a Bach 1X), but I'm playing a Laskey 80C right now that is working quite well...I just wish it was an MD instead -- I'd prefer it a little deeper.

It's funny how the Laskey 75's I tried totally didn't do it for me, and I initially thought an 80 would be too big, but the Laskey 80 rim at least feels pretty close to just right as anything I've tried recently. I'd love to come across a threaded 80 rim which I could try on some different underparts.

But, ultimately Mr. Reiche was right. He won this one.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayson,

If I may be so bold, I think you may be overthinking all of this. I think you need to get to a place (like Dillon's) where you can sit down and try 100 mouthpieces and just find one that works.

I always remember Mark Curry's quote (which probably slightly differs from what I write here, but you get the jist) "Any mouthpiece, even at it's very best, is still a compromise."

I think it's too easy to get wrapped up in alpha angles, rim contours, cup shapes, etc. I also think folks get wrapped up too much in how a mouthpiece feels, rather than what's being produced out of the other end of the horn (you're not in this camp, from what you've written). I heard Scott Laskey one time say that it may just not feel good sometimes, and that's ok. Not sure I agree with that 100%, but there's some truth in that statement.

I'm not advocating you switch back to the "old tried and true" Bach setup (I'm not a Bach mouthpiece player...I play Pickett actually), but you might sit down and spend some serious time with some of those really conventional setups. I bet you'll find something that will work, and it may help to guide you a little bit more in your safari. I often advise this with many adult students and comeback players that have studied with me, and it's usually pretty effective.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louie,
You're probably right to a point, and also perhaps read a bit further into what I wrote than I intended. I was going to let the thread lie, but since TKSop asked I decided to give an answer as to why they didn't work and let Mr. Reiche know why he won

I really don't get hung up on any of that other than that I know based on how my chops work that a lower alpha angle (steeper undercut, or whatever you want to call it) works best for me. If it's too high my articulations get fluffy and if I get the slightest bit of swelling going on my initial attacks get creepy.

For the Pickett pieces, I know that if I could go up to their shop and especially focus on trying backbores, I could get what I want. I'm pretty sure that the backbore was the issue that was causing the tuning issues on my C. Those issues, as well as what I was hearing on recordings and being told I sounded like, were what made me give up on the pieces because I was so conscious of them and I was working harder than normal physically to overcome them. I had a lesson after playing the Pickett piece a month and it was the worst I'd played in a year. I knew right then it was time to just admit that they weren't going to work.

This all started because I thought my teeth were crooked and causing an abrasion. I first tried a Hickman piece, and then decided I needed a smaller piece, and it was all downhill from there, hahaha.

As I mentioned in the previous reply, I'm playing a Laskey 80C w/ a 25 throat and stock backbore right now that is very, very close. I think I'd either like it better w/ his 75 backbore, or an 80MD with a 24/75 setup. Perhaps the 80C/25 can be my Bb piece and I'll get an MD 24/75 for C. In any event, I'm ready for the safari to be over; I'm tired
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to finish this thread off, I just heard back from Mark Curry about a 1.5B w/ a 24 throat in his Hitman blank. I'm excited to give that a try. His "B" cup is my favorite cup and has worked better for me than any other cup I've tried recently. I tried it in the 1 and it was just too big. I don't like his 1.25 rim, so we'll see how the 1.5 goes. I'm hopeful for this piece as it should cross-over between my C and Bb for me well also.

I'll update back if anyone is interested.
rc0809

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently switched from a Pickett (1.25 BC 24, #1) back to my Parke (650-285-24) for same reasons you stated, Jayson. The C, both middle and lower were very sharp on my Pickett on my C trumpet. I think it may be a gap issue. I'm using a Bach Philly with a melk 525EB leadpipe. The Pickett goes in about cm or so less than the Parke. I don't know too much about all of it but after wanting to like it for a month I put the Parke back in and now I'm making progress again, pitch center is much more secure. Just my experience.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc0809 wrote:
I've recently switched from a Pickett (1.25 BC 24, #1) back to my Parke (650-285-24) for same reasons you stated, Jayson. The C, both middle and lower were very sharp on my Pickett on my C trumpet. I think it may be a gap issue. I'm using a Bach Philly with a melk 525EB leadpipe. The Pickett goes in about cm or so less than the Parke. I don't know too much about all of it but after wanting to like it for a month I put the Parke back in and now I'm making progress again, pitch center is much more secure. Just my experience.

Thanks for posting! It makes me feel better to know someone experienced something similar!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickett will cut mouthpieces for sleeves as part of the ordering process. No need to wonder about those gap questions.

Kent
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr,

A couple of months ago, after a day or two of playing, according to you the Pickett mpcs were great. After two months they weren't working for you. The same thing happened with the Hickman last year. The mpcs, horn, etc., did not change, so the issue is you.

You can call it the placebo effect, nocebo effect, whatever, but it's a common issue for players to find a new mpc to work great for a while and then no longer. Since the mpcs you are trying are similar, in the nature of fine tuning, they should all play similarly, without great differences. It's an embouchure/technique problem.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
jaysonr,

A couple of months ago, after a day or two of playing, according to you the Pickett mpcs were great. After two months they weren't working for you. The same thing happened with the Hickman last year. The mpcs, horn, etc., did not change, so the issue is you.

You can call it the placebo effect, nocebo effect, whatever, but it's a common issue for players to find a new mpc to work great for a while and then no longer. Since the mpcs you are trying are similar, in the nature of fine tuning, they should all play similarly, without great differences. It's an embouchure/technique problem.

Points taken.

First off, the Hickman wasn't similar to anything else I've ever tried, however, and I'd still really like to try the "TBR" version of it one day. It was a great sounding piece. I also didn't play it nearly as long as the Pickett -- I knew fairly quickly that it wasn't going to work for me. The thing is, that I'm now at a point in my playing where I feel like I *am* able to fine tune some things. I know from a rim/cup standpoint what works and what doesn't. I've never messed w/ or thought about things like gap and reeves sleeves. The only backbores I've ever tried are standard Bach 10, 24, 7 type backbores (other than whatever was on the handful of Monette pieces I've tried). I think that Pickett #1 backbore was different -- perhaps had qualities of different Bach spec'ed backbores. I don't know. I think that is what the problem was. The SO cup seemed a little tight to me at the top of the cup for a big cup. I could have dealt with that over time, but besides, the BC felt better. It's all a moot point right now. I decided to move on a try something else in an effort to get some normalcy and stability back in my setup. I feel like the 6 or so weeks I gave these pieces was enough to adjust.

If you'll look a few posts up, you'll see where rc0809 experienced a similar issue w/ his C Trumpet with a Melk pipe. (As an aside does anyone know if Melk and Najoom worked together on the Najoom leadpipes at all?)

As for it being me. Yeah, I've had my share of playing issues in the past. In fact I didn't touch a trumpet for 10 years because of some of them. I regret not getting a good teacher back then. I lost 10 good years of playing I can't get back because I was discouraged. The Hickman experiment was the direct result of one of those issues. I thought I had an issue with a tooth -- and yeah, I did, but it was because I was rolling my bottom lip over my bottom teeth. I fixed that. A new mouthpiece didn't. I did. Actually, you know what Peter Bond did, because it was a thread of his I happened to come by that gave me my aha moment and made me say "let me try that" and BOOM! No more issue w/ my lower lip.

I have a good teacher now. He's heard me play.
I play, he gives advice.
I work on what he advises, and I get better.

I'm not perfect, but you know what I play better now than I ever have, and I have more confidence in my playing now than I ever have. And, you know what else, I have more fun playing now than I ever have.

I'm actually sorry for this thread to keep dragging on. I really liked the pieces, I still do, and I think with a different trumpet the ones I tried would have been a better match, or with my trumpet a different backbore. They, however are not super cheap mouthpieces, and they aren't super quick to get either.

But you are right, it was me, not the mouthpieces that were the problem, and that's why I'm really sorry this thread has been drawn out -- I wasn't going to bump it back up.

My initial purpose behind this thread was to give props to some people who make a quality product that works for a lot of people and deliver it with outstanding customer service.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:

My initial purpose behind this thread was to give props to some people who make a quality product that works for a lot of people and deliver it with outstanding customer service.

Bingo - and despite the eventual breakup, it still very much reads that way (from near enough everyone).
I don't think anyone has a negative opinion of Pickett's pieces.

I put mine to one side after the last (BBB) contest, too - it's not that I dislike it (I don't), but I can get a sound that's a little more pleasing (to me) for very similar effort with a few other pieces... still, I don't think I'll be selling this one anytime soon, I can see it coming in useful at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: