• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eyes closed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college some people would practice in a pitch black practice room with the lights off and the windows blacked-out. It sort of intensified listening by removing the distraction of sight.

I rarely close my eyes now when practicing and can't on gigs if I'm watching a conductor, especially the narcissistic ones. When I play things from memory I have my eyes open and mentally I can see the notes on the page. For me that happens with etudes and even when playing scales from memory.

I recently had a conversation with Harry Kim about doing this thing Claude Gordon called "How You Practice" where you work in reverse through an etude. At some point it's almost like you are on auto pilot and not even thinking of notes. He was talking about how he might write the horn parts for his Vine Street Horns but at some point during live shows he's not even thinking about the literal notes and just responding to what's going on.

I think closing your eyes and memorizing things and visualizing things all help us take music to that level. I'm glad that I can read music well but long ago I remember playing with other musicians that were fantastic and didn't read a note of music. It's easy to get to be a snob about that instead of realizing that we are artists with sound instead of just pressing the right button and hitting the right note. Our skill should eventually get to that point.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Maybe he doesn't want to look at the conductor

I've head stories that on some gigs it is imperative to keep your eyes open at all times to avoid the objects being thrown from the "audience". Especially if there's no screen in front of the band. Always know what the enemy is doing.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Maybe he doesn't want to look at the conductor

I've head stories that on some gigs it is imperative to keep your eyes open at all times to avoid the objects being thrown from the "audience". Especially if there's no screen in front of the band. Always know what the enemy is doing.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:

It's also important to keep your eyes open when there's a conductor, as the conductor may also throw objects at the trumpet section.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
ScottGerweck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
hose wrote:

It's also important to keep your eyes open when there's a conductor, as the conductor may also throw objects at the trumpet section.

In my experience, the conductors who "throw things" at the brass (as in aggressive, attack-like cues) are the best ones to avoid watching.

I've played under a few conductors like this who "play" the orchestra like a taiko drum. Not infrequently, it scares the horns and bones into cracking notes. We trumpets just throw it back.
D/Eb: Schilke E3L-4
Composer/Trumpeter/Conductor
Music Instructor, Ashbrook Independent School
mcalderone02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it can be very helpful in practice to work on my tone/sound production with my eyes closed. In rehearsals and performances, I never close my eyes.

On this note, I have been taking some Alexander Technique lessons and doing some reading on the Technique and AT recommends that you always keep your eyes open, so that you can fully take in your surroundings. When we over-focus our eyes on one area of our field of vision (a spot in the hall, our music stand, etc.) - it can create excess tension in our bodies. It feels weird to not stare intently at my music stand, but I have found it calming to take in my entire field of vision in performance situations.
KNatoli64

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While playing with eyes closed can serve a purpose, I think mcalderone02's experience studying Alexander Technique is valuable information. I like to think of the way I take in my surroundings in a performance like a panoramic camera shot. Often, closing our eyes is paired with a change in how our head balances on our spine, and a collapse in the sternum.

A great thing to try:
-sit, stand, or lay down.
-close your eyes and see what you notice about yourself
-with your eyes still closed, cover your eyes with your palms.
-at this point your eyes can be opened or closed but try to block all light from your eyes with your palms (without applying much pressure from your hands)
-With your hands there, experiment what it is like to look into the distance, though it is very dark
-When you feel ready, remove your palms, but have your eyelids closed so the change in light doesn't hurt your eyes. Check in again with what it is like to use your eyes to see something distant
-open your eyes and see how large the room is around you. If you are in a small practice room, know that there is space beyond the walls.
-When you read music, does the space around you escape your awareness? Do you have a physical reaction to the music stand or can you have panoramic vision while playing trumpet?

You can also experiment with Magic Eye books to really discover the different ways we can use our eyes.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple decades ago I was on this touring big band,and we were playing a concert in Toronto I think,on this circle stage that slowly rotated as the band played,with the audience around the whole stage; As we were playing a tune,I spotted this wonderful looking blonde in the first row,and kind of fell in love in 3 seconds(decades ago!) Well,the leader called a tune that I solo on,and I sometimes closed my eyes when I played,which I did this time..After the solo and shout chorus,I looked out there,and she had split! (so I thought)After thinking that maybe I played too many notes,she showed up again 2 tunes later!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Eyes closed? Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
tomtrum wrote:
Is there some magic quality that surfaces when one does this.

Yep.

It's because chicks dig it.

Sorry, dude. Chicks dig the guitar player, not the trumpet player.

I almost always have my music memorized, and more naturally play with my eyes closed on gigs. Like others have said, I find it less distracting. However, I'm trying to play more with my eyes open, to try to connect more with the audience (something which does not come natural to me).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: