• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reeves Classical mouthpieces?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reeves Classical mouthpieces? Reply with quote

I've seen the other, older threads, but I'm just wondering if anyone is regularly using a Reeves Classical piece as their main, all-around mouthpiece. I'd be interested to hear why and what your experiences have been like with this line. Thanks!

www.christianmcivormusic.com
MTBDude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 3C for quite a while before getting the JH (it suits my playing a little better). The 3C is a great piece for all around work. It felt a little easier to play than my bach 3C, and the rim was more comfortable. It sounded pretty good, and I didn't have any problems lighting it up. I still turn to it if I need a little more legit sound.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple Reeves 1c's, and I use them from time to time. I find that they are somewhat shallower than a classic Bach 1c, but have a nice sound and are easy to play. To me the shank seems a bit longer than most mouthpieces which gives it different feel and lowers the pitch in the upper register.

I really like the 1c on my rotary trumpets, especially for really soft things like Brahms, and I have used them on piston horns as well, including for Tchaik 4 last week. I also like them on my Eb trumpets.

JU
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Christian. I have tried them a few times. They are great mouthpieces, but they are definitely not all around mouthpieces. They produce a very rich, dark sound. I found it very difficult to get them to light up, even to the extent that a Bach C cup can light up. They sound beautiful, though.

In other words, they would be great for orchestral or legit stuff. But not for all-around purposes. But then again, that's exactly what they were designed to do. Working as intended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: