• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SC3 Mouthpiece Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: SC3 Mouthpiece Question Reply with quote

Long time player here, but never visited this part of the forum. Here is my backstory (please bear with me), followed by my question for all you MSC guys:

I played large mouthpieces and overblew through graduate school only to realize the toll this approach was taking on me as I began to play professionally. I've spent the next 20 years since, downsizing and working on efficiency. I'm classically trained, also a jazz soloist, some split lead playing, still play professionally but not as much as years ago, have a day job and daily trumpet practice is now limited to 1-2 hours.

Most playing I do is on an ACB TA-1 (Bach 7C or 7B'ish) on a custom ML bore horn. My big band, studio recording, and lead playing is on a Pickett Brass Paul Baron Lead (very similar to a Reeves 40S) and a ML bore Callichio 1S/7.

As I have been reading more about the MSC approach, I am finding that I already do almost all of it without ever having been taught it. Aside from the double tonguing, it seems that my approach is incredibly similar regardless of whether I am playing my deeper or shallower mouthpieces.

Due to large wedged and slightly overlapping front top teeth that cause some lip protrusion into any mouthpiece, I find it absolutely necessary to have a roomy upper cup (low alpha angle) in anything I play. Wider rims in medium small inner diameters (Bach 7 to 10.5'ish), with the high point not too close to the inner edge are ideal for my facial structure.

OK, backstory over, now the question(s)- Where would the SC3 fall in relationship to a Reeves 40S? Is the upper cup fairly generous? What other sized mouthpieces would the SC3 compare to?

If you actually made it this far into my post, thanks are definitely in order!!!
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a SC3. It felt like a very comfortable rim.

It says it's close to a Bach 10.5 rim...but felt bigger to me.

There is chop room, as there is a little underbite and the cup us not super shallow. Somewhere in between a Bach D and E

Really cool sound. Compact, lots of core, rich. Not super bright, but is a loud piece!
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
I had a SC3. It felt like a very comfortable rim.

It says it's close to a Bach 10.5 rim...but felt bigger to me.

There is chop room, as there is a little underbite and the cup us not super shallow. Somewhere in between a Bach D and E

Really cool sound. Compact, lots of core, rich. Not super bright, but is a loud piece!

Thanks for the info, NYC-player.
Adams A5
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I played large mouthpieces and overblew through graduate school only to realize the toll this approach was taking on me.>>

Nice that you are helping spread the word. Still not enough players, let alone teachers, that understand how much the arch the tongue and blow hard technique is holding them back, especially when the technique is combined with a large mouthpiece.

I can't offer any suggestions about Bob Reeves pieces. I've tried many but never found one that sounded right to my ears. But I can say that NYC's comments about the SC-3 very much match my own. And by loud he mean's very efficient. It responds with much less work so you gain a significant amount of endurance. Jerry makes sure that's true for all his mouthpieces and his trumpets too.

I would add a suggestion to combine an SC-3 with an SC-3s. Gig on the 3, but start practicing on the 3s. It will show you where you're still overblowing and what embouchure changes work to correct that. It's a perfect teaching tool if you pay careful attention. Once you master both, you'll have a great 'deep' piece and an incredible lead piece - in addition to great chops.

Best wishes, Kyle
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about the shallower cups SC mouthpieces now ....

The new SC1ss...does it have a cup like the SC3 or the SC3s??

I play around the rim size of the SC1ss, and like shallower cups. Every now and again Jerry makes something just magical.

I had a X5 with some modifications I used for years, should have NEVER given that away....I just loved that piece.

Hoping this new piece might be an interesting replacement for me.
tptguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some measurements on my own and though I can't claim they are dead accurate they may help some until lips and ears get a chance.

By my measurements the main cup, before it starts the flair into the throat is about 9mm deep on a Bach 7C. A SC-3 is about 7.5mm deep while SC-3s and SC-1ss are both about 5.5mm deep. For reference, I also measure a Jet Tone Al Hirt #4 at 5.5mm deep.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
I've done some measurements on my own and though I can't claim they are dead accurate they may help some until lips and ears get a chance.

By my measurements the main cup, before it starts the flair into the throat is about 9mm deep on a Bach 7C. A SC-3 is about 7.5mm deep while SC-3s and SC-1ss are both about 5.5mm deep. For reference, I also measure a Jet Tone Al Hirt #4 at 5.5mm deep.

Drooling** Im gonna call Jerry this week. Hope he has a SC1ss at his house. I think I'm gonna scoop one up

Thanks man
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:

This is very helpful as well. Looks like I should probably consider trying both. Sounds like the SC3 is fairly roomy. The SC3s sounds deep enough for me, but the upper cup chop room (alpha angle) would be the determining factor. My wedged, overlapping upper front teeth cause natural chop intrusion at the point of sealing the mouthpiece so upper cup room is more of a consideration for me than most. Again, thanks so much for the info. It is very helpful!
Adams A5
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
tptguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC, def call Jerry before going over. I think he told be the initial batch of SC-1ss had already sold out. But there is another batch on the way so call him to find out the timing. (718) 477-5803

Jason, I'll apologize for doing any 'analysis' via the internet, but your chops and mine sound quite similar. Initially, I couldn't play an SC-3s for my life. But with Jerry's help, it's now a breeze - and a delight. I think Jerry will let you try both and send one back if you like. But be sure to play both over the phone for Jerry before you return one. If you figure out how to grip the tongue with that upper meat hook (LOL) I think you'll be amazed at what can happen. And to me, it sounds like you are only a small step or two away. However, my apologies again for my internet guessimate. I do realize our shoes could well be very different.

Best wishes, Kyle
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I like the SC1ss I assume Jim can carve me a flug piece with the same rim?

Does jerry have a flugelhorn cup made yet?
tptguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry didn't mentioned an SC-1 flug piece. But I'm sure Jim could carve on. Maybe try the SC-3 flug when you are at Jerry's.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Jason, I'll apologize for doing any 'analysis' via the internet, but your chops and mine sound quite similar. Initially, I couldn't play an SC-3s for my life. But with Jerry's help, it's now a breeze - and a delight. I think Jerry will let you try both and send one back if you like. But be sure to play both over the phone for Jerry before you return one. If you figure out how to grip the tongue with that upper meat hook (LOL) I think you'll be amazed at what can happen. And to me, it sounds like you are only a small step or two away. However, my apologies again for my internet guessimate. I do realize our shoes could well be very different.

Best wishes, Kyle

Thanks for taking the time to share... I appreciate it, Kyle. If I don't come across a used SC3 soon, I'll give Jerry a call. If the SC3 rim is a good fit, the SC3s would definitely interest me as well.
Adams A5
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: