• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blowing Bubbles!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCLK

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've never heard of this exercise until now and I'm sure it's going to help fix some bad habits I've gotten into (tension/mismanged air ultimately leading to range problems, volume control, fatigue, swelling, poor articulation, difficulty with large intervals - you know pretty much everything). Just finished trying it out now. I love when you can tell that something is working and will help you.

This thread and some enlightening words about air flow by Rusty Russell's (Fleebat) post (found here: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97066 ) have been real eye openers.

A couple questions if anyone would be so kind:

1. Maybe a silly question - How exactly do you position the bucket? Are you to be bent over, finding something to prop it up, or between the legs?

2. How long, in a day, would one generally use this exercise?

3. Most importantly - Should the pitch change while playing into the bucket? My pitch wants to naturally rise almost a half-step, especially as I increase range. When I correct the pitch (say on a 4th space E), I wouldn't say the bubbles become any more or less "steady", but they certainly become more "vigorous" and I hear the tone of the pitch clearer through the water. I will say that trying to play the proper pitch feels foreign, yet easier! Perhaps this an indication of my need for correction?

*** As I experimented in the bucket again I notice the need to aim the air more "straight" to play the correct pitch and playing "normal", the half-step up, my air direction rides high. I know the point of the exercise is not to analyze your air-flow and focus on the stream of bubbling - I'm just trying to get a grip on where I went wrong.

I'm sorry if I sound like a dummy with some of the terminology. I play frequently and never had to really investigate "chop" (more specifically air-flow) problems before. Everything just worked. I think I've formed some really bad habits these last couple of months through hard-playing gigs and extremely lax practicing. Now that I'm back into practicing and playing more "legit" music, man do I see, feel, and hear the problems I've developed.

Apologies for the long post, I'm just excited at this wonderful discovery.

Thanks for any feedback!

Ryan Krewer
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I always set the bucket on something high enough so I don't need to bend over, such as the kitchen counter.
2. Depends on the individual. Sometimes a few long tones. Sometimes Clarke studies, exteneded chromatic scales to see just where the tension sets in, or even songs. Even Sclossberg slurs to see if I am changing the blow from one pitch to another.
3. The pitch rises because sound moves faster through water than through air.

Focus on the bubbles, not the sound, the air or anything ekse. If the bubbles are small and continuous you are blowing flat out. We are getting the blowing to be a result of the bubbles, not the other way around.

Results may not be realized right away. What you do today will benefit your trumpet playing sometime next week or further into the future.
DR

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question?

first,when I play in the bucket I cannot really see the bubbles as the water gets very disturbed and its even throwing itself out of the bucket

when I place the horn under sharp angle than its better, but I myself am in strange position, as the bucket lies on the table

second, I feel very tyred after 5 minutes of blowing into the water, is it normal?
Jkobb13

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the top edge of the bell is only about an inch under the surface.

As for the tiredness, focus only on the bubbles, making sure they are coming out small and very steady. Your fatigue will go away once you get your mind preoccupied with the sight of the bubbles.

Keep in mind that the water isn't meant to be a "resistance trainer" or some garbage like that. It should feel nice and easy if your blowing straight.
Mike W

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when we try to put things into practice we have only read about, we end up creating more tension then we want. So if are you able to connect with one of Mr. Adams students, that would be the best way to get the concept of what is supposed to be occuring. If you can, get in touch with Billy B. He is an excellent teacher and would be an invaluable resource...imho.
bln748

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Bubbles Reply with quote

I know a middle school band director who has put a bucket of water under every brass player's chair in the band room. Each bucket has a brick in the bottom to keep it on the ground and a 5/8'' or 1/2'' tube (from a hardware store). The students do this every day: They stick their mouthpieces into one end of the tube and the other end in the water and then blow. He swears by this method, and I want to get one for myself.
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Bubbles Reply with quote

Would one be considered to be overblowing if instead of bubbles, it looks like a jacuzzi head? but it is accompanied by a big sound.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: