• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just Joined the Conn 80A Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. I'll try it both ways, for sure. I tuned it only with the microtuner because the other slide was originally designed to be used only as a quick change to A.
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a CG Personal in my 80A and to get the sound I like I tend to overblow but mostly just lack of feedback from the heavy wall thickness. Alone no such problem. Need to just trust the horn to carry. It will just fine.

I use the micro tuner S that is how it was intended. The Conn 4 mouthpiece e was tooo bright for me.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cornet teacher way back when was a conn 80a player, and he said the micro tuner was only for adjusting an 8th inch or so. On my 80a and also 8a slender model, which I played a LOT, things were much better only opening the micro by a little bit. More that a half inch was def not as good.

That's why it's called micro tuner.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale

I play mine with a Curry 5BBC on a blank with the correct taper of .060" per inch. I really like it better than I did with the no letter Wicks.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I took the 80A to church orchestra rehearsal last night. It's a very good, large (40+ piece) orchestra, and we play some fun music. I began the rehearsal using a Curry 3DC. mouthpiece, but the intonation was a little wonky. The second piece was The Pines of the Appian Way, which we're playing for Easter. I switched to the Conn 4 short-shank for that piece and intonation was much better, I had no slotting issues, and the high C's popped out pretty easily. It will put out some serious volume if you push it! I stuck with that setup 'till close to the end of rehearsal, when we played a more melodic piece. For that, I switched to a Wick 4B. Really nice, round sound, intonation still good.

I did notice that the sound of the instrument changes slightly depending on which tuning slide you use. With the "A" slide all the way in and using the micro tuner only, it has more of a cornet sound. With the micro tuner all the way in and using the "A" slide only to tune it, it has more of a trumpet sound. Subtle differences, but I went back and forth a number of times with the same impression. I didn't notice any differences with slotting or intonation either way, though, but I'm still familiarizing myself with the horn.

Just one "real world" play test so far, but I liked the old horn! I was probably a bit premature in my analysis of it after having it only a few days, but it didn't just jump out at me when I first played it (like some horns have). It will be fun trying it on a few more styles of music, and I'm keeping it in my triple case so I'll have it with me at rehearsals/gigs.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did notice that the sound of the instrument changes slightly depending on which tuning slide you use. With the "A" slide all the way in and using the micro tuner only, it has more of a cornet sound. With the micro tuner all the way in and using the "A" slide only to tune it, it has more of a trumpet sound. Subtle differences, but I went back and forth a number of times with the same impression. I didn't notice any differences with slotting or intonation either way, though, but I'm still familiarizing myself with the horn.

I've noticed the same thing. I asked the question a while back about the change in sound with this adjustment and the answers were mixed. Real world is real world. Thanks for the update.

Quote:
I began the rehearsal using a Curry 3DC. mouthpiece, but the intonation was a little wonky. The second piece was The Pines of the Appian Way, which we're playing for Easter. I switched to the Conn 4 short-shank for that piece and intonation was much better, I had no slotting issues, and the high C's popped out pretty easily. It will put out some serious volume if you push it! I stuck with that setup 'till close to the end of rehearsal, when we played a more melodic piece. For that, I switched to a Wick 4B. Really nice, round sound, intonation still good.

I've noticed the same with the Curry DC and TC. Short shanks really work so much better.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd take a quick picture of the 80A and post it. Lacquer is worn in spots, but it's original and a nice gold color. Other than the dent in the bell bow that I had repaired, it's virtually dent and repair free - a very straight horn.

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Here's the best of my two courtesy of DQ:

[img][/img]

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! How does the taper and bell flare of the copper bell compare to the original?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Nice! How does the taper and bell flare of the copper bell compare to the original?

It is way larger. DQ had done one of these before and the bell is the largest he found that works with this horn. The bell measures five inches.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never posted pics of my baby before but I wanted to share with other 80A lovers. Here is a link to a small album of my 1915 80A Cornet.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101194795232754.1073741830.18302558&type=1&l=1bb7610c03
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Footnote to this thread: I just bought a case for the 80A (it didn't come with one) on eBay. It came a couple days ago and is pretty nice for what I paid for it. I'm pretty sure it is a Director trumpet case, but it's from the right era, around the mid '50s. A simple relocation of the valve block holder and it was a good fit.

BrassTonics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have finally acquired a Conn 80A Cornet/Trumpet hybrid and it has wonderful with a old Conn 4mpc I have. The 80A is a 40s Victor model.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out what a Conn 80A is. Is it really just a trumpet? Does the sound have anything in common with a shepherd's crook, British Brass Band coronet? I'm looking for an economical cornet, but I want one that is short to make using mutes a little easier. The Conn 80A doesn't look much shorter than a conventional trumpet.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter than a trumpet but longer than a SC cornet. Sounds like a cornet but with a little better projection. After that it's all mouthpiece and your approach.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale - congrats on your accepted offer, and welcome to a new frontier!

Note that the old and 'new' mouthpieces may extend the same into the receiver, but the old mpc's are shorter by a smidge overall. I find the right length 'piece makes a difference in the liveliness of the blow, a difference that can't be accounted for at either tuning slide.

Second, the trumpet-like main slide is a stepped-bore tube. I find the best for me by drawing out about 1/2 an inch there plus 1/4 inch at the microtuner. This lets me dial in the sweet spot when using a period-correct mouthpiece.

Last, I wish Conn made these with a first-piston trigger, or one that actuated the microtuner, vertically. That would allow you to cut the 3rd slide back a bit for all the 2&3 notes and provide flexibility without the added 'lip' work.

You wrote about like the 76A Connquest for marching. I think you'll like the 80A even more for that type of use.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what a Conn 80A is. Is it really just a trumpet? Does the sound have anything in common with a shepherd's crook, British Brass Band coronet? I'm looking for an economical cornet, but I want one that is short to make using mutes a little easier. The Conn 80A doesn't look much shorter than a conventional trumpet.

The 80 A is a Conn Victor, their 'pro' product line. They are about as long as a Bach 181 long cornet. They don't quite play the BBB timbre as well, IMO, as those with a shepherd's crook such as Bach 184. Maybe Dale can attest and continue on that comparison. My crook'd Bach is a CR310. Good, but a student model.

These Victors take a cornet mouthpiece, so they start out small at the receiver. See my note above about the stepped-bore main slide. Add to that the comment up top about a the microtuner / "opera glass" located just before the bell. I never measured the bore at the microtuner, but I shall. That increase in pipe diameter all spells conical, a tell-tale physical characteristic of a cornet.

In fast passages, IME/ability, the 80 A does not take the turns as smoothly or as fast as do the shorter, rounder, cornets. For more info on how wrap affects the playing characteristics, look up the Osmun Corumpet or the similar mixed trumpet/cornet tubing wraps aka flumpet, Puje, or the various models by Adams.

The 80A's aren't too expensive. Even an old beater is worth a try. enjoy the ride!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: