• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing Standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Playing Standards Reply with quote

I am currently playing lead trumpet in a production of The Wiz. For those of you that have played this, you will be aware that it can get a bit choppy. We have just had our opening night, and to be honest, I really struggled through the show. I had a decent warm up (like I normally would before any gig/rehearsal), but I still didn't feel that I was going to play well. For whatever reason, I really struggled in the upper register (basically anything from the top of the stave upwards was a real struggle). Normally, my comfortable range is up to an F/G above high C (so 3-4 ledger lines above the stave), so I would normally cruise through a show like this relatively unscathed. However, this was not the case at all. Can anybody shed some light as to what may be causing this sudden lack of stamina/endurance and also loss of range. We have another 3 shows to go in a 24 hour period. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions as to what I can do to be able to play the score as written and not have to play it down and octave. Thanks!
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Yamaha 635ST Flugel Horn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fluctuations like this that make playing trumpet so frustrating.

Ultimately, when things are not working that normally work the problem comes down to a breakdown in fundamentals. It can be very difficult to overcome this in a short duration of time because (1) there are many fundamentals involved in playing trumpet, (2) the fundamentals are inter-related and (3) we try to think too much in our effort to get things back on track.

The idea is for us to play effortlessly without thinking about it. When things go wrong it's very difficult to blank the issues out and just play naturally. It can be very difficult to isolate what is creating the problem.

The warm up is a critical part of getting to the point at which the fundamentals are automatic. When I have issues like this the first thing I question is the warm up. I'm so eager to start really playing, because really playing can be so much fun, I often shortcut the warmup. Sometimes I don't suffer from having a short warm up. Sometimes I suffer big time from having a short warm up.

So my recommendation is to not try to analyze this too much and take plenty of time warming up at low volume levels. Focusing your warm up on low volume levels is very important.

I particularly note your comment that you warmed up normally but didn't think you'd play well. If, at the end of your warm up, you don't think you're going to play well you probably didn't warm up enough at low volume levels.

We like to think that things are consistent in playing the trumpet even though our experience tells us otherwise. Sometimes a short warm up is all you need. Sometimes you need a very long warm up. You should define the warm up you need in terms of what is necessary each time in order for you to feel everything is working fine rather than in terms of a set procedure over a set time.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of playing standards better; let them play The Wiz, you play standards! LOL

All joking aside, someone please post the pic of Batman slapping Robin and saying "long tones"
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop warming up. Especially when you are playing a heavy loads like 2-3 shows a day.

A warm up longer than a few minutes is a waste of stamina. We only have so much gas in the tank every day. A long warm up eats the gas...for no reason

Long warm ups are bad habits and crutches. Anything more than a few minutes is a waste of time. Warm ups and practice sessions are different animals

Other than that I don't know what's going on w your chops, but you shouldn't be losing a fifth from your usable register.

Just my opinions
gwtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
Stop warming up. Especially when you are playing a heavy loads like 2-3 shows a day.

A warm up longer than a few minutes is a waste of stamina. We only have so much gas in the tank every day. A long warm up eats the gas...for no reason

Long warm ups are bad habits and crutches. Anything more than a few minutes is a waste of time. Warm ups and practice sessions are different animals

Other than that I don't know what's going on w your chops, but you shouldn't be losing a fifth from your usable register.

Just my opinions

Its more like an octave off my usual comfortable range...
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Yamaha 635ST Flugel Horn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:

Just my opinions

Doc Severinsen was here recently and I attended his clinic. His philosophy is the exact opposite of yours. He specifically discussed situations in which things are not working and talked about how frustrating that can be even for him. Doc traces everything back to the warm up. The warm up sets the stage for everything that follows.

Doc is a fanatic on warming up properly. A key word here is "properly." A proper warm up will not tax you physically. If it does then you're playing too loud during your warm up.
gwtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
NYC-player wrote:

Just my opinions

Doc Severinsen was here recently and I attended his clinic. His philosophy is the exact opposite of yours. He specifically discussed situations in which things are not working and talked about how frustrating that can be even for him. Doc traces everything back to the warm up. The warm up sets the stage for everything that follows.

Doc is a fanatic on warming up properly. A key word here is "properly." A proper warm up will not tax you physically. If it does then you're playing too loud during your warm up.

When I warm up, I like to start with some low, long tones, then some low lip slurs, low tonguing. Once I feel like I'm getting warm, I will move up the register repeating this process. If I am playing a fair bit in the upper register, I like to make sure that I warm up in that register.
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Yamaha 635ST Flugel Horn
mathgeek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sorts of problems can really get in your head and fester for a while. Sometimes stepping out of that headspace helps.

Go grab a couple of tunes you love and play them beautifully. Focus on the sound and not the mechanics. Pick songs you own and play them that way. Then go back and look at the book your playing and give some troublesome lick that same sound treatment.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gwtrumpet"]
HERMOKIWI wrote:
NYC-player wrote:

Just my opinions

When I warm up, I like to start with some low, long tones, then some low lip slurs, low tonguing. Once I feel like I'm getting warm, I will move up the register repeating this process. If I am playing a fair bit in the upper register, I like to make sure that I warm up in that register.[/

Warming up or not? It's all about activating the lip muscles (of course goes without me pointing this out) enhancing circulation, flexibility, and endurance (avoiding lactic acid). From a personal standpoint I would not warm up in the high register - you obviously are accustomed doing so. Why so? Risking straining them. I find "warming down" as essential. Lip stretching if you want.
I do so by blowing double pedals, gently. Same things happen to the lips as every other activated muscle - too much strain will cause accumulation of lactid acid when the adequate supply of oxygen becomes to low. Makes the pH value low, irritating nerves, pain. So it boils down to augmenting ones oxygen uptake capacity. This is best attained by activating the lips in a not-strained state.
So take care warming down! I have recently found these double pedals very beneficial to the lips
In my experience the variation in embouchure is related to 1)overall physical state 2) having subjected them to overload, quite often not even being aware of this - until trying to play the day (even the song) after. Lips suddenly feeling unresponsive, stiff. Could be a micro-bleeding but more often just too much lactid acid. Side-effect making you a bit apprehensive, will I nail that tone...

attendant know it all, wishing you all the best
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Playing Standards Reply with quote

gwtrumpet wrote:
I am currently playing lead trumpet in a production of The Wiz. For those of you that have played this, you will be aware that it can get a bit choppy. We have just had our opening night, and to be honest, I really struggled through the show. I had a decent warm up (like I normally would before any gig/rehearsal), but I still didn't feel that I was going to play well. For whatever reason, I really struggled in the upper register (basically anything from the top of the stave upwards was a real struggle). Normally, my comfortable range is up to an F/G above high C (so 3-4 ledger lines above the stave), so I would normally cruise through a show like this relatively unscathed. However, this was not the case at all. Can anybody shed some light as to what may be causing this sudden lack of stamina/endurance and also loss of range. We have another 3 shows to go in a 24 hour period. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions as to what I can do to be able to play the score as written and not have to play it down and octave. Thanks!

Hey GW,
Sounds like an overuse issue to me, we're you pounding away at the high stuff the day before? I kind of agree with NYC about the need for extended warm ups, so save your strength and relax. That being said i had a similar issue once, the night before a gig i was playing around above the staff and overdid it. didn't realize it but really strained my chops, at the gig i started out ok, but things quickly got bad. I was struggling to play G on top of the staff. My embouchure was out of focus. I found this site and this page in particular. I followed the directions and things came back. the next gig was normal. I think it basically realigns your chops. It helped me anyway. haven't needed to do it again since, but now i much more careful about waling away upstairs for no reason.

http://www.embouchures.com/blockedbuzzing.html

regards,

tom
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wiz is a really fun book. The orchestrations were very much in our briar patch in Detroit back when it first toured. Many of us were Motown studio players "moonlighting" at night in the theater.

You mention the word "choppy". I suspect you are talking about the crisp 16th note double time articulations. Having a range up to F/G is not the same thing as "owning" that range and being able to accurately tongue up there. So that will tax the muscles if not yet strong enough at this point in your trumpet evolution.

You lost your range because you basically got smacked in the mouth with all the shucking and jiving of the lead parts and maybe too many rehearsals. Rest! Your range will come back after a few days off. Learn from this and you will be ready next time.

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't hearing the music clearly in your mind. This leads to an increase in isometric tension resulting in a lack of efficiency in the playing system.

Take the time to sing through the entire book and imagine your part as it relates to the entire show.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwtrumpet wrote:
NYC-player wrote:

Just my opinions

If you've lost an octave, I question if you really own the range you say your comfortable with.

For me heavy playing just makes me stronger, I did a few tours with a couple circuses years ago. TONS of playing. Awful loud terrible March music etc. Just a terrible gig. But man I had chops of steel after those runs.

My warm up consisted of flapping my lips...blowing a couple scales, 2-3 Budweisers...then hit it. That's it. Playing as much as I was...I was always warmed up.

Unless you had major dental injuries, or some kind of issue with musculature or have some hardware issues...I don't know how you can lose an octave of your "owned range"
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwtrumpet wrote:

I won't make any blanket statements regarding what may have caused your problems, because in my opinion it would be at (least somewhat) educated guesswork. I will say that for me, a few minutes of warm up has always been adequate. I certainly would not dispute someone like Doc, but again, FOR ME more than a few minutes is almost counterproductive. But if you're like an OCTAVE off normal, that sounds like overuse, I had a similar thing happen about 10 years ago, I practiced way to hard trying to get ready for a locally written original musical. What worked for me was rest, but it didn't clear up completely for about a month, hopefully your situation will improve quicker.

Brad
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great podcast on Bob Reeves website , an interview with Harry Kim.

Have a listen from 29.30 to about 38 or 39, he gives a great insight into warming up, the analogy of a sax player searching for a good reed really hit home with me, and given the hard endurance playing Harry does, this is advice in my opinion as an amateur, that is invaluable and is really helping me learn how to "find my good reed" each day.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Eric
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gould made a good comment in a video when asked what to do on the bad days. He said "Practice more carefully". So in your case use this advice on your warm-up.
On gig days, I always take twice as long to warm-up. That doesn't mean twice as much playing, it means twice as much resting.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens to me I think it's because of not enough warm up or not a correct warm up. My corners start to go out instead of in and I compensate with pressure. after a while things get worse.

I think that for a professional player that has a routine and sets up the same way every time the horn is played this kind of thing doesn't happen as often. For someone like me and maybe you, I can play the show and most times playing everything is fine. We sometimes have things like work or kids that interrupt our practice time so when we warm up we can be just a little off. this translates into our performance.
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:

I think that for a professional player that has a routine and sets up the same way every time the horn is played this kind of thing doesn't happen as often.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27496&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Check out Bernadette's comments, especially:

*Doc's practice routine is consistent - I could sing it for you I've heard it so often

Hmm, maybe this is why he plays so great at 89 years old.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can help you from the playing/psychological standpoint any better than the others have already. But I can give you one tip to help your endurance a bit...

CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT. Cal/mag helps move the lactic acid faster which helps endurance. It's more effective for large muscles, but it works for trumpet playing too!

I discovered this supplement some years ago when skiing. The person I was skiing experienced total fatigue in less that two hours. Upon hearing of the situation a ski instructor buddy gave me a packet of the supplement to give to her the following day. Next day, after taking the supplement skied all day with endurance to spare. I used to muscle my way through trumpet playing (other issues involved) and the cal/mag did give me about 30% more gas than I would have had, had I not taken it.

Try it. It's safe and not very expensive. Write up a post if it works for you.

Good luck with your show!
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
dalmavs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing the show outside? Weather could be a factor since it is summer time. I played this show outside and I had to adjust to the extra sweat since it was hotter and more humid than playing indoors. Also, a change in diet since it is summer? The replies I read all mentioned fundamentals, but sometimes there are outside factors that can mess with playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: