• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Protective Double/Triple Cases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Protective Double/Triple Cases Reply with quote

Taking suggestions for the most protective double and/or triple cases out there today. Thinking about a Shilke hard case. Are Torpedo doubles worth the dough? I use a Torpedo single and love it. I would say protection is my main goal. If I can save some money, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Catie Rodgers
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Protective Double/Triple Cases Reply with quote

CRodgers wrote:
Taking suggestions for the most protective double and/or triple cases out there today. Thinking about a Shilke hard case. Are Torpedo doubles worth the dough? I use a Torpedo single and love it. I would say protection is my main goal. If I can save some money, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Catie Rodgers

I have a Marcus Bonna double case that I am quite happy with.
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reunion Blues RB Continental is great and it's very reasonably priced. I've flown with it and watched it being abused in the luggage rack. Both horns came through unscathed.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Marcus Bonna quad that I use daily, as well as a Torpedo Coyote in leather. I don't use it as much, but I feel the Coyote would offer better protection. It is heavier, though. I also had a Wiseman triple, but found the form factor difficult to deal with on a daily basis. It was very well-designed, however...

The best protection is probably the Raw Brass/Battlefield cases with lots of foam padding. They are much bigger, though...
mercer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For protection, I would rank in this order: Pelican-style travel cases, Torpedo Coyote 2.5 (both old and new), Wiseman Triple. I've used all three. For a balance of protection, real-life usability, durability, and price, in that order, the Coyote is best. The Wiseman is just as protective, incredibly well-crafted, beautiful, more durable, and guaranteed for life, but cost and awkward interior cause issues for some. Pelican-style cases are really best for travel and storage, but not practical for daily use for most people.
CRodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. Interested in the Coyote. I've been using a Rocky Mountain Case Works, which I borrowed from a friend. Anyone know what happened to that company? Great double case.
retreadnto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt anything would be more protective than one of these bad boys...

http://www.battlecases.com/#!trumpet-cases/cff9
GR 65M/MS/MX
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Marcus Bonna double and the Torpedo Bags Coyote 2.5. I'd say that both offer excellent protection under most conditions. But when I am traveling with two horns, and there is any concern that I might be required to gate check, I ALWAYS use my Torpedo Bags Coyote.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Double Case Reply with quote

CRodgers wrote:
Thanks for your responses. Interested in the Coyote. I've been using a Rocky Mountain Case Works, which I borrowed from a friend. Anyone know what happened to that company? Great double case.

Rocky Mountain Case Works has gone the way of the dodo bird

The Torpedo double case is very similar to the Rocky Mountain Case Works double case.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRodgers wrote:

An old thread about Rocky Mountain Case Works
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha double case is sturdy and compact.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
The Reunion Blues RB Continental is great and it's very reasonably priced. I've flown with it and watched it being abused in the luggage rack. Both horns came through unscathed.

My flugelhorn sustained damage in one of these cases - the bell rim bent backwards where someone evidently had thrown it in a van or some sort while gigging.

Another gripe with the RB Continental - it is tight on the horns, especially if you have 3.

Generally I like the case tho, but it doesn't offer enough protection. There's a couple key areas which lack rigidity.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the sure continental reunion blues thing is actually a case...

The new Coyote is in the works, and will be the most protective, and also the lightest -- without a doubt and not by a little. I'm working out the final bugs on the Velox while making shells about once a day, and likely this week or next I'll be getting the CNC cut for the Coyote.

(Note: I am truly, truly sorry these took so long -- there were so many hurdles I didn't know existed in composites, but the end is definitely in sight).

The carbon fiber / honeycomb Velox weighs 2.7 pounds, and is stiff as nails. To compare, a Bach brown single case, depending on vintage, is 8-9 pounds. I'm guessing the Coyote will be 7-8 pounds for Bb + flugelhorn or Bb/C/pic. I'm still shocked every time I lift up the Velox -- there's nothing there!

There are a few carbon fiber cases on the market, but to my knowledge, none of them uses a honeycomb core. So the others that I've seen have flimsy walls. Or, I've seen carbon fiber exteriors that really only have a layer of CF on top of a few layers of fiberglass. You get the look but none of the advantages. The honeycomb is the key to stiffness with very little additional weight.

There are bout 40 backorders for Volpe's Velox to work through, one a day for a while as we gear up and I can hire and train.

https://torpedobags.com/product/volpes-velox/

There are about 30 backorders for Coyotes, and that's going to get worse before it gets better, so if you can be patient, hop in line!

https://torpedobags.com/product/2016-re-imagined-coyote/
612-849-3574
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post another vote for the Wiseman. They are not cheap but if you are asking about protection I think they have to be near or at the top of the list. It is the best case I've ever owned overall. I love my Torpedo Bags but can only speak to the quality of construction and customer service in general since I have only owned their single cases. No case better for the money though than the Torpedo!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
conte72

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest the Gard triple wheelie. I had a Schilke B6, Calicchio s1s3, and a Schilke P7-4 in the case when it rolled end over end down 18 steps. Thought they would all be crushed. No damage at all.
CRodgers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into a friend last night who is another Torpedo single owner. He said he dropped his case from the 2nd deck of the Steamboat Natchez and his third valve sustained damage. Wondering if there's no such thing as an invincible case!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Bill W wrote:

My flugelhorn sustained damage in one of these cases - the bell rim bent backwards where someone evidently had thrown it in a van or some sort while gigging.

Another gripe with the RB Continental - it is tight on the horns, especially if you have 3.

Generally I like the case tho, but it doesn't offer enough protection. There's a couple key areas which lack rigidity.

Mike

I love the RB Continental, which is my "daily driver" case, both in its single and triple configurations. BUT! It is by no means a highly protective case. The RB Continental Single is much less protective than a Torpedo Outlaw, although it is smaller and much lighter. The RB Triple is a great case, but I would NEVER check my horns on a plane in that case, or put it in a trunk, or basically ever let my horns out of my sight.

So I love the RB Triple, but I never let it out of my sight. There are better solutions (Torpedo, Wiseman, etc.) if you have to actually check your horns somewhere.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the days of lore when the Zero Hallibuton was the case of doom!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Raya2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say any of the Torpedo cases will do the trick.

I have a coyote that I've been using for over 3+ years and IMHO it's the best case I've had. It is both protective, light (compared to other cases), practical, and you can change the setup on the inside depending on your needs.

I've had some MB cases and to me they are just too heavy to be carrying them around, but if all you want is for storage they work well for that.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raya2 wrote:
I would say any of the Torpedo cases will do the trick.

I have a coyote that I've been using for over 3+ years and IMHO it's the best case I've had. It is both protective, light (compared to other cases), practical, and you can change the setup on the inside depending on your needs.

Yes, I have a Coyote and typically have a P7-4, Philly C and either a Bb or Eb/D inside. I'm not about to test it by dropping it down a flight of stairs though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: