• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip roll over bottom teeth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
take2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Lip roll over bottom teeth Reply with quote

Is it possible to have too much lip roll over the bottom teeth? How much is too much? The Encyclopedia says "slightly over" in several places.

The image in this link shows virtually no roll over the teeth - just extending slightly above them.

http://www.magikflute.com/airstreamdynamics/webdownstream.jpg

Recently I've been practicing with more roll over. It actually feels like a lot of roll over and I seem to get a thicker sound, breath attacks work well, but with so much bottom lip rolled over the teeth tonguing is tricky. I don't have a big noggin or mouth cavity or big lips. My lips are pretty thin and not a lot of "red" especially in the top lip. Top lip is fairly long - longer than my top teeth. I definitely blow down stream. Mouthpiece placement may be 50-50 or 40-60? I don't know. Somebody has got to see it...

When I play with minimal roll, I seem to have a thinner sound, but I can more easily maintain a flat chin. My bottom lip doesn't get in the way of my tongue.

Anyway, back to my original question - can you have too much or should you strive to stay with a "slight" roll - which I take as a minimal amount of roll over?

Thanks!
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lip roll over bottom teeth Reply with quote

take2 wrote:
Is it possible to have too much lip roll over the bottom teeth? How much is too much?

Thanks!

A Great Question! We all know (don't we?) that Reinhardt was a Genius. Finding this, after so many years reading the Enciclopedia, this the answer!

BASICALLY AN UPPER TONE IS PRODUCED BUY A COMBINATION OF TWO FACTORS: ONE, HOW FAR THE JAW IS PROTRUDED; AND TWO, HOW MUCH OF THE OUTER LOWER LIP MEMBRANE IN INWARD AND OVER THE LOWER TEETH. AGAIN, PERMIT THE CORE OR CENTER OF THE SOUND TO ASSIST YOU IN DETERMINITATING THIS.

This is all [u]types
, both One and/or Two classifications.[/u]

Dave Sheetz
take2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I was hoping to hear from you on this question. Good to know this is the case for all "types" and "classifications" too!

Just for clarification - the quote refers to an "upper tone". I am currently playing with a good amount of roll over in all ranges mostly because I don't really have an "upper" range - yet.

When I play with a minimal amount of roll over, I feel it in my lips. Meaning that they get fatigued. When I play with more roll over and I get fatigued, it's more in my face (corners and cheeks) and much less in the lips themselves.

I'm hoping I'm on the right track and this is a developmental thing and I'll start climbing higher over time.

I just wasn't sure if I had "too much" roll over now in the middle register, but it does have me setting up with my jaw more forward. Best I can tell, I'm feeling my "legs" and it's easier to keep the weight on the bottom lip.

Dave, I'll send you a PM about setting up a lesson.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: