• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Torn Torpedo Mute Bag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

hey guys!

I've had the Torpedo Classic with me for a good 4 years now and recently, i noticed some pretty bad tear on the mute bag. It's very possibly due to wear and tear.

Torpedo cases are fabulous and are widely known as 'indestructible', but the tear on my mute bag got me a little upset.

Anyone has experienced this before? Is sewing a patch over the tear the only solution? Are there alternative bags that can be clipped onto the Torpedo classic?

Will furnish this post with a picture as soon as I can!
Cheers!
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

Bionx wrote:
hey guys!

I've had the Torpedo Classic with me for a good 4 years now and recently, i noticed some pretty bad tear on the mute bag. It's very possibly due to wear and tear.

Torpedo cases are fabulous and are widely known as 'indestructible', but the tear on my mute bag got me a little upset.

Anyone has experienced this before? Is sewing a patch over the tear the only solution? Are there alternative bags that can be clipped onto the Torpedo classic?

Cheers!
'

Why not contact Torpedo and see what they say? Seems to me that in the time you posted this, you could have already called and gotten an answer.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's the pic of the more major tear. On the other side of the mute bag, smaller tears are forming where the cloths and threads meet.

I uploaded it on dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tknn17uoyogrpf/Torn%20Mute%20bag.jpeg?dl=0[/img]
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Bionx wrote:
hey guys!

Cheers!
'

Why not contact Torpedo and see what they say? Seems to me that in the time you posted this, you could have already called and gotten an answer.

Oh right! I'll drop them an email. International calls can be pricey..
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email the company. Steve is very easy to deal with. IMO, 4 years is a long time for almost anything to last. Your mute bag seems to be in pretty good condition otherwise.
Regards,
Mario
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received a reply from Torpedo slightly about an hour after I've emailed about my mute bag. Really quick reply, bravo!

Here's their suggestion, and I'm going to share it here in case someone encounters the same problem in the future.

"The cheapest option for you would be to turn the bag inside out. Use a flame to carefully melt the frayed threads. Then you should be able to sew it back together. (If you cannot sew, we’ve found that shoe repair shops tend to be the best/cheapest places to bring in things for quick repairs like that.)
Otherwise, you can order a new one from our website here: https://torpedobags.com/product/single-trumpet-case-parts/"
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:

I recall your email from this AM, and Alicia and I tried to figure out a way to get it back in service without too much hassle or expense. I hope the self repair suggestion works -- If you're in Singapore, replacing that might end up being a bit more than you'd like to spend, just from shipping. But we do price those replacement parts at basically cost so that people can keep their products in service as long as possible. It's $25, which is our overhead for an hour of labor, and these take just a bit less than that.

For us to repair something, it has to get to us. But we don't ask for proof of purchase or send you through any hoops like that, and unless it's one of the pre-2007's that we imported, we don't really care about the age. Again, the Singapore thing impacted our advice to you.

4 years for any textile product is a pretty long haul, and I'd love to hear or see a photo of the case itself. Those mute bags hang down a bit and touch the ground, but even so I don't recall having to replace more than 5 or 6 in 6 years. My experience says your case looks like a brand new one at 10 feet! I trust the rest of the Classic has been a good purchase for you, and if so, we'd love to see that as a subject header on a public forum, too!

Good luck!
612-849-3574
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

Bionx wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Bionx wrote:
hey guys!

Cheers!
'

Oh right! I'll drop them an email. International calls can be pricey..

Sorry, I should have looked more closely and realized your location. From reading on down, I see you have been in contact and that they have given you a couple potential solutions.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

I recall your email from this AM, and Alicia and I tried to figure out a way to get it back in service without too much hassle or expense. I hope they self repair suggestion works -- If you're in Singapore, replacing that might end up being a bit more than you'd like to spend, just from shipping. But we do price those replacement parts at basically cost so that people can keep their products in service as long as possible. It's $25, which is our overhead for an hour of labor, and these take just a bit less than that.

For us to repair something, it has to get to us. But we don't ask for proof of purchase or send you through any hoops like that, and unless it's one of the pre-2007's that we imported, we don't really care about the age. Again, the Singapore thing impacted our advice to you.

4 years for any textile product is a pretty long haul, and I'd love to hear or see a photo of the case itself. Those mute bags hang down a bit and touch the ground, but even so I don't recall having to replace more than 5 or 6 in 6 years. My experience says your case looks like a brand new one at 10 feet! I trust the rest of the Classic has been a good purchase for you, and if so, we'd love to see that as a subject header on a public forum, too!

Good luck!

The above is a great example of a company that does things right, and actually understands the concept of customer service. Great products and great service, what more can we ask for!

Brad
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If every company was as good at customer service as Torpedo Bags the world would be a better place.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Torn Torpedo Mute Bag Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

I recall your email from this AM, and Alicia and I tried to figure out a way to get it back in service without too much hassle or expense. I hope the self repair suggestion works -- If you're in Singapore, replacing that might end up being a bit more than you'd like to spend, just from shipping. But we do price those replacement parts at basically cost so that people can keep their products in service as long as possible. It's $25, which is our overhead for an hour of labor, and these take just a bit less than that.

Good luck!

Steve, you're a class act my friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: