• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another Comeback Player

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llangston1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Another Comeback Player Reply with quote

I am another comeback player and thought I would say hello to the forum. I enjoy reading all the posts and certainly wish we had this capability back when I played. My time away from playing is almost 46 years. I played trumpet in Jr High and Sr High school bands until I graduated in May 1970. I put my horn in the closet and there it has sat all these years. Two weeks ago my grandkids asked about my trumpet for some reason so I brought it out to show them and caught the bug to play it again. My horn is a '67 Olds Recording with a Schilke 12 mouthpiece. After a little buzzing I managed to still play a C scale and even managed a open valve Taps once. LOL. I still have my old Belwin Elementary Band method book from Jr high and my Arban"s and another old Cornet song book from back then. I lost my old Herb Alpert and TJB collection song book from the 60s. I have been practicing long tones with the band method book and buzzing the MP when I have time and now while the horn is in the shop for some needed maintenance. I gave it a good bath per all the internet videos but the third valve continued to be a little sticky due to some possible corrosion in the valve case ( rust coloration on the valve case walls toward the bottom near the valve cap). I decided to let the tech fix it and some other minor items. I would be interested in recommendations for any other beginner or comeback music books I could use. I have been using many of the youtube videos that are available as I practice and buzz my MP while my horn is in the shop. My goals would be to try and at least get back to where I was in HS and be able to play easy trumpet pieces like TJB and some modern music. Right now my playing would be for private and not public consumption. I look forward to any suggestions or recommendations from the forum.
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Comeback Player Reply with quote

llangston1 wrote:
I am another comeback player and thought I would say hello to the forum.

Hey there! If you still have an Arban's book, then that is a great place to start. You can cover most technical aspects of playing within this book. You should be able to find parts of the Arban's book that is suitable for your current level. You'll have to skip around to find the easy bits. Between Arban's and Herbert Clarke, "Technical Studies for the Cornet," you should have all you'll need regarding practicing for years to come.

Pick up some etude or song books that are within your ability, just to make things fun.

After you gain some ability back, find out if your local town has a community band. Most of these bands will gladly give you a seat in the trumpet section. No audition required.

Give consideration to taking lessons. Someone that can steer you in the right direction.

But most of all, have fun!
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
ClassicSki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Welcome back Reply with quote

Welcome back to the music room. We are pretty close in comeback years. I left school in 1976. Recently, about 7 yrs? Ago? Thrift store was selling an old conn director and I tryed to play a note and I was surprised I DID!

So that got me going. I bought it and I kinda fiddle around with it. I bought a blessing cornet and play that too. You can read my journal here, "pathway of duty".

Once again, welcome.

Tristar pocket trumpet
Old Conn director trumpet
Military bugle

Blessing XLCR Cornet- XLCR H30339
MichaelMcCrary
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also played through JrHS and HS, sold my Selmer cornet in early '66 to finance a cheap wedding band. Wife left in '70. I picked up the trumpet in 05. and started in a community band. I would suggest a private teacher and join a join a community band. Check to see if there is a New Horizons band in you area.
Selmer Paris Flugelhorn
Martin Handcrafted Dansant

and a few more
ClassicSki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: High Desert New Horizons Reply with quote

When I bought that ole' Conn, I looked around and there was nothing. I did find on the net New Horizon, maybe I need to try working on that again.

We do have community orchestra and another community band. Things to rekindle my interest.

For now practice.

Tristar pocket trumpet
Old Conn director trumpet
Military bugle

Blessing XLCR Cornet- XLCR H30339
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is as soon as you feel comfortable, join a community band
telebuck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!

I agree that the internets is an incredible resource for us comeback players, and that I wish it had been around 40 years ago. But better late than never.

My layoff was 30 years, following jr and high school playing. I have been back at it for a little over a year. I surpassed my high school playing in about 6 months of steady practice (about an hour a day on average). Two keys were joining a community band (started on 3rd part, now on 2nd, and fill in on 1st occasionally when others don't show up) and taking some private lessons. The community band gives me a reason for practicing, while the main thing about the lessons was getting me into a daily routine (long tones, clarke, lip slurs, schlossberg, bends, double and triple tonguing, other stuff), which it sounds like you have started. My routine is based on Adam's (my teacher was one of his students). The Adams folder here on the herald describes this method, and may have links to free versions online.

An Arban's book would be very useful to get, as it seems to be the trumpeters bible, covering all the fundamentals of playing, and also has songs of varying difficulty.

Have fun with it, and be sure to play some actual music from time to time!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your comeback. As the others have said, the internet along with this and other trumpet forums is an excellent resource. I started out with the first 10 exercises in The Embouchure Builder by Lowell Little (based on some posts I read here) and Clarke Technical Studies studies 1 and 2. Once I got to the point I was playing in the staff comfortably I added some etudes/exercises from Clarke Elementary Studies. That got me through my first 2 1/2 to 3 months.
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The InterTubes is a great source for information and tips on how to get back your trumpet mojo. However, you have to be careful. There is sooooo much out there. So I suggest mostly sticking with the basics (Clarke, Arban's) until you think you are ready for something else. Although, one never is done with Clarke or Arban's, no matter what your level is, IMO. Again, an instructor could guide the way for you.
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing. Our circumstances are quite similar. I began my comeback in 2011: still at it and no regrets. Best wishes to you in your comeback!

Jim
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

I think the Arban book might be too strenuous initially. Comeback players (and beginners) need to start easy and build a foundation before tackling more difficult material.

I suggest you get a copy of 100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player, by David Hickman. It starts much easier than Arban. Each lesson has a good mixture of material, including two etudes, a melodic tune to practice musical expression and style, and a technical study. Spend a week or more on each lesson to come back gradually.

This approach would give you fun material that's within reach so you avoid hurting yourself or getting frustrated by trying to play difficult material before you're ready.
Piccolo Stomvi
mhendricks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your Comeback!!!

There's lot of info at this site that will help you and keep you interested...

http://mphmusic.com/blog

And the facebook page at...

http://facebook.com/mphmusicdotcom

Here's the best tip advice for a comeback trumpet player...

http://mphmusic.com/blog/trumpet/one-very-important-tip-for-the-comeback-trumpet-player/

And remember, have fun!!!

Best,
Mark

For info on all of Mark's books and more visit: www.MPHmusic.com
llangston1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a reasonably priced source of intermediate level modern music for a comeback player? Several bucks for one sheet music song DL from the internet can get a little steep for a retiree. Are the Hal Leonard collections pretty good. I am getting bored with all the Mary had a little lamb and other tunes for elementary bands I have collected but I am not all that interested in the Arban's etudes either. Any suggestions?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends a little of what kind of playing you like to do..

For starters look at Walter Beeler Method for Cornet/Trumpet book 2.. these books have a nice mix of etudes, scales, and studies and won't cost you much more than 10 bucks and are a bit more adult friendly... at least this would be a good text to start with and if you haven't seen them, new stuff to attack.

Then pair this text with a routine that includes things like Chicowitz Flow Studies, Clarke Studies and then music that you like to play or are involved with (solo, church/band music, etc)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found "I Used To Play Trumpet" by Larry Clark (Carl Fischer) a great get-my-feet-wet again book. It has long tones, short warm-up section, scales, and tunes from Bach to Glenn Miller to Eddie Money. Hal Leonard's Best of the Beatles was also good at start.

There is no rule of thumb, really. I did not join a community band. I did not get a teacher. I did follow my tastes and ended up learning a lot more about improvising riffs off blues scales and basic patterns like the 1-3-5-6-7b boogie woogie and I-IV-V 12-bar blues. I very rarely use any kind of printed material now. I play 30-60 minutes nearly every day, and trumpet playing, like running, has become something that I simply can't go more than 2-3 days in a row without getting very cranky.

And I've been very patient. At upper end, I am comfortable with expanding my range by no more than 1-2 notes a year, now at D above high C.

Play so it becomes an enjoyable part of your day. I had enough "gotta do my Arban" when I was 16. Never again.
louii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back.

I too am a comeback player - after 30 years.

I found getting involved with a local band important to keep my interest from waning. It also helps that my daughter plays trumpet (she plays with a startup band called the Buffalo Brass Machine, as well as the University at Buffalo bands). If you don't have offspring you can practice with, I'd suggest finding someone else who enjoys playing duets. Bottom line, find a band, create or encourage offspring to learn the trumpet, or find a buddy with whom to practice. Unfortunately the second option is the most fun but not always immediately practical. Otherwise there's a good chance your interest will wane as mine did the myriad of times I tried to 'comeback'. This time however, my getting involved with other players has kept me on track.

I find Clarks and Arban's have enough material to keep me challenged and interested.

Good luck! And don't give it up.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi llangston1,

I'm also a comebacker...quit in 1966 in HS and started back about 2002. As far as song books, I would suggest you google for Fake Books. These are large (1000 songs) collections of songs which usually give just the chorus in melody and guitar chords, along with the words. There are many of these and you should be able to find one with lots of songs from your youth. I see that some are advertised on the 'Net with the contents shown.

Since the vocal line is given, it usually runs from about low C to E on top of the treble clef, an easy range for practicing. When you get better, you can take some songs up an octave for practice. Many of these are available in different keys, so you can get a Bb edition and if you have an accompanist, you can get a C edition for them...or an Eb edition for instruments in that key. If you get to learning some harmony, you can use the chords as a takeoff for improvising.

I just checked ebay and there are 800 listings for "fakebook."

Enjoy your comeback!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the first few weeks of my comeback trying to play through various exercise books that were too advanced for my chops. Based on a few posts I read here on TH I purchased The Embouchure Builder by Lowell Little. I think it really helped the first few months. I switched to Irons 27 Groups of Exercises when I start studying with John Mohan.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Embouchure-Builder-Lowell-Little/dp/0769223060
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another Comeback Player Reply with quote

llangston1 wrote:
I am another comeback player and thought I would say hello to the forum. I enjoy reading all the posts and certainly wish we had this capability back when I played. My time away from playing is almost 46 years. I played trumpet in Jr High and Sr High school bands until I graduated in May 1970. I put my horn in the closet and there it has sat all these years. Two weeks ago my grandkids asked about my trumpet for some reason so I brought it out to show them and caught the bug to play it again. My horn is a '67 Olds Recording with a Schilke 12 mouthpiece. After a little buzzing I managed to still play a C scale and even managed a open valve Taps once. LOL. I still have my old Belwin Elementary Band method book from Jr high and my Arban"s and another old Cornet song book from back then. I lost my old Herb Alpert and TJB collection song book from the 60s. I have been practicing long tones with the band method book and buzzing the MP when I have time and now while the horn is in the shop for some needed maintenance. I gave it a good bath per all the internet videos but the third valve continued to be a little sticky due to some possible corrosion in the valve case ( rust coloration on the valve case walls toward the bottom near the valve cap). I decided to let the tech fix it and some other minor items. I would be interested in recommendations for any other beginner or comeback music books I could use. I have been using many of the youtube videos that are available as I practice and buzz my MP while my horn is in the shop. My goals would be to try and at least get back to where I was in HS and be able to play easy trumpet pieces like TJB and some modern music. Right now my playing would be for private and not public consumption. I look forward to any suggestions or recommendations from the forum.

Your comeback story is similar to mine. I picked up the horn early last month, after 50 years. I am using the same text book, by Everette James, that I used back in 1953.It worked for me then and is working okay now. The material you mentioned seems to be pretty good for you.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
steveleblanc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
I found "I Used To Play Trumpet" by Larry Clark (Carl Fischer) a great get-my-feet-wet again book. It has long tones, short warm-up section, scales, and tunes from Bach to Glenn Miller to Eddie Money. Hal Leonard's Best of the Beatles was also good at start.

There is no rule of thumb, really. I did not join a community band. I did not get a teacher. I did follow my tastes and ended up learning a lot more about improvising riffs off blues scales and basic patterns like the 1-3-5-6-7b boogie woogie and I-IV-V 12-bar blues. I very rarely use any kind of printed material now. I play 30-60 minutes nearly every day, and trumpet playing, like running, has become something that I simply can't go more than 2-3 days in a row without getting very cranky.

And I've been very patient. At upper end, I am comfortable with expanding my range by no more than 1-2 notes a year, now at D above high C.

Play so it becomes an enjoyable part of your day. I had enough "gotta do my Arban" when I was 16. Never again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: