• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TH Sonic Signatures (Information)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Richard, and mm55,

Thank you all for your comments. While I know very little about recording, I think this discussion will allow me to consider some stumbling blocks that can be resolved with a list of best practices / lessons learned. The hint about changing the Project Rate from 44,100 Hz to 32,000 Hz is a technical detail that would have allowed me to compare the built-in mic against the better microphones in the Zoom H2. I will be interested in seeing how that affects the Plot Spectrum, but my general impression is that my sound is my sound regardless of the quality of the microphone. Looking forward to being able to record myself on the MacBook Pro with the good mics, though (thanks Richard)! And the suggestion about having a tuner available before recording is also valuable. However, dialing in the best sound (letting the horn find where it wants to ring best), would be better if “tuning” was done before the actual recording, and the player was not watching the needle while recording (I want players to realize that getting the best sound is the goal of this project), and Audacity is a way to visual see that best sound. Floating down a few cents may be required to get that great sound. Once a player discovers that best sound, then “fine tuning” to get the slide in alignment with A440 AND keeping that great sound would be the goal.

I’m excited to share the rest of this project and get feedback. I’m learning along with everyone and think this can be an easy tool to use for anyone that has a computer. I want to make it as simple as possible, so once some of these “growing pains” have been addressed, this technical discussion regarding clipping, pitch offsets, comb filtering (that few players are interested in) will change to “How can I use this to get more vibrancy in my sound?”. Our language will change at that point to things that trumpet players understand, and then they can see how specific exercises lead to a tangible change regarding the resonance in their sound.

I will definitely keep sharing until I get all of my ideas out there!

Thanks very much.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting that you should tune using the tuner. I meant that a tuner would give a more accurate frequency than clicking on the frequency plot, which is very inaccurate.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
RichardCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you limit your Audacity plot to 11 kHz? Mine went up to 15 kHz.

Richard Campbell
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

First of all, thanks for participating! I'm glad that my information post full of instructions was understandable.

When I take a screen shot on my iMac, I make sure that the window containing the plot is rectangular (basically the shape of my iPhone on its side), and I mark exactly what I want to display. Since there wasn't much activity above 11,000 Hz, that seemed like a good cutoff point. I really like the fact that you included the peak frequency content from Audacity.

Looking at the plot, I think the best place to "crop" the window would be 9,500 Hz. This way we can see all of the Audacity drop downs and eliminate the white space at the higher frequencies.

Thanks Richard.
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, this is a really interesting idea, thanks for your work on it.

I worked as an audio engineer for some years, and I think you may be underestimating the degree to which microphones effect the frequency response of the recorded signal. Do you know how Trumpet Herald has thousands of threads discussing the different sounds/responses of various horns? There are several audio recording forums containing hundreds of thousands of threads about the sound/responses of various microphones. (I'm mentioning this, just to suggest that the way the microphone exaggerates or downplays aspects of the sound is a a factor that would need to be controlled for, in a scientific setting.)
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honkie wrote:
...I think you may be underestimating the degree to which microphones effect the frequency response of the recorded signal. ...

I know that a higher quality microphone or use of multiple high quality microphones can better represent the recorded sound of a trumpet. No argument from me on that point. What I’m questioning is if a built in microphone is adequate to measure the general character of a professional orchestral player’s sound versus anyone else’s sound. The characteristic that I have seen when looking at great trumpet sounds using Audacity is that the fundamental has less energy than the next “several” overtones and there is more energy than the fundamental above 2,000 Hz for really great sounds. A general shape of the sound starts to reveal itself for orchestral players when looking at enough spectral plots.

This discussion reminds me of the SPF rating for sunscreen. I did a Google search and it shows that SPF 15 blocks about 94 percent of the UVB rays, SPF 30 blocks about 97 percent of UVB rays, and SPF 45 blocks about 98 percent of UVB rays. So, while improved microphones or microphone placement can refine the recorded sound of the trumpet, if we are simply considering the spectral analysis of a single note, do we really need an “SPF 45” microphone or is an “SPF 15” microphone good enough for the job? A security camera might be able to clearly show that the burglar was between 6’4” and 6’6” and over two hundred pounds, but can’t provide much more resolution than that. Maybe the spectral analysis can simply show that most of us have a sound that is 5’6” and a hundred fifty pounds and the orchestral player has a sound that is 6’8” and 280 lbs and that’s representative of what we’re trying to measure. We don’t need a security camera to be able to see if the burglar shaved just before the crime just like we don’t need SPF 125 to prevent a sunburn!

Anyway, I’m not dismissing your question, I’m just not sure that the sensitivity of better microphones makes a significant difference when it comes to Spectral analysis.

I’m open to suggestions on this, but will continue moving forward with my project assuming that a built in mic is good enough for this type of measurement.

Thanks!
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an issue of sensitivity, that's a completely different quantity.

And it's not something that can be reduced to a simple number indicating microphone quality. Flatness of frequency response in the frequency band of interest, however, is at the heart of the issue.

If you're trying to detect differences between harmonic levels on the order of +/-3 dB, and the microphone varies by +/-6 dB in the passband, then the results you get may not mean much. For this kind of analysis, a low-noise microphone may not make much difference, although that may be a quality that's important for recording, for instance. And directivity and sensitivity may not be critical. But the frequency response of a built-in microphone in a laptop could easily vary by +/-6 dB. And in the "family room" setup in your photo, the room effects could easily yield errors of +/-12 dB or more, under the cabinets, over the counter, and so close to the wall.

The frequency response of the microphone, in the room where you're recording, should be flatter than the variations in harmonic level that you're trying to measure, and I'm not sure that you've achieved that. Just as you couldn't really measure valve alignment errors of tenths of a millimeter with a carpenter's tape measure, I'm not sure you can reliably detect the relative levels of harmonics in a trumpet's tone with your setup.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt

Last edited by mm55 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, you can buy a calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum Labs (http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html) for about $100 that would well in your setup. I have been using one for audio measurements (with REW) in place of my Earthworks M30 and it is comparable in frequency response (though not in noise floor or max SPL, but those are not a big issue for this project).

FYI - Don
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55,

Quote:
And in the "family room" setup in your photo, the room effects could easily yield errors of +/-12 dB or more, under the cabinets, over the counter, and so close to the wall.

This is an excellent point. After recording in two different rooms and varying the built in mic distance from my bell, room effects certainly show up in the plots. But the general shape of my sound is similar in each of the plots. From a scientific perspective, I’m sure that my sound was not perfectly the same on each of the recordings, but it was easily 95% the same for each take. Everything else in the experiment was very different with the exception of the built-in mic (I’m guessing they are the same between the iMac and the MacBook Pro). The more open dining room clearly allowed for a “better” sound when looking at the spectral analysis.

Quote:
I'm not sure you can reliably detect the relative levels of harmonics in a trumpet's tone with your setup.

I think you are correct with this point as well. If I were to repeat this experiment tonight, in the same place, using the same settings within Audacity, I think my spectral analysis would look very similar to my plot from last week, but I’m guessing it wouldn’t be identical (i.e. can’t reliability detect the relative levels of harmonics). However, with some best practices in place with respect to the room and the mic set up, how loud to play, and maybe a few other practices, I think the general shape of a player’s sound will be quite accurate for the room that they are playing in.

Once they have their baseline recording and discover that they want to work on some targeted exercises to help increase the vibrancy in their sound, they will spend several weeks with these exercises to learn them and refine them. After getting better at the exercises, they will want to check their sound again. If they use the same computer, in the same room, with the same settings, hopefully the only thing that has changed is the vibrancy in the players sound, and they will see improvement over their original baseline sample (which is the whole point of this project).

My recording space will be different than everyone else’s, but each time I come back to check my sound, or use the tool to target a specific problem spot in a piece of music, I will be familiar with what my sound should look like when it is ringing with the most overtones, and then I simply need to learn how to hear that best sound in many different rooms and performance venues.

If you are able to try this experiment at home and provide some best practices and guidelines that could make it better, I’m really just trying to provide everyone on TH with a tool that can help show how much vibrancy is present in their sound. It sounds like you know the right questions to ask to eliminate some real areas of error that can creep in to this project for those of us that know next to nothing about recording. I would certainly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Don,

I think we may need a calibration team for this project. I have a very limited window to participate on TH before my work schedule is going to be extremely busy again. If you would be willing to meet with your friend David Zuercher from the Colorado Springs Philharmonic and record three notes (Low Bb, third line Bb, and Bb above the staff) using Audacity with a built in mic as well as your calibrated equipment, it would certainly answer some questions that I simply won’t have time to address (and would be out of my area of expertise, anyway). You would need two examples of David’s sound (with each mic) and two examples of your sound (with each mic) in the same recording space. Then you would provide the plots on TH showing the differences between your two sounds.

I know it’s a big request, but if you have the time and interest, it would certainly add to an important aspect of the project that apparently needs to have some questions clarified.

Hope all is going well for you.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am working 70-80+ hours/week and have been for a while, and just found out we need to step up the pace. Meaning I'll be working this weekend. Blah. I post whilst tests are running.

I have not installed Audacity since changing notebooks but I may be able to do something in the next week or two. My media room is very heavily damped and would work well for this, and I could record using my Zoom H2 and my Earthworks M30 mic for comparison. The M30 is a true measurement mic so perfect for this exercise. I don't have a good preamp for it now (sold, one of those "taking up space and I'll never do pro recording again" things) but do have a cheap m-audio preamp that should be good enough for this.

Hauling it off to David's would be a bigger challenge though an excellent excuse to see him again as it has been a few years.

The trumpet's range is not all that difficult to capture. My guess is the room is the biggest player. If you could play into a closet filled with clothes or similarly heavily-damped space with the mic fairly close you may alleviate some of the concerns.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
My guess is the room is the biggest player.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

The Earthworks M30 would be a good choice technically; but practically, it's a bit pricey, and very demanding of the phantom power supply. You definitely can't just plug it into a computer's mic jack.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already own an M30, and a preamp with phantom power, and a Zoom H2, so for a relative comparison I have what we need. Except for time...

I sold my "good" preamp a few years ago, alas, but the little one I have should be good enough for this, and my room is heavily treated plus I have an extra floating panel I can use behind the mic so can get close to anechoic response.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking more of what equipment would be feasible for many other people to use for home recording of their own trumpet sound. Earthworks might not be the optimal choice for many people.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, probably not many want to invest in a $1k mic and $2k preamp... My guess is the Zoom's mics are fine for this (they include a compensatory network to provide at least decent response). Proper recording techniques and reasonable room is more likely an issue. That's why I suggested playing into a full closet, to help take the room out of the picture (sound), and watching the levels.

Make sure to not engage AGC in the Zoom or other recorder, and watch the levels and mic placement to avoid overdriving the mic.

I've never compared the Zoom's mics to my Earthworks, be an interesting test.
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

I just posted my plot for you. It occured to me that if your aim is to try to show the difference between the plot of players at various levels of ability, then you really need to collect information about the playing ability of players who created the plot. For example you at least need something like this:
How would you best describe your level? (beginner, intermediate, or advanced)
and perhaps also:
How many years have you been playing the trumpet?

Of course, it would be particularly useful to have the plots of a number of different professional players.

Good luck with the project.

Regards,
Rob
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for participating in this project. I like your suggestion about requesting each persons playing level (if someone goes through all of the plots that we get to do a correlation study, this additional information would certainly be important).

How would you best describe your playing level? (beginner, intermediate, or advanced)

I like your categories. I think we could add a few examples beside each for clarity.

Beginner (Comeback player - 6 months of playing)
Beginner (6th Grade - 2 years of playing)
Intermediate (Comeback player - 3 years of playing)
Intermediate (Sophomore in High School - 4 years of playing)
Advanced (Full Time Music Student - 12 years of playing)
Advanced (Professional - 25 years of playing)
Advanced (Non-Music Day Job - 37 years of playing)

And looking at your plot, you have lots of activity up to the 3,500 Hz range!

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: