• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Inexpensive horn you were impressed with?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive horn you were impressed with? Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
A bit of a different take on a recent thread: how about a relatively inexpensive horn that you were impressed by? What exactly impressed you? Build? Response? Tone quality?

Brad

Any used CG Benge or CG Selmer in decent shape.

Intonation is great, tone is big and bright and fantastic for shows and commercial playing, and with the right mouthpiece, legit as well. Response is great and the upper register is noticeably easier as well (I get one to two steps more range with similar physical effort on a CG Benge or Selmer than other horns).

These horns were hand-built and that's something that cannot be said of Bach and other major brand trumpets that cost well over $2000 (new).

Decent CG Benges and Selmers can occasionally still be found for less than $1000.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a super cheap horn, but the German-made Sonare is an incredible instrument. It's got that Bach 37-like compactness with very firm slotting pitches and even blow.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, will say it again. Older Olds Ambassadors are incredible, and for less than 400, often for less than 200! Awaiting another LA model today. They were built in a shop that concerned themselves with quality straight down the product line. And you cannot lose by finding a Bach Strad from the 60-80s, generally available for half the price of a new one.

ed
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess an interesting question arises...

Do second-hand pro horns that go for way below what they should be worth count as "inexpensive" horns?

For example, I paid a little under £400 (around USD$500 at current conversion) for my 24B K-mod lightweight - a real player, though admittedly not as pretty as it could be.

Is this an inexpensive horn?!
Well, what I paid for it can hardly be considered "expensive" - but it's still a classic pro horn, and in its day would not have been on anyone's list of inexpensive horns.... and even today, should really have sold for more than paid for it.

TL:DR - If someone else can't go out and easily get the same deal, is it an inexpensive horn or did I/we get lucky?
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horns generally impress a small crowd, though not every player likes all I own. Mostly they're still pretty inexpensive, and can do the job in most instances.

I did have one famous player offer to buy my grandfather's 400... if it were any other of my trumpets I would have sold it in a heartbeat but that one stays!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
trumbachpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: inexpensive horn you were impressed with Reply with quote

I've recently bought two different Andreas Eastman trumpets that really play well and look great. Others have compared them to Bachs in playability.
The valves are great as is the finish. For $200-300 on Ebay, you can't go wrong for a horn for a comeback player or as a backup horn.
'57 Olds Studio Cornet
'78 York Cornet
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambassador and a Carol Brass have been excellent inexpensive buys that I gigged a fair bit then moved along.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
I bought a Selmer Signet (Blessing Super Artist sorta stencil... a bit different than the S/A) for $80 off of ebay and it's a great horn! I bought one because I saw a pic of Roy Eldridge with one and wanted to try it out. I bought three and two were dogs but one is stellar!

There's a picture of Jabbo Smith with one of those, too.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Courtois Gaudet model cornet (essentially a student horn) for $125 and although it was in pretty bad condition it's really a nice player. I bought another in much better condition for $225 and it's also a very nice. I've heard good things about the Gaudet model trumpets, too.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
A_Ason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used Andreas Eastman
jmac723

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new and under $1k:

- Manchester RLGB (great valves and [i]very[/i] warm sound with any mpc)
- Kanstul 730 (it's marketed as a student cornet but everyone who plays it likes it)

Used and cheap: in high school, I bought Getzen Capri in silver plate for $100 that was an awesome horn. I wish I hadn't sold it (though I ended up getting $250 for it)
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
presward wrote:
My P. Mauriat 700 is an incredible horn for the money. I bought it barely used for $700. The build quality is excellent. SS valves are buttery smooth. It's tone is dark with lots of colour. Great value from Taiwan.

Got to agree with the Mauriat 700. It's a true sleeper. I became interested in these horns after noticing John McNeil, Terell Stafford, Mike Williams (Basie band) and other prominent pros were playing this horn. It was the horn played by Lew Soloff prior to his death. I got a used deal on mine for $850. For the record, I own a beautiful Van Laar Chuck Findley horn that I play on occasion but the Mauriat is my main go-to horn.

I'll third the thoughts on P. Mauriat horns. They're actually pretty good for the price. I helped a student pick out a step-up/pro horn and the P. Mauriat played great for the price.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $30 model 29. I guess my B47 but I did pay quite a bit for it....less than a used Strad but still a bit. Both are great horns
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-series Getzen 300
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test played a few John Packer cornets at the ITG a few years ago and they seemed to be very good instruments for the price. As for used horns, you can't hardly beat an old Conn 22B NYS or Victor (in good condition) for performance vs. price. A sleeper is the old Conn 5A Victor cornet - great instruments.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Inexpensive horns Reply with quote

I was impressed by the Bach CR301 cornet. Excellent horn for about $250.00

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a good Olds Ambassador, if you can find one that is not beaten up, is the standard by which all other inexpensive trumpets are measured.

There is another one that gets no press that is really nice, again, if you can find one that is not beaten up: the King Cleveland, especially those made from the '50's to the early '80's, before the Cyborg assimilated King (it is now called the 600 model, but is not nearly as good, although some recent reviews would tend to express the quality is coming back up).

I marched with a King Cleveland in high school so I didn't have to take my Dad's Super 20 out on the field. It has the same bore, similar blow, and was the "standard" school trumpet in my home town and the surrounding area, as that is what our local music store, Beckerdite Music, stocked - the entire H. N. White - King line of instruments.

When I graduated from high school and didn't march trumpet any more, I sold it to an undergrad, and from what I can tell, many players over the years marched that trumpet on the field as it got handed down again and again.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an older Blessing ML-1 that was quite a good horn except for the sloppy machining on the valve top caps which made getting them back on a little fiddly.

I also love a Besson 2-20 from about 1949. If you get one of these, move the tuning slide brace forward to the typical position like the French Besson and the forward bell brace back about two inches to the sweet spot as determined by your tech and you will have a great horn. A well known repair man said mine had a " ballsy" tone.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
duane v
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question my 83 Conn SS4.... Without a question a step above or more than any other trumpet I have ever tried out.... And I have tried many brands.
1932 Conn Pan American Frat 64B-2
1936 Conn 40A Vocabell (Pan) Cornet
1946 Selmer Grands Prix
1976 Holton ST302 MF
1983 Conn SS4 Doc Severinsen
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Kanstul "student" horns I've played were pretty darn good.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: