• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching BRAND NEW BEGINNERS "Higher notes"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Teaching BRAND NEW BEGINNERS "Higher notes" Reply with quote

I feel that there should be a forum post for "Teaching". I'm surprised nobody else has thought this should be the case.

Anywho, I recently took on 3 RANK BEGINNERS. One 4th grader, one 5th grader, and one 6th grader just starting out in band. The kids in 4th-5th grade are starting early to have better skills at the beginning of band I suppose.

None of them has made a sound on their trumpet yet, besides the 4th grader who has her very 1st lesson today. She showed up with a VERY NICE King Tempo nickel cornet and a Bach Corp. 6 mouthpiece. I'm going to move her to a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece after next lesson, because a 6 is definitely too deep and not forgiving enough for her chops. I started on an 11B4 and that particular piece is very forgiving for a weak embouchure, and was a huge asset to my quick growth compared to my poor compatriots on their SHARP and DEEP 7C Bachs!!! My Yamaha 2335 was also FAR superior to their Bach TR300's. I've always hated those horns (the tuning slide has to appear "farther out" to be in tune than other models, because it "begins" earlier on the leadpipe...WHY DID BACH DO THIS???? SO STUPID!!).

Her first note was a flat low C. I tried to coach her on to an E and G above that, but she couldn't understand that the lips must be closer together and the air needs to be more focused, and the corners must be more supportive. I had a lot of trouble explaining it to her, because I've never taught a student that had never played a note before. She doesn't have the bodily awareness to articulate things the way I was explaining them... I did successfully get her playing lower notes, and she learned a FAT low A, and B underneath low C. I feel like the first method one learns to play higher is with pressure, but I REALLY don't want this to be the case with her, because most trumpet players spend most of their lives trying to unlearn their bad pressure habits that were established as students, and few really succeed and thrive playing correctly.

How do YOU talk about learning your first "higher" notes. Notes that aren't even "High" by any studied player's standards. Like Middle G, E, F, A, and maybe in 6 months or so, B and tuning middle C. Right now for her, a low C is her highest note. Of course, she's only had the horn on her lips for 10 minutes in her 1st 3O minute lesson. Any tips would be appreciated. I wasn't given the best advice for playing higher (Blow "faster" and "tighten your abs"), and I want this particular student to start off right.

I also have another student who's been playing for 1.5 years who has MAJOR trouble with even tuning C and notes above that. Could use some pointers there as well.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching BRAND NEW BEGINNERS "Higher notes" Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
Her first note was a flat low C. I tried to coach her on to an E and G above that, but she couldn't understand that the lips must be closer together and the air needs to be more focused, and the corners must be more supportive.

Sounds like too much information for a kid who's never made a sound on the horn before and is still figuring out which way is up, no doubt still adjusting the "spot" for the mp. If she's successfully playing a low C, get her making a better sound on that note. Maybe try moving up smaller increments - see if she can do C#, then a D. She's at the start of what's potentially a long journey, probably hasn't put the mp to her lips a few dozen times yet - don't try to fill her head with things she won't grasp.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was starting rank beginners I quickly learned both to NEVER attempt to get the kids to play higher or to give too much information........ I also learned that every youngster has their own 'pitch zone' which comes fairly naturally and extending their compass is often a slow progress from that 'zone'...in some cases upwards and in some both directions.

Personally, I found it best to concentrate on developing sound quality along with the basic items of technique, namely basic tonguing and breathing. I built this into gradual music learning and sight reading.

Every childs musical adventure is unique although there can be basic groupings as with their natural pitch zone. It's vital that each child becomes excited and 'hooked' by steadily finding their way with the help and guidance of the teacher in this new adventure. For this reason I NEVER let new beginners hear me play or try to demonstrate with an actual instrument,..not until they were more advanced and could appreciate what I was able to do because children are inate copiers and that's NOT what I wanted from these new and emerging bandpeople.

To return specifically to 'pitch zone',.......after youngsters have gained basic skills in articulation and breath control, one finds that they are usually either 'right' for the cornet end of the band or the larger instruments......you need to be looking out all the time as they develop, like plants in a greenhouse to see which kind of musician they are naturally going to become! it's an exciting and interesting business!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"but she couldn't understand that the lips must be closer together and the air needs to be more focused, and the corners must be more supportive."

I don't understand this and I've been playing for 52 years.
Raggerty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching BRAND NEW BEGINNERS "Higher notes" Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I feel that there should be a forum post for "Teaching".

There's a forum for teaching, if that's what you mean, the pedagogy forum.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some initial sound production issues with my middle Son when he started playing and I posted a question in the Fundamentals and Bill Adam forums. The suggestions that I received really helped to adjust his initial set point from the Low C up to a second line G (good summary in this post). He expended much less effort on sound production from that day forward and while he practices little these days, he was still first trumpet as a Sophomore and is now in the Wind Ensemble at his school as a Junior. That first month that I did troubleshooting to put him on a good path has certainly made a difference for him.
9trumpetplayer27

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the trumpet apart and slowly put it back together. Start off with some simple breathing exercises and explain that she should fill up like a balloon( not too much detail). Then have him/her play on the mouthpiece followed by the lead pipe. The lead pipe will help her buzz with a little resistance with him/her listening for a good sound coming out of the bell. Then put the horn together. By then he/she will have developed enough muscle strength to produce a good sound and steadily increase his/her range.
Yamaha 8345 w/ Blackburn pipe
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach beginners from day one all the time.
In my opinion, too much information or detailed explanation is often counter productive. In a first lesson, getting a kid to produce ANY note is where you start, if it's C below the staff, that's fine. Next step is repetition; the more the kid simply plays that note the sooner tone production starts to make sense to them. Some kids quickly begin to get higher pitches, some take longer. But I have seen beginners who initially have a tough time playing higher soon begin to "get it" with proper teacher encouragement and practice; it's really important to set reasonable practice time goals, and also try to get them playing very simple melodies asap. I have one kid who started as a beginner with me one year ago who, because he is interested and enjoys it AND PRACTICES was playing from a book of Star Wars tunes this summer, and they were not totally watered down versions. In my opinion, one of my primary jobs as a teacher with beginners is keeping it fun and preventing them from quitting.
I also try to help them understand that it gets "funner" as they get more proficient!

Brad
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried to coach her on to an E and G above that, but she couldn't understand that the lips must be closer together and the air needs to be more focused, and the corners must be more supportive. I had a lot of trouble explaining it to her, because I've never taught a student that had never played a note before.

Honestly, I don't think that's a great way to start someone on the instrument.

Anyone who's ever successfully taught any beginner anything understands that providing them with too much specific information too soon is a recipe for disaster. Easy, task-specific goals that allow them to succeed rather than fail are a much better path to take. Rome wasn't built in a day.

That said, I'm not sure that the instruction (quoted above) is good for any student, regardless of their ability or experience.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will learn to play by playing, not by you explaining. Just give them 1 thing at a time to work on. I talk too much too, I know how it is when they are doing 12 things wrong and you want to fix them all. Don't. One thing at a time, and sssslllllooooooooowwwwwwww ddddoooooooooowwwwwwnnnnnn

Also, check out the link in my signature for a mobile app I designed. It really helps beginners when they can SEE what note they are playing.
Raggerty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Also, check out the link in my signature for a mobile app I designed. It really helps beginners when they can SEE what note they are playing.

This would be great but I just get a white screen

Edit: restart fixed it, my bad. This IS great

Thanks for making it and putting it out there for free!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:

Nice app, I plan on using it with my younger students especially!

Brad
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then have him/her play on the mouthpiece followed by the lead pipe.

Do not,

DO NOT! have beginners begin on a mouthpiece or lead pipe.

You want the student to recognize and "feel" the resonance of the instrument as soon as possible.

Only when a student has an acceptable tone should you introduce mp practice, (if at all).
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9trumpetplayer27 wrote:
Then have him/her play on the mouthpiece followed by the lead pipe.

Or do. If introduced the right way, it becomes a way the kids gets to blow, listen critically and link a full resonant buzz with a full resonant tone on the trumpet...

YMMV.

cheers

Andy
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching BRAND NEW BEGINNERS "Higher notes" Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I feel that there should be a forum post for "Teaching". I'm surprised nobody else has thought this should be the case.

Anywho, I recently took on 3 RANK BEGINNERS. One 4th grader, one 5th grader, and one 6th grader just starting out in band. The kids in 4th-5th grade are starting early to have better skills at the beginning of band I suppose.

Have you received any formal training in teaching trumpet? Are you using any method book with these kids?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching an instrument (or anything) that you already are somewhat proficient on often seems easy.... until you actually have to do it.

Once you become good at something, it can be hard to figure out how to do things, and even more difficult - how to explain or teach things that you do almost automatically.

Teaching total beginners seems really easy until you actually have to start them. There's more to it than put the mouthpiece in and blow. However, giving a 5 minute talk on how to play the trumpet is also a terrible idea.

It's amazing the number of things that a student can figure out to do wrong - often in the week between one lesson and the next. It'll really make you appreciate when things go well.

You'll probably make a lot of mistakes and it will take a lot of time to figure these things out. I'm still learning new stuff and figuring things out and I've been doing it for almost 20 year.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Teaching an instrument (or anything) that you already are somewhat proficient on often seems easy.... until you actually have to do it.

That's the truth. I help my son with his algebra homework, and I can show him how to do it. But inevitably he will ask "why?" or "how did you know how to do that?" and I start babbling: "well, uh, you see, well look..." and then I just show him the solution for that problem again, as if that will somehow explain it. It's hard to step into their shoes and connect what they do know with what they don't know yet in a way that will make sense to them.
Piccolo Stomvi
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Once you become good at something, it can be hard to figure out how to do things, and even more difficult - how to explain or teach things that you do almost automatically.

Teaching total beginners seems really easy until you actually have to start them. There's more to it than put the mouthpiece in and blow. However, giving a 5 minute talk on how to play the trumpet is also a terrible idea.

It's amazing the number of things that a student can figure out to do wrong - often in the week between one lesson and the next. It'll really make you appreciate when things go well.

You'll probably make a lot of mistakes and it will take a lot of time to figure these things out. I'm still learning new stuff and figuring things out and I've been doing it for almost 20 year.

This.

And I also learned a long time ago to talk less during a lesson, you can see when the kid gets that blank stare that you need to shut up. Demonstration and minimal explanation, repeat. Play along with the student a lot, be positive and point out their improvements, even though they may seem small to you. And try to end a lesson on positive notes, how they are making progress, etc. Which does not mean you take the "everybody is wonderful all the time, everybody should get a trophy just for showing up", etc. approach. But IMO, one of my primary responsibilities as a teacher is keeping the kid interested and not quitting, it is after all supposed to be fun. Learning any instrument is not easy, and as a teacher of especially a beginner, the way you approach the activity can affect the student's entire life. I know mine would be different today if not for some great music teachers.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: