• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"building down"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: "building down" Reply with quote

Hi, guys!
I've been thinking probably too much about chops/embouchure lately, particularly because I have mega-trouble with consistency in my playing, particularly when it comes to moving between the registers, and holding strength and playing with consistent attacks and tone in the upper register.

I figure it could be pretty dangerous so I'm talking to teacher for few weeks to guide me a bit better (he might say DON'T do this at all, never know), but I'm looking for a bit on info on the idea of building range downwards from a "setpoint" (Pops?) of tuning-C or E.

- Is it safe/dangerous? Is there any point/advantage? Any opinions on the idea?
- Is it a method that has to be incorporated immediately (and thus, practiced for several months)? Thats the idea I get, I suppose.
- What sort of exercises does one do to make this work? How can one build the lower register to fullness and richness with a high setup-note?

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good read of what Pops has written on this site. You'll that this is (mostly) what he says. To add to it, one person I studied with briefly put it like this:

You can play low with a high setting, but you can't play high with a low setting.

Apart from it being the only slightly positive (and I suspect honest) thing he ever said to me, it is bang on.

work with it, but realise this will take a to of time to become a natural way to play, an that you are adding this to your already established way of playing.

cheers

Andy
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "building down" Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
Hi, guys!
I've been thinking probably too much about chops/embouchure lately...

Your post definitely shows that you've been thinking about...well...everything... way too much!

First of all, I don't think you've really developed a "true" setting in any part of your range because there seems to be flaws in your overall approach to the trumpet.
This includes:
1. delivery of air - should feel generally "free"
2. the sound and CONNECTION you desire (your mental picture of what you want) is not present enough in your mind.
3. The general clutter that goes on in your head is much too much.

I can almost guarantee (as much as an internet stranger can) that if you go down this path, you will not end up with as much progress as you'd have liked.

I suggest focusing on a quality sound and free inhale and exhale. Expand that from where you feel most comfortable to the points where you begin to feel uncomfortable. You will be a much better player in 6 months no matter your playing level (amateur to pro).

The greatest players do this (regardless of what they say). You can worry about "setpoint" when you're paying at the level of *insert incredible professional here*

Consistency in playing comes from consistency in approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: