• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Hernia Report

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewetho wrote:
A favorite saying of the US Marine Corp.

Laugh a little. Discomfort is ok when working out etc. But injury is not what they refer.

OOORAH!!!

Don't say it, John - you'll bust a stitch for sure!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I had a prostatectomy. Immediately during recovery I felt a pain and swelling in my left groin. I asked the surgeon when he came to check on me and he told me that during the operation he discovered a hernia and repaired it (I didn't know about the hernia before the operation). He couldn't use the mesh because it would have interfered with my recovery from the prostatectomy: he sewed it up the old-fashioned way … not as good a method but probably will be OK.

So now I'm recovering from both a prostatectomy and hernia repair. I tried playing one week after leaving the hospital but it was uncomfortable. I didn't play again for a week. Now at two and a half weeks it feels much better and I'm playing trumpet and trombone about a half hour each.

Hup
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now been 19 days since the surgery and playing is pretty comfortable now. I do seen to notice more pain on the side of the bigger hernia(s) after I play a lot (but not while I'm playing), so I'm still going to take it easy for another week or so and just play a bit during lessons.

All in all, this surgery and the recovery have been easier than I thought it would be (though the first couple of days post surgery were pretty dismal). I think if I had to be, I could be ready to play a heavy show on a regular schedule within another 3 or 4 weeks.

While note that I am not a medical doctor and you should discuss your particular case with your own doctor, here are my tips for trumpet players undergoing hernia surgery:

• Go for the open surgery, as it has a better success record than laparoscopic procedures, and the recovery isn't all that bad and still happens fairly quick.

• Instead of the typical mesh used, ask that GORE-TEX® Soft Tissue Patch be used. Meshes have a significant history of problems including chronic pain, excess scar tissue forming and intestines sticking to them. Intestines will not stick to the non-mesh Gore-tex product.

• Have local anesthetic. I read a recent medical study that found that the first 72 hours post surgery are significantly less painful for patients who had local as opposed to general anesthesia for hernia repairs. And in addition to the increased chance of post surgical nausea, going under a general anesthetic increases mortality risk (even if just a little). And not incidentally, even with a local anesthetic a good anesthesiologist will still have you off sailing in La La Land, blissfully unaware that anything is going on. If you need one, I know a good one!

• Make sure you go home with a prescription of Oxycodone (Percocet) pain pills, and take them (assuming you are not allergic to them). I was very concerned about liver damage (from the Acetaminophen in them) and also possible withdrawal issues, so I really tried at first to stretch out the dosages to one pill every 6 hours as prescribed. But the pain was pretty intense the day after surgery, and after texting my doctor and being told that I could actually take a pill every 4 hours if in pain, and even every 3 hours "if miserable", I did just that. Life was much better that way! And my fears of withdrawal issues or even gasp, addiction(!) turned out to be for nothing - by the end of the third day I didn't feel the need for any more of the pain pills and nearly half of the original 28 pill prescription are still in the bottle. So take them as you need them at first. My prescription strength was for the 5mg Oxycodone 325 mg Acetaminophen strength pills (Ocycodone-APAP 5-325). The similar Hydrophone (Vicodin) is also sometimes prescribed, but the medical reports I read indicate that Oxycodone stops pain better for post surgical patients.

• Take the non-drowsy form of Claritin for the first two weeks post-surgery, especially if it is allergy season and/or you are prone to hay fever. Sneezing during those first couple of weeks needs to be avoided at all costs - and this is especially true of us developed trumpet players who can generate 50% or more thoracic pressure than the non-playing population at large!!!

Well, that's about it for now.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scheduled for surgery to repair my umbilical hernia on Sept 6th. Wish me luck.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy, heal fast!! But take your time....

I'll keep your speedy recovery in my prayers.

All the best
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
Buddy, heal fast!! But take your time....

I'll keep your speedy recovery in my prayers.

All the best

Ditto that, and skill to the Dr(s)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laser170323 wrote:
I'm scheduled for surgery to repair my umbilical hernia on Sept 6th. Wish me luck.

I wish you a successful operation and speedy recovery! It's now been over a year since my surgery and all is fine. No discomfort from playing even when I was on The Producers for three months of seven shows a week. Based on my experience I think you'll be fine.

I think with an umbilical hernia repair you should be more conservative than I was in returning to the horn. And when you do start playing again, at first just play really quiet and at or below middle G, then extend up a bit each week. If one can talk loudly safely, once can play quiet low notes on a trumpet, as both use the same amount of air pressure. Just take it nice and easy for a while!

In case you missed this in my earlier post:

• Take the non-drowsy form of Claritin for the first two weeks post-surgery, especially if it is allergy season and/or you are prone to hay fever. Sneezing during those first couple of weeks needs to be avoided at all costs - and this is especially true of us developed trumpet players who can generate 50% or more thoracic pressure than the non-playing population at large!!!

Cheers,

John
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. And thank you, John, for the advice.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laser170323 wrote:

You're welcome! Please share your experiences here after the surgery.
Kamyar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy recovery for all done hernial surgery.

Hi Folks,

I really need your expriences and advices. I’m a beginner on Trumpet playing. I had inguinal hernia surgery on right side just one year ago; still feel pain while practicing and have a partial inguinal hernia on left, though doctors said no need to repair for now.
I want to know maybe my body can’t tolearate trumpet pressure and I have to change to another instrument? Sax ,Trombone or Flute, Basson , etc?
Can anybody help me on this issue? Sax and Trombone , have they got the same pressure on body as Trumpet?

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Warm Regards,

John Mohan wrote:
laser170323 wrote:

You're welcome! Please share your experiences here after the surgery.
tomcherv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you about the trombone, but the sax (I played tenor sax for a couple years) was less.

A saxophone has keys, especially that nice octave key, to acquire the different notes - it's not done with the lips, air, pressure, etc, like in a trumpet.

I've had both inguinal and umbilical hernia repairs, but they were done during the time when I was playing 3 to 4 times a year, and I never had issues.

Benge Bb
Benge Piccolo
Buescher Flugelhorn
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamyar wrote:

Quote:
I want to know maybe my body can’t tolearate trumpet pressure and I have to change to another instrument? Sax ,Trombone or Flute, Basson , etc?

Give the piano/keyboard a try. I can't think of another instrument that places less strain on the body. You can play it all day long and not get tired. It is nice to be able to play harmony as well as melody. Also, it is great for learning chords. There is something about seeing a keyboard that makes learning chords more intuitive, at least that has been my experience.

One other suggestion: diatonic (blues) harmonica. It is cheap, lightweight, portable, easy to learn (difficult to master), sounds cool and is a blast to play.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamyar wrote:
Speedy recovery for all done hernial surgery.

Hi Folks,

I really need your expriences and advices. I’m a beginner on Trumpet playing. I had inguinal hernia surgery on right side just one year ago; still feel pain while practicing and have a partial inguinal hernia on left, though doctors said no need to repair for now.
Can anybody help me on this issue? Sax and Trombone , have they got the same pressure on body as Trumpet?

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Warm Regards,

The incidence of chronic pain after hernia surgery is not that unusual, whether one plays trumpet or not. The incidence is higher when mesh is used, especially in the long term as the mesh sometimes can attached itself to tissue that needs to move as it changes while the mesh remains the same. (It was for this reason they used the gore-tex mesh with me as this reduces the chances of problems).

There is also a chance of chronic pain from damage done to nerves during the surgery. You should consult your doctor. Perhaps the surgery should be redone when you eventually get the left side done.

I advise you to stay away from higher notes as that is where the thoracic pressure is unusually high. There's lots of beautiful music to be played in the middle and lower registers, and the 3rd part is really just as important as the first part in a good band.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE from my umbilical surgery last week ...

Happy to report that it is one week and a day since my surgery and I am doing well. I have NOT touched my horn yet and don't plan to for another week at least. I am not a professional and playing the horn is not my paycheck. So I plan to take my return very easy.

Every day since the surgery I feel better. But I must write that the very first day after the surgery was quite painful. I am fine when I am standing, or sitting, or laying in bed; but getting between those positions is hell. The first day after surgery I laid on the couch to watch TV and was stuck like a turtle on its back for two hours until my wife returned from work. One week later and I can move around quite well.

It's getting to be allergy season for me and after reading previous posts I have been petrified to sneeze. Yesterday I couldn't stop it -- I had my first sneeze since surgery. And it wasn't as bad as I expected. I expected I'd jump through the roof in pain, but I didn't. Nevertheless, I started taking allergy medicine this morning to prevent future episodes of sneezing.

My umbilical hernia was not bad compared to many others. The doctors did not need to use mesh to repair the hole because it was small enough. The most annoying thing is that the incision is right where my pants buckle. I have a gauze pad taped there to prevent rubbing. I get the stitches out next week. I hope that makes it the rubbing stop. However, I'm afraid it might make it worse. We will see how it goes.

Anyway folks, I wanted to give an update for others who will have this surgery in the future.

All the best,
Laser 170323
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!

Yes, those first days are really something in terms of discomfort! And I remember well that the moving from one state to another (getting out of bed, etc.) was the worst.

You'll find that in the next week or two you'll really start feeling better.

I had the sneezing issue as well (terrifying). Claritin came to the rescue and also, one of my students who is an ER Nurse recommended I put a pillow over the surgical site and apply plenty of pressure to it as I sneeze.

Best wishes,

John
tomcherv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - sneezing was the worst - fortunately my allergies, when they occur, give me a drippy nose and sore throat - no real coughing or sneezing.

And changing positions was also difficulty. I was given a prescription to help manage the pain, but didn't need it for long.

Sounds like things are progressing normally. Hope you feel better soon.

Benge Bb
Benge Piccolo
Buescher Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: