• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CarolBrass C Trumpet Tuning Slides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: CarolBrass C Trumpet Tuning Slides Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are after-market tuning slides that fit carol trumpets? I don't expect that anyone specifically makes them to fit, but I think a lot of the Carols are closely based on Bach trumpets?

So I'm wondering if any of the M/K (or any other after market tuning slides) would fit my Carol 4000H C trumpet?

Just for kicks I was mucking around and found that the slide off my non-carol Bb trumpet is a touch smaller in diameter but close enough that it can be used without any problem. It did make quite a difference. The sound was a little less rich but the slotting and intonation seemed improved. The blow felt more comfortable/forgiving, but I couldn't say whether it was more or less 'free blowing'. So the change in slide does definitely seem to have an impact on both the sound, intonation and feel.

I know it is a long shot but does anyone know if any slides of Bach C trumpets fit the Carol C? And if so, which lead pipe?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest asking M/K about that. Mike Bulow's contact info is on their web site. They can make a slide for you; you'll probably need to send your horn to them so that they can be sure of the fit.

They've done great work for me in the past.

Good luck!
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I've found with the carol stuff is there are some crazy variances of ID and OD on ith their inner and outer slides. As such, it's pretty difficult to go slide swapping.

You take measurements and see if someone wants to take a crack at it.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvand678 wrote:
The problem I've found with the carol stuff is there are some crazy variances of ID and OD on ith their inner and outer slides. As such, it's pretty difficult to go slide swapping.

Do you mean variances by design or by error?
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
jvand678 wrote:

Sadly I can't imagine the variances being on purpose when the instrument is a designated bore size. The IDs were much worse on the instruments and valve clusters I checked out than the ODs.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvand678 wrote:
StupidBrassObsession wrote:
jvand678 wrote:

Sadly I can't imagine the variances being on purpose when the instrument is a designated bore size. The IDs were much worse on the instruments and valve clusters I checked out than the ODs.

Where did you actually take the measurements and how big are these "crazy variances"? Have you compared two identical models? I find it hard to believe that Carol brass would have such a bad quality control as their horns are very well made and more consistent (at least what I've tried) than some of the more well-known brands.

Some horns are designed to have different ID in different parts of the horn even though they are marketed under some general bore size measured from the valve section (2nd tubing). Wall thickness will also vary in tight wraps etc which cannot be avoided unless you machine the tubing from two solid blocks like Harrelson does (tuning slides). Small variances within brass instruments are common. You'd be surprised how many different IDs you can find from a good Bach strad if you start splitting hairs.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I actually did an amateur valve alignment of the up ports, and that really seems to have improved quite a few things. Enough that I'm not so fussed about getting a new slide anymore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: