• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry Undercut (BC cup vs others)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Curry Undercut (BC cup vs others) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a Curry 7BC I've been tooting a bit. I like it quite a lot. I've been playing some surprisingly strong Double Cs and Ebs on my C trumpet with it... So I think the undercut and diameter work well. I can get some very good volume out of it too, eg. the top end of the Mahler 5 excerpts players very easily on it.

I find the low register articulation at softer dynamics is quick but a little bit fluffy though. So, for example, those opening C#s of the Mahler 5 excerpt don't 'pop' at that dynamic quite the way I'd like.
Also, multiple tonguing above the staff feels a little like it lacks support. So I think it's bit too open in the throat for me, and that maybe a little more bowl shaped would improve the clarity of the articulation.

I was wondering therefore, if any one knows if Curry's other 7 size cups (BC & C) are the same rim and diameter with the same drop at the top of the cup? Or if the BC cup is unique like that?

If they're different, can anyone tell me if there are other brands that have the same undercut but which I can get in a stock 26 or 27 throat?

Thank you
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Curry 3's was that BC and C shared alpha but the B was significantly lower alpha.

IIRC (I sold my curry's some time ago so can't check) the curry BC cup was similar to stork's B cup in shape, but the stork noticeably more efficient, you may find their 5B is the sort of thing you're looking for... Or maybe the B+ or C+...
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
My experience with Curry 3's was that BC and C shared alpha but the B was significantly lower alpha.

IIRC (I sold my curry's some time ago so can't check) the curry BC cup was similar to stork's B cup in shape, but the stork noticeably more efficient, you may find their 5B is the sort of thing you're looking for... Or maybe the B+ or C+...

Thanks for the info.

So what I'm saying is that when I look into the cup of my 7BC, there's a section around the top of the cup that appears to be vertical or near to it, and then another sharp delineation where that section turns inwards to form the cup.

Here's a pic:

So did your C cup have that as well?

Thanks for the heads up about the stork, I'll have to message them as they have a lot of options. Not sure combination I should be looking at!
klaus_o

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at my Curry 7C, 7B and 7BC. the initial slope on all 3 is similar. The BC has a longer transition section into the B style cup in order the match the Rim to the cup.

The 7C and 7B are virtually identical at the rim and top of the cup. The 7B is same shape cup but a bit deeper. I love the sound of the BC on my C trumpet, but like you find the bore (throat) a bit too open for clean articulation at softer volumes. I use the 7B 80% of the time on my C trumpet. (other 20% I use BC) The B is a bit too dark on the C trumpet IMO but acceptable for the church playing I do..

My 7C has a 26 throat and that opens the sound. Not as good on the C but great on Bb.

I played the Stork 5C and 5B for a number of years. Although the cup shape on the B is somewhat similar, the rim will feel quite a bit different.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh so it's probably just more exaggerated because this is a Bach 7C cup/rim so low alpha angle from the C cup section. I think I get it.
klaus_o

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim is a 7C, but the cup is a Bach B style cup. This cup is different than the Curry 7B. The B cup is essentially the C-cup but just a bit deeper. The cup on the BC has more of a v shape which, coupled with the larger backbore and throat gives a different sound characteristic. That longer transition part you are referring to may just be an result of trying to blend a scaled B cup from another size and matching it to a smaller rim. (i.e. taking a 1.5B cup and scaling it down. Not 100% sure on that)

All the variants I have on the Curry & series feel the same on the chops for the most part. The deeper cups give the same range...but a bit more work. The shallower ones will have a slightly higher "alpha" to keep the chops out of the cup.

Ultimately the best way is to try the mouthpiece. You would be surprised at what works on the C for you. Consider a Marciniewicz Claude Gordon Personal. Roughly same size diameter, bigger, throat and Schmitt style backbore. It has an unusual rim feel at first but it may work for you. I find the articulations surprisingly good.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Mark's BC cups match the various sized C rims (1C, 1.5C, 3C, 5C, 7C, etc.) specifically to the cup shape and depth of the Bach 1B cup. Just as with the rims, the different Bach B cups have different shapes and depths (for instance, the Bach 3B cup is actually deeper than the Bach 1B cup). But with Mark's BC cup, you're getting the (famous) 1B cup shape and depth no matter which cup size you order it with. As the OP noted, one can easily see the transition point between the C type rim and the 1B type cup. This is even more apparent in cases such as the 7BC where the match is between the 7C rim with its rather deep undercut (low alpha angle) and the 1B cup with its significantly higher alpha angle.

The rim size, shape and alpha angle on a Curry 7C should be the same as that of the Curry 7BC (or any of the other Curry 7-sized mouthpieces). Mark uses the rim size and shape from a good Mt Vernon Bach 7C as his 7-sized rim across the entire line of mouthpieces in that size (just as he does with his other rim sizes - they're all based on good examples of Bach Mt Vernon era mouthpieces in their respective sizes).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
PieterS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
The rim size, shape and alpha angle on a Curry 7C should be the same as that of the Curry 7BC (or any of the other Curry 7-sized mouthpieces).

This is not what Mark says on his website as I understand it:

"There is a gradual reduction of undercut, or initial slope into the main, or first cup, from the deeper B cup, to the shallow XS cup. This feature reduces the volume of the first cup. It also allows for more support in the upper register and a progressively brighter sound. "

http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=47
Wolfgang Winkler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark was explaining the rim cup transition of his BC mouthpieces in an older post...

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123031
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PieterS wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
The rim size, shape and alpha angle on a Curry 7C should be the same as that of the Curry 7BC (or any of the other Curry 7-sized mouthpieces).

"There is a gradual reduction of undercut, or initial slope into the main, or first cup, from the deeper B cup, to the shallow XS cup. This feature reduces the volume of the first cup. It also allows for more support in the upper register and a progressively brighter sound. "

Ah, you're right - the alpha angle does change a little as the cups progress from deep to shallow.

Thanks for the correction!

The point I was trying to get across is, Mark puts the same rim shape and size on all the mouthpieces of a certain rim number, unlike Bach, where the 7C has a different rim than the 7B; the 1C, 1B, and 1 all have different rims, etc..

The first sentence from the URL you referenced:

Quote:
Engineered like no other mouthpiece, the Curry Standard Line incorporates the same rim and bitepoint on the shallowest to the deepest cup within each diameter. This feature gives you the freedom to select the right cup for the job without having to get used to a different rim.

There is a gradual reduction of undercut, or initial slope into the main, or first cup, from the deeper B cup, to the shallow XS cup.

And the main thing I wanted to convey was the fact that all BC mouthpieces have their cup depth and shape based on the 1B. From a post Mark made answering me when I asked him about this:

Mark Curry wrote:
I based the "BC" template from Rogers 1B cup. It served as the CAD template for the rest of the sizes.

Thanks for the correction!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PieterS wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

So I'm pretty sure you're both right...

Pieter, you're right in the alpha angle gets higher as the cup gets shallower... But if I understand the BC design correctly, the rim and entrance into the cup is the C cup which then transitions to the B cup at a suitable depth.

As such, my assumption then is that the top of the 7C including the Alpha angle belongs to the 7C, so they should be the same at the top, just different shaped cups lower down.

... It think...
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To throw a spanner in the works, I found a curry 90TF in my collection that I haven't touched for quite a long time.

I plugged it into my C trumpet and all I can say is... wow. At first it was a bit odd, but something about this piece is great. It is very responsive at soft dynamics and can put out a huge sound (Huge and focused! Not flugely at all!) in the lower and mid registers when pushed, and it just feels very easy to play.
At first I wasn't sure about the rim, but after a few days, I'm finding the 600 rim series to be really comfortable.

The diameter doesn't seem to bother me much either. I can still arpeggio up to my Double Ebs, however the sound above G on the staff looses its focus and intensity and begins to sound more flugely unless really playing quite loudly.

The curry site describes it as having a 'veiled quality' to the sound, and I know what it means. When playing softer, the sound seems to hug itself, but as you add some volume it becomes full and fat both behind and in front. I'm always worried that the sound out front might be different than that behind the bell, so I got my Zoom out and did some tests with a few piece. The TF really sounded great out front on my C trumpet, except the change as I get above the staff. It really beat the other piece pieces in sound quality and control in the mid and low registers.

So...
I've gone and placed an order with Dillons for the 90TC. Alas it'll be several weeks before I get it as it's not in stock and it has an ocean to cross to get to me, but I'm hoping it'll feel quite like the TF cup but with more focus and presence above the staff and hopefully will light up a bit more when pushed.

Also, I'm not sure whether it is the rim shape or what but I've been finding this piece seems to play very nicely with a practice mute. Obviously it still feels like I'm using a practice mute, but normally playing open after using a mute things feel a bit out of whack and the sound is off, but I've been finding I can go back and forward with this piece and it's no problem at all. As I have to do a lot of muted practice at the moment it's a godsend and I'll keep using it until I get the TC!
KJaeger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry Undercut (BC cup vs others) Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Curry 7BC I've been tooting a bit. I like it quite a lot. I've been playing some surprisingly strong Double Cs and Ebs on my C trumpet with it... So I think the undercut and diameter work well. I can get some very good volume out of it too, eg. the top end of the Mahler 5 excerpts players very easily on it.

I find the low register articulation at softer dynamics is quick but a little bit fluffy though. So, for example, those opening C#s of the Mahler 5 excerpt don't 'pop' at that dynamic quite the way I'd like.
Also, multiple tonguing above the staff feels a little like it lacks support. So I think it's bit too open in the throat for me, and that maybe a little more bowl shaped would improve the clarity of the articulation.

In looking for a mouthpiece to match my C trumpet, I was trying out a Curry 3BC as I have pretty much always played a 3C-size rim. I noticed the same characteristics that you described with respect to articulation in low and high registers (ironically, on the same excerpt). I had a whole set of Curry 1.5-rim mpcs (incl a Curry 1.5BC) from a desire years ago to go larger which I never followed through on. Lo and behold, trying the larger size rim on the BC cup fixed those same issues for me (better clarity of attacks, better control at all dynamic levels etc). And I found that my range/endurance didn't suffer with the larger piece as I had feared - if anything it improved. I liked it so much that I've just switched now to Curry 1.5-size rims for my Bb playing as well because I liked the results so much (and I already had a whole set of cup sizes with the 1.5C and 1.5DE anyway).

Just a thought, but perhaps you might try one rim size larger in the Curry BC and see how that might help with sound/articulation?

Schilke B7
1935 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore
Bach 37 (rebuilt by Charlie Melk) w/ MTV-525 leadpipe
Kanstul 1510-A C trumpet
Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjaeger - Thanks for the info about the diameter. Good to know.

I had a curry 1.5BC but alas I sold it because it didn't work for me on my Bb trumpet and I wasn't playing on C as much then.

I do wish Mark would make the 600 series with the BC cup because I'm really liking this 600 series rim on my 90TF. But I saw that he was considering doing that many years ago and hasn't get gotten around to it, so I expect it's not going to happen except as a custom job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: