• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What I've learned in 8 months...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: What I've learned in 8 months... Reply with quote

Things I’ve learned in 8 months after a 30 year break:

1. A different mouthpiece and/or a different trumpet won’t make you better, HOWEVER you will find that certain trumpets and mouthpieces make playing easier and more fun.
2. If you aren’t on a pro horn, and can afford one, get one.
3. There are two types of people- those that embark on a never ending search for the right mouthpiece, and those that play the same one forever. I’m jealous of the latter.
4. As a comeback player, like in fitness, your growth will be in leaps and plateaus. One day you’ll feel stuck, the next day you’ll be playing a piece you couldn’t touch a month ago. Just keep playing.
5. The endless amount of of information in forums, youtube, method books, etc. are overwhelming and confusing. Find a teacher, or pick the material that speaks to you. Mix it up.
6. Find people to play with (I’m still working on this, but did solo at church recently, which was terrifying). If you can’t find anyone, use your computer to record yourself and play some duets.
7. Keep an extra mouthpiece in the car (lots of cheap second hand mpcs out there), buzz songs you hear on the radio.
8. The same horn and mouthpiece can create a wide array of sounds, record yourself and experiment a bit.
9. If you eat almonds, hang your horn up for the day.

I can confidently say I'm better now than I ever was, but I couldn't touch 90% of the folks on this forum, but I'll keep playing anyway.

Always good info here, thanks to the forum for that!

VW
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What I've learned in 8 months... Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
Things I’ve learned in 8 months after a 30 year break:
3. There are two types of people- those that embark on a never ending search for the right mouthpiece, and those that play the same one forever. I’m jealous of the latter.

A lot of what you've learnt I think is right on the mark!

I just wanted to offer a slightly different perspective to the Mouthpiece Safari problem... [Although I think 8 months into a comeback it's too soon to be playing around with mouthpieces too much, but when you get a bit further along]

I think it makes more sense to look at mouthpieces as a non-dichotomy. This thinking came via the Story of Gerard Schwartz having 30+ trumpets, and having in his mind that that one is good for a specific piece of music, and that one for a different piece etc. I think his mouthpiece probably stayed consistent, but he changed instruments depending on the piece in question. Unfortunately, most of us can't afford 30 trumpets. But we can do something similar with mouthpiece to a certain extent.

So instead of each time you buy a mouthpiece you try and determine if it's "THE ONE" you will play for all time (And as you grow as a player, chances are it'll change -- so I wouldn't really think about mouthpiece choice too much right now), you approach it from the perspective of "Okay, what does this particular piece offer? What does it do well? What doesn't it do well?" And make notes about that. You'll find you have favourites over time that work well for certain general things. Others wont really work for anything. You'll find that the ones that become favorites have certain attributes and the ones that don't work for really anything will have attributes.
At which point it becomes much easier to narrow down what works and doesn't for your face and in what contexts things work.

Soldier on!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for making it through 8 months. I'm at a little over 6 months after a 50 year lay-off ( I'm 80 ). I started playing with a local community band 3 weeks ago and had enough range ( E over high C ) to play first trumpet. Boy, it sure beats playing alone.
I used a Bach 10 1/2C in my younger days. I used it to come back but switched to a 3C a month ago to get a more robust sound. The 3C works for me so I will be sticking with it.
I have a routine where I practice technical stuff for 90 minutes in the early am and play tunes for an hour in the afternoon. Endurance is not bad but a far cry from when I played 2 to 3 hour gigs in the 50s/60s. It gets me through my sessions with the band but I'd like a bit more gas in the tank to spare.

Everything you said is pretty much dead on.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almonds ?
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What I've learned in 8 months... Reply with quote

[quote="vwag"]

9. If you eat almonds, hang your horn up for the day.

/quote]

Brush & floss AND chew some sugarfree gum, then you'll be OK.

I favor blue Eclipse myself.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, vwag.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: