• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

20 Year Break

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: 20 Year Break Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Texas. Hate these introduction things, but guess regulars here do need some background for suggestions.

Started playing in 1976 and stopped around 1996-- never professional-- got busy with work, family, etc. Trumpet just fell by wayside.

Fast forward to 2016 & suddenly find myself "nominated" to play liturgical music at a church. Invested in a C trumpet because... always wanted one. : D

("Official" explanation is cantor will have easier time if I just sight read in same pitch. Har.)

So... Still have my trusty Shilke B1b, and now a Strad C180L239.

Typical comeback FAQ:

1.) Mouthpiece Game: Strad came with stock 7C, so am guessing I'll do fine with a Shilke 15C4, but as long as getting in shape-- preferred MP for C trumpet?

I ask because bewildering choices on the net. "standard series", "heavy series", "symphony models" & so on. Any truth to descriptions like, "warmer tone, preferred by... etc. etc." or just marketing?

2.) Books: Still have Colin's Lip Flexibilities & Arbans. From middle school, seem to recall beginning books that had light blue or beige covers. Ring any bells? Might be better getting into shape with simple beginner books & long tones rather than flipping through Arbans.

Student books from 40 years ago a long shot, but thought I'd ask.

Anyway. Thanks for reading!

--Bruce
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 20 Year Break Reply with quote

BruceD wrote:
From middle school, seem to recall beginning books that had light blue or beige covers. Ring any bells? Might be better getting into shape with simple beginner books & long tones rather than flipping through Arbans.

Maybe the Rubank books? Just guess, based on the blue cover. They're what I used 30 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1423444191

Welcome back. Lots of comeback players here, myself included.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JLoyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always play on a mouthpiece that's COMFORTABLE. Forget about Brand, Numbers, or Letters.

I would recommend picking up the Clark and Schlossberg books.

With Clarke? work on one study per week or two.

Schlossberg? work through maybe 1-2 exercises per section of the book.

Practice SLOWLY, and in small increments of no more that 20 minutes until you develop more strength and breath control.

Where do you live in Texas? Getting a teacher always makes these things much smoother.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bruce, happy to meet another comeback player. I'm 80 years old and came back this spring after a 50 year layoff. Been at it now for 6 months and just started playing with a local community orchestra 2 weeks ago.

Lots of experienced players here can offer tips when needed. Good luck with the C trumpet and the church stuff.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
BruceD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies.

@"TrumpetMD"
Books look familiar so will give them a try. 3 for 20 bucks-- hard to go wrong. Maybe dry sense of humor, but found their lowest review (3 stars) kind of funny. Someone panned them because...

"They're boring. There's no songs. I suppose if you're confident they're OK, but if you want music, don't buy them."

He's never heard of "fake books?" ; )

And confident? Not sure what he meant by that. Flip to back of Arbans & see pages with more black than white-- seeming impossible variations on "Merchant of Venice." For me at least, that's a lesson in humility.

@"JLoyalist"
I'm in San Antonio, so just down the I-35 parking lot from you. Probably much better stores up in Austin. Wish we had some here. Long story about one store here that's bizarre, but will save that for another topic.

Teacher is very good advice. Can only do so much at an html board.

May have found informal teacher. Retired Air Force Band of the West guy who's in his 80's and has the most amazing tone I've ever heard. He has macular degeneration, but still plays by ear & has me working on my own tone & re-learning scales.

Green with envy for his trumpet-- some kind of Yamaha pro line. He was nice enough to let me try it & wow! Even with my weak chops-- the Yamaha made such a beautiful sound. So maybe most of it is still the musician behind the trumpet, but the horn itself does seem to make a difference. Will try to find out what model it is if anyone interested...

@GeorgeB
That's great! Please don't take this the wrong way, but your reply is quite reassuring. In the choir, I'm the "old guy." (Our director is 'only' in her 30's) : D

At 51, hope I'm not out to pasture yet! OTOH, guess if I were a high school student, anyone in their 50's might be "old." Who knows... Still coming to terms with the "generation gap" thing. : D

--Bruce
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceD wrote:
Thanks for replies
@GeorgeB
That's great! Please don't take this the wrong way, but your reply is quite reassuring. In the choir, I'm the "old guy." (Our director is 'only' in her 30's) : D

At 51, hope I'm not out to pasture yet! OTOH, guess if I were a high school student, anyone in their 50's might be "old." Who knows... Still coming to terms with the "generation gap" thing. : D

--Bruce

I know the feeling. The band I play in is for seniors but the age varies from 50 to 60...so at 80 I am the " old guy " LOL
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceD wrote:
@"TrumpetMD"
Books look familiar so will give them a try. 3 for 20 bucks-- hard to go wrong. Maybe dry sense of humor, but found their lowest review (3 stars) kind of funny. Someone panned them because...

"They're boring. There's no songs. I suppose if you're confident they're OK, but if you want music, don't buy them."

He's never heard of "fake books?" ; )

Ya gotta love reviewer comments on Amazon.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend starting with an easier lip flexibility method such as the Embouchure Builder by Lowell Little and/or Irons 27 Groups of exercises. If you look in the Pedagogy section of this site Pops has posted a link to free versions of St Jacombes and Clarke Technical Studies. Here is a link to a site that has an Arbans practice plan.

http://www.tsmp.org/band/trumpet/wurtz_arban_practice_routine.html
BruceD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies and the link to Arban's.

Here's update after first meeting with teacher. It was uhm... not what I'd expected.

Might be long, but here goes. ; )

========
First lesson with teacher was like Jekyll and Hyde. 86 year old guy is jovial and always seems happy and supportive.

Not when it comes to trumpet lessons though!

Teacher: "OK, so just play a song you know."

Wasn't but a few bars into Somewhere Over the Rainbow when he pounced.

"No no no! That's terrible! Just play a long note SOFTLY ! I might have Macular Degeneration, but nothing wrong with my ears. Now try it again, and LISTEN. Try to make it sing."

So I try it again.

"OK Stop. I don't know what you're doing but your tone's all wrong. Look. Just play a C scale like this..."

Plays beautiful long notes on his Yamaha horn. (I asked & it's a 6335 H2 -- whatever that means, but it certainly sounds nice!)

Anyway, long story short-- he plays a song, and has me learn it by ear. I'm jotting the notes down on a steno pad. C... D... G... Mid-C scale up to..."

Never done music that way, but the guy can't see. Whatever.

Finally get it down and finally get some encouragement!

"Good Good! You're already getting better. See? Play it like a violin.... Keep the air moving but don't scream at me!" Then he gets a giant 3-ring notebook full of music, and pulls out a page.

"I think this is the song. What's the title say?"

I look at the music, and yes -- same tune, but four sharps is concert E not concert C isn't it?

Sly old devil! Probably knew what he was doing all along!

That has me thinking about his approach. Maybe the music comes first *then* the trumpet?

Anyone use that method? Thought it clever I guess.

Don't think he cares a rat's bottom about notes on the page, only what those notes should *sound* like-- if that makes any sense.

Made the mistake of asking him how long should I practice.

Another diatribe. (He's still very passionate about music.)

"No no NO!" Don't worry about things like that! Practice until you get tired and then come back and practice later. Know how I passed the audition to get into the Air Force Band? The directer said it was my tone. I'm lucky-- I mean what those other guys were doing while we were warming up. On one level they were way better than I was. I just tried to make it sing. Tried to make the music sound beautiful. Do that and it will pay off for you. Don't start playing head games with yourself. Just settle down and LISTEN!"

===

So what do teachers & pros think about this idea? Crazy old coot or he's onto something? Is this how they practice in the military? How pro's practice?

Lesson One: What good is the music (when that's expected) if he who sounds the best is the one who passes the audition?

That's how it works? I find this out after 40 years. Ha!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, now that is an interesting ( but somewhat odd ) teacher.

The best teacher I had was a professional trumpet player who not only showed you things but demonstrated them.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded in your update post about much of what Arturo Sandoval has to say, Bruce D.

Jim
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 20 Year Break Reply with quote

BruceD wrote:
Hi everyone,

Greetings from Texas. Hate these introduction things, but guess regulars here do need some background for suggestions.

Started playing in 1976 and stopped around 1996-- never professional-- got busy with work, family, etc. Trumpet just fell by wayside.

Fast forward to 2016 & suddenly find myself "nominated" to play liturgical music at a church. Invested in a C trumpet because... always wanted one. : D

("Official" explanation is cantor will have easier time if I just sight read in same pitch. Har.)

So... Still have my trusty Shilke B1b, and now a Strad C180L239.

Typical comeback FAQ:

1.) Mouthpiece Game: Strad came with stock 7C, so am guessing I'll do fine with a Shilke 15C4, but as long as getting in shape-- preferred MP for C trumpet?

I ask because bewildering choices on the net. "standard series", "heavy series", "symphony models" & so on. Any truth to descriptions like, "warmer tone, preferred by... etc. etc." or just marketing?

2.) Books: Still have Colin's Lip Flexibilities & Arbans. From middle school, seem to recall beginning books that had light blue or beige covers. Ring any bells? Might be better getting into shape with simple beginner books & long tones rather than flipping through Arbans.

Student books from 40 years ago a long shot, but thought I'd ask.

Anyway. Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

Bruce! Really enjoyed reading your humoresque comeback saga, written with a nice&warm sense of tenderness!
Old guyīs talk of singing tonal quality - that I can relate to as my favourit pro who made me comeback after 8 month of despair (I know, 8 months is just an eyeblink compared to your interlude) - told me over and over again - "donīt do that, why do you contort your face, relax, breathe man breathe! You should enjoy blowing - not look like your were going to puke. Dolce! Dolce! Express your feelings!" He made me understand that even if I had played rather well prior to my chops-collapse (amateur), in reality I had been tense all over the place. Long story.
But in essence I think heīs onto something! Then of course use your Colin flexibilities -really good stuff. Bai Lin has written a very good book continuing in the spirit of Schlossberg, Colin etc.
For the technical part - Arban, Clarke! But also songs - play with delight!
Also I think his ideas about practicing til you get tired , then take a pause are valid. In my personal view - try to develop a keen sense of when you get tired - so that you can take a pause before you harm your lips!
Personally Iīve been tremendously helped in this respect by the BE method but thatīs another story. (Jeff Smiley lives in Texas)
Mpc?? Gee, that is so personal. Whatever feels nice to your lips, gives a big fat tone without wearing you out quickly. Probably something in the 7C area. But you gotta try it out. Old man Mose may have a collection to test.
I kinda like this guy from your descriptions. Not mad but passionate!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

Sounds like a great first lesson.. I enjoyed your account! If I were to guess, I might know the teacher and may have worked with him in the Air Force Band.

Yes, yes, and yes.. Play music with a good tone.

My suggestion for you is to work on fundamentals: Flow STudies, scales, Clarke Studies, and things like that AND hymn tunes-the things you're performing in church. Make them sing. Phrasing, appropriate articulation, dynamics, a full-flowing sound. Then maybe, lyrical etudes/solos that will promote that manner of playing (Concone).

I agree with the idea of not thinking "how long should I practice" .. the 30 minutes a night or longer idea is for children that are learing-not only is this getting them on the instrument but also training them to be diligent, etc.
You will be practicing nearly every day, and practice until you're fatigued or need to move on to something else - then come back later. Short chunks will do you more good than you think.

From what you've written, I'm right in line with this teacher/lesson.. I must be a crazy ole Coot, too.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
BruceD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies & encouragement.

Had wondered if teacher story was too long. (Since touch type, posts do get long.)

Interesting about Sandoval. Mentioned Lee Morgan's version of "I Remember Clifford" as example of what I aspire to play (liturgical music is OK but not much fun.) That brought up Arturo's tribute album so who knows...

Will have to search for his take on practicing or how people should approach trumpet.

Lesson TWO:

Trying to unlearn my bad habits. Relaxing is not something I was trained to do, so we're trying to remedy that. Won't bore you with details.

Final note, don't know how many Air Force Bandsmen here in San Antonio, but teacher's initials are "JC" and he has his own inspirational story.

Showed me a b&w photo of him shaking hands with some guy.

"Know who that is?"

"Uhm... Should I?"

"That's John Williams! He wrote the theme for Star Wars. He was at our reunion."

Seems Mr. Williams put in an appearance, and said to "JC" -- Yes, I remember you. You had a very nice tone." (Apparently he was guest conductor for them or something.)

"JC" hadn't touched a trumpet in 20 years since his retirement, but that got him to playing again. Even if Williams was just being polite, amazing what a kind word like can do. : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: