• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reasons for choosing a particular cornet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reasons for choosing a particular cornet Reply with quote

Hi

Reading GordonH's mouthpiece thread in which he mentions possibly being on the look out for a new cornet, gave me some ideas for a thread, and what will hopefully be an interesting discussion.

I been playing my current cornet for getting on for three years, and I like it more than ever, and I believe that this is because I finally went for what I liked.

For many years I played a Bach 184ML cornet in a band whose whole cornet section play Bach 184MLs. I still think that it is a great cornet, but its type of sound and articulations didn't blend so well in the section of Sovereigns in my new band, and I started looking for something new.

I'd owned a few more brass orientated cornets in the past, namely a Yamaha Maestro, 928 Sovereign, 927 Sovereign and Boosey and Hawkes Imperial, but didn't keep any of them except the Imperial, preferring my Bach 184ML. I always wished that I had kept my Maestro as I really liked it, but I made the mistake of trading it in for a 928 Sovereign, which I ultimately hated.

I went to Phil Parkers and tried the 8335 Xeno and 8335G Xeno, two Besson Prestiges and a Smith Watkins K2. They didn't currently have one of the new french made 928 Sovereigns in stock, having sold two in the day between me arranging to come down and actually driving down.

I initally really liked both Xenos, but worried that their sound was a little on the thin sound compared to both Prestiges. One Prestige played quite a bit tighter than the other, so I discarded that one. I however really didn't like the blow of the Prestige. I thought that the Smith Watkins K2 was the best compromise between the blow of the Xeno and sound of the Prestige, so I went for the K2. Unfortunately it developed a valve problem warranting its return, and not ultimately liking the feel of the Kanstul valves (just my personal preference I'm sure), I changed it for a new 928 Sovereign. I was expecting my youngest at the time, was very tired owing to a bad train journey with lots of delays on the underground, and with hindsight it wasn't the best day to try cornets.

Anyway, it turned out that I hated this 928 Sovereign just as much as my last one, and I decided to try a secondhand 8335 Xeno on approval.

The ones I had tried at Phil Parkers were silver-plated whereas this one was lacquered. Not directly comparing the two I don't know, but I felt that the lacquered model had a richer fuller sound than my memory of the silver-plated ones. Maybe it was just a different room.

Anyway, I really liked the Xeno again so decided to go for it this time. My initial thoughts were that its articulations weren't quite a clean as those of my Bach 184ML, and that my Sovereign had a slightly richer sound. I however loved how it played and its flexibility.

I really worked on my tone and articulations until I was happy with both.

My conclusion is that you have to ultimately choose an instrument which you like playing. I liked my Xeno enough to put in the effort to improve the aspects of my playing which I felt were the weakest aspect of the cornet itself or at least the weakest aspects of my playing on this particular cornet, whilst enjoying all the things which I initially liked on this cornet, and nearly three years down the line, I am more convinced than ever that I made the right choice to go for an instrument which I like playing.

Probably there are many better cornets out there, but this one has the advantage of many many hours of practice time and getting to really know it, which at least for me, holds far more value than what I could gain from switching to a better cornet.

I suppose you could argue what if I spent all this practice time on a better cornet. True, but limitations in my technique no doubt hold me back further than any limitations in my current cornet.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing the views of others.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reasons for choosing a particular cornet Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

My conclusion is that you have to ultimately choose an instrument which you like playing. I liked my Xeno enough to put in the effort to improve the aspects of my playing which I felt were the weakest aspect of the cornet itself or at least the weakest aspects of my playing on this particular cornet, whilst enjoying all the things which I initially liked on this cornet, and nearly three years down the line, I am more convinced than ever that I made the right choice to go for an instrument which I like playing.

Probably there are many better cornets out there, but this one has the advantage of many many hours of practice time and getting to really know it, which at least for me, holds far more value than what I could gain from switching to a better cornet.

I suppose you could argue what if I spent all this practice time on a better cornet. True, but limitations in my technique no doubt hold me back further than any limitations in my current cornet.

All the best

Lou

I think you're completely right. Any opinion on "best" is really based on "best for you" past a certain point, and hard work is rarely a bad idea. You could substitute a lot of different instruments for "cornet", above, and still be giving excellebt advice.

Ultimately it comes down to finding the right instrument and mouthpiece for you and then putting in the hard work to get to know that combination so well that it feels instinctive to play.

It took me a good, solid ten years to get to that point but now that I have, you'll have to pry these instruments out of my cold, dead hands!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Anyone trying to sell the line that everyone needs to play then same instrument or mouthpiece is essentially full of it.

In a recent concert of trumpet ensemble music we had Bb and Cs playing together, piston and rotary flugels, different brands, mouthpieces models to the point nothing was 'matched' yet it all blended.

Because we wanted to, and tried, all while playing our preferred instruments. In some cases, they were borrowed, with almost zero time on the horn!

So, play what you like!

Cheers

Andy
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my search I've tried a variety of cornets. I liked the Xeno a lot. But for the overall tone character, I prefer the 928 (lacquer) which is my current horn. And I could easily be persuaded to switch back to the Xeno because it's a very close match. Right now I am having fun with the Besson, but I do wish that they would copy the yamaha trigger design, which feels a lot better than the heavy sprung 928 triggers. Is it just the spring? I don't know. I would also agree that there is a tradeoff between articulation (+1 for the Xeno) and tonal quality (+1 for the 928) on these two super popular cornets.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reasons for choosing a particular cornet Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

All the best

Lou

Hi Tom

I think you're completely right. Any opinion on "best" is really based on "best for you" past a certain point, and hard work is rarely a bad idea. You could substitute a lot of different instruments for "cornet", above, and still be giving excellebt advice.

Thank you very much.

Ultimately it comes down to finding the right instrument and mouthpiece for you and then putting in the hard work to get to know that combination so well that it feels instinctive to play.

I couldn't agree more.

It took me a good, solid ten years to get to that point but now that I have, you'll have to pry these instruments out of my cold, dead hands!

Same here.

Tom

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Yes.

Anyone trying to sell the line that everyone needs to play then same instrument or mouthpiece is essentially full of it.

In a recent concert of trumpet ensemble music we had Bb and Cs playing together, piston and rotary flugels, different brands, mouthpieces models to the point nothing was 'matched' yet it all blended.

Because we wanted to, and tried, all while playing our preferred instruments. In some cases, they were borrowed, with almost zero time on the horn!

So, play what you like!

Sounds good to me.

Thanks very much, Andy.

Take Care

Lou

Cheers

Andy

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
In my search I've tried a variety of cornets. I liked the Xeno a lot. But for the overall tone character, I prefer the 928 (lacquer) which is my current horn. And I could easily be persuaded to switch back to the Xeno because it's a very close match.

Hi roynj

Thanks very much.

Right now I am having fun with the Besson,

I am very pleased to hear this.

but I do wish that they would copy the yamaha trigger design, which feels a lot better than the heavy sprung 928 triggers. Is it just the spring? I don't know.

I'm not sure about this, swings and roundabouts I reckon. I'm not sure whether it can be adjusted, I've never really looked, but I personally find the 3rd trigger of the Xeno useless as it is, as it is too far away from the valve block and I can't reach it. I'm not very good with triggers and slides having tiny hands, and maybe I'm being thick and using them wrong, but when I have a piece where bottom D is the only note using the third valve (as I have in my orchestra at the moment), I keep the third slide of my trumpet extended, which I find easier with a third slide ring, as I can just take my small hands off the valve block and hold the slide extended in one position. I wouldn't want to hold a trigger in for any length of time.

Regarding the 1st valve trigger, I like the one on the Xeno when I actually want to use it, although without a recess for the cork, my cork never stays on, and the trigger arm would bang against the valve block if I was to fully depress the trigger. I however find the spring a bit soft for resting my left thumb on when not using the trigger, as I do on my Bach 184ML. My preference to be honest, would be the stiffer 1st trigger of the Bach 184ML, which only moves when I deliberately use it. I can't remember having a preference either way with the Sovereign triggers.

I would also agree that there is a tradeoff between articulation (+1 for the Xeno) and tonal quality (+1 for the 928) on these two super popular cornets.

I agree, although I consider the Xeno's strong point to be its flexibility rather than its articulations.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Louise,

Reasons for choosing a particular axe are many and varied, but often the big killer is cost.

New cornets aren't cheap, in OZ anyway, so many of us are restricted to what is available second-hand.

So, having said that, I bought my Besson 723 because it was all the cornet I could afford at the time, and happened upon my Olds later on. There is no doubt the Olds is a better instrument for me thant the Besson, free-er blowing and with a much thicker sound. However, the Besson can be more delicate, and there are times when I like to play it in preference to the Olds.

I would love to get the chance to play a S-W or Eclipse - I have played newer Besson and Yamahas and enjoyed them, but not enough to drop over $3K on....

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

So, you have owned a Yamaha Maestro, 928 Sovereign, 927 Sovereign, Boosey and Hawkes Imperial, Bach 184ML, and now a Yamaha 8335 Xeno.

Wow. That's some great hardware. I'm jealous. I would be ecstatic to have any of those horns.

The other day I went to Rich Ita's brass shop and I was thrilled to get to play a Blessing XL.

It's good to be Lou.

If I want advice on a cornet I am considering purchasing, I will definintely ask your opinion.

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Lou,

Hi Grits

So, you have owned a Yamaha Maestro, 928 Sovereign, 927 Sovereign, Boosey and Hawkes Imperial, Bach 184ML, and now a Yamaha 8335 Xeno.

Yes, but over more than 20 years.

Basically my first cornet was my Bach 184ML, which I bought new in 1995 and still have.

I regrettably traded in the Maestro for a new 928 Sovereign, which I sold on Ebay to buy a used 927 Sovereign, which I hated more than any other cornet I've ever played, and gave it to my step-daughter, who loves it.

I bought the Imperial for £75 for my son to learn on. He never did, and I kept it and still have it.

I then bought another 928 Sovereign, which I again hated, so bought a used Yamaha Xeno. I kept the 928 Sovereign in the wardrobe until last year when I traded it in for my Xeno trumpet.

I've basically now got the Bach 184ML, Yamaha Xeno and Boosey and Hawkes Imperial, but predominantly play the Xeno at the moment.

As you can presumably guess, I just don't like the Sovereign.

Wow. That's some great hardware. I'm jealous. I would be ecstatic to have any of those horns.

I suppose that I am very lucky to own and have owned some great horns, and I am very thankful for this.

The other day I went to Rich Ita's brass shop and I was thrilled to get to play a Blessing XL.

I haven't played a Blessing, but I believe them to be a nice cornet.

It's good to be Lou.

Maybe in some regards, not in others. Life is really a mixed bag..

If I want advice on a cornet I am considering purchasing, I will definintely ask your opinion.

You would be most welcome.

Regards,
Grits

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

Reminded me of a story I read about a trumpeter in a military band, whose director wanted all the trumpets on the same Bach 3C mouthpiece. In an act of passive-aggression/self-preservation, he had a copy of his favorite mouthpiece turned to look like a Bach blank, and then had it stamped "3C".

Problem solved.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the old Olds cornets. I picked up a "Special" for $90.00 some years back on craigslist. Once she's warmed-up, she really sings nicely. It's a funky old horn, but a bargain at twice the price.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
Don't overlook the old Olds cornets. I picked up a "Special" for $90.00 some years back on craigslist. Once she's warmed-up, she really sings nicely. It's a funky old horn, but a bargain at twice the price.

Hi

Yes, nice cornets.

My first cornet was a band issued Olds Special, just like this one:

http://trevorjonesltd.co.uk/Second_Hand_Cornet_3.htm

Funny choice in my opinion for a British Brass Band (my previous brass band), since it is an "American" cornet rather than a short model with a shepherd's crook, but when I joined the band towards the end of 1994 on 2nd cornet, the back row were issued with Olds Specials and the front row Bach 184MLs. I bought my own 184ML at the end of 1995, and moved to Solo Cornet in the beginning of 1996. I'm sure that there was no link between the two, but I did at least have the same cornet as the rest of the front row.

I kept with the Bach 184ML until I joined my current brass band in 2012, and found that it didn't blend as well as I liked in a section of Sovereigns.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
Andy Del wrote:

Reminded me of a story I read about a trumpeter in a military band, whose director wanted all the trumpets on the same Bach 3C mouthpiece. In an act of passive-aggression/self-preservation, he had a copy of his favorite mouthpiece turned to look like a Bach blank, and then had it stamped "3C".

Problem solved.

Hi starkadder

Sounds a good idea. I have a Kanstul custom 3C top in a Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece blank. Technically you'd need a short shank backbore in a plain blank style to really look like a Denis Wick mouthpiece.

I didn't have mine made for the reason for pretending to play a Denis Wick mouthpiece, but it turns out that it gives a slightly different sound owing presumably to a different distribution of mass, which seems to suit a Sovereign cornet. I prefer a Bach trumpet-style blank top on my Yamaha cornet, and feel that it gives a richer sound.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I am heading back into championship section on solo cornet. To get the dynamic range required I might need to change cornet. Scottish bands play far too loud. If I was in Yorkshire I probably wouldn't need to think about switching!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Looks like I am heading back into championship section on solo cornet. To get the dynamic range required I might need to change cornet. Scottish bands play far too loud. If I was in Yorkshire I probably wouldn't need to think about switching!

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much. It was your thread which on the mouthpiece forum and you mentioning the above which gave me the idea for this thread.

I haven't owned or played a Maestro for years, but cannot remember an issue with its dynamic range. I definitely do not find any issues with dynamic range with the Xeno, but I have no idea how it compares to the Maestro in any regard, owning them both probably at least 10 years apart.

Essex/Suffolk Brass Bands also seem to have gotten louder over the years, so maybe it is not just Scottish bands lol.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

...must be a lot of Scots down here in my band....

(I might be one of them )

What would you think of buying to go louder Gordon?

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
GordonH wrote:

...must be a lot of Scots down here in my band....

(I might be one of them )

What would you think of buying to go louder Gordon?

Cheers,
Roger

Almost anything other than Bach ML or Schilke. Any of the large bore, more open cornets. At the moment I am strangely drawn to the Prestige simply because of its sound. I think it favours larger mouthpieces.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GordonH

In my limited experience with the Prestige, I would say that it seems to work best (at least for me) with more open mouthpieces rather than necessarily larger mouthpieces overall.

I have more experience with the 928 Sovereign than the Prestige, and my perception is always that I cannot get sufficient air into the Sovereign with a mouthpiece with a too small throat/too tight backbore. This isn't probably very scientific and my old band master used to say that you vibrate the air in the instrument rather than put air in, but whatever the science, I always feel that rather than tight in the way that a lot of resistance feels, the Sovereign feels dead and unresponsive to me until I switch to a more open mouthpiece, then it really seems to open up in sound and response. My limited experience with the Prestige is that it is much on the same lines, but probably even more so.

You probably have plenty of ideas of cornets to try, but my suggestions in no particular order would be the Yamaha Neo, Besson Prestige and Sovereign, Smith Watkins K2, Geneva (although I have heard negative things about their build quality) and Willson. One of my band colleagues bought a Willson to replace his 928 Sovereign which had had an accident and didn't play as well after repairs, after trying everything he could get his hands on. I personally haven't played it, but it sounds pretty much like his previous Sovereign in his hands. He liked either the Xeno or Neo (he cannot remember which he tried) least of all, and he eventually narrowed his choice down to the Willson and Besson Prestige, which he said was a close second. It goes to show that we are all different, as I would pick the Xeno (I'm yet to try the Neo) over the Prestige any day.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second what Lou's said...

The Neo, Prestige, Sovereign and Smith-Watkins K2 should all be up there, I'd add the Eclipse (which is, for me, comfortably the best I've played) and the Getzen 3850 to the list.

I've seen a couple of Geneva's that were shockingly poor quality (and unsurprisingly played poorly, too) - when there are so many great instruments available for the same money, I'd avoid them like the plague.

I didn't dislike my Maestro, but the K2 is far more capable in a modern band context (again, for me), a bit more flexible and a capable of a much bigger noise - if I played Bb all the time I'd be saving for the Eclipse and selling the K2, but that's pretty much the only thing I'd swap it for.

As always, it comes down to what you can try and what you like best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: