• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pines of Rome Eb trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Pines of Rome Eb trumpet Reply with quote

What do you think about using an Eb trumpet to play rehearsals 6-8 in the first movement of Pines of Rome? I find this tremendously easier and less stressful on the Eb rather than C. It's a tricky switch (not much time) but I'd rather fumble horns than notes.

Does anyone else do this?
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pines of Rome Eb trumpet Reply with quote

JayV wrote:
What do you think about using an Eb trumpet to play rehearsals 6-8 in the first movement of Pines of Rome? I find this tremendously easier and less stressful on the Eb rather than C. It's a tricky switch (not much time) but I'd rather fumble horns than notes.

Does anyone else do this?

I've never seen this done, but I can't imagine a downside if you're more comfortable on Eb and with making the quick swap. Since this is muted, any tambour difference will be minimal. Hard to think of any excuse to not play this section on Eb if you feel it will help you play your best.
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-flat works, but doesn't D make more sense?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few people that like using their Eb for just about anything they can get away with on it. If you have one that plays really well and you like it, why not?
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
E-flat works, but doesn't D make more sense?

My Eb tpt is better in tune in that key than my D trumpet. I agree though, the D trumpet would also be useful. If I had a better horn I might try that too.

Also, at rehearsal 5 on Eb tpt I figured out a trick that sounds decent and makes it very easy.

Instead of tonguing the 32nd notes at the front of those fanfares I use a valve tremolo on Eb, resulting in the following fingering:

12, 123, 12, (32nd, 32nd, 16th)

12, 123, 12, (triplet)

123, 2, 123, (triplet)

12, 123, 12 (triplet)

With the 3rd slide out enough, the intonation is fine. The only awkward pattern (for me) is the 122-2-123 on the triplet. But still, I find this MUCH easier to play at a very fast tempo.

I've performed this piece a couple times and it seems like every conductor wants this part to go so fast it's basically unplayable (for me). Is this solution too far out there?
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-Trumpet works best.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a great player who uses D for most/all of the 1st mvt. Especially on auditions.

Can't imagine wanting to use an Eb, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: