• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Experience - Kanstul 1603 "Committee"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, thanks for responding. I'm actually quite curious about what lead you to choosing a mouthpiece, like that, in general. But it's probably too off-topic for this thread. Do you find that the huge throat helps with the excess face tension?

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet wrote:
Fair enough, thanks for responding. I'm actually quite curious about what lead you to choosing a mouthpiece, like that, in general. But it's probably too off-topic for this thread. Do you find that the huge throat helps with the excess face tension?

I use a total of 5 different model trumpet mouthpieces from Flip Oakes. They range in throat size from #27, 26, 18 to 11. I also use a modular Kanstul setup with a #22 throat bore. In my experience, in a well balanced mouthpiece design, the bore determines the size of the sound produced and the density of that sound. The bigger the throat, the larger the sound seems, but it is less frenzied. As throat bore becomes smaller, the sound inhabits a smaller space and is more dense.

Also, the more open the bore, the more the player finds room to adjust pitch and tone, and more room to articulate and play with phrasing.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind continuing this conversation, I'm going to take it over to the mouthpiece section.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
dimkr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 1603 works best when played efficiently, especially with a medium-size, medium-depth mouthpiece (3C or smaller diameter). The extra depth of my 3B makes gives it more projection and power when played aggressively, at the cost of less brightness and reduced flexibility in tone color (i.e. it's still easy to play quietly, but harder to reach that Chet Baker style smoky, airy whisper unless you're used to the deeper cup and the more open feel of the backbore).

I kinda like the Gustat 2, its shallow V cup, thin rim and strong bite make it easier to exploit the endless possibilities of the Committee feel, including the open, flexible high register which rises like a flame. You can do all the fun stuff you can do with a medium-bore flugel, in a trumpet - so much fun!

I think it's only good as a solo mouthpiece, though - the 1603 doesn't blend very well even with a "legit" mouthpiece and the V cup makes things much, much worse.

Kanstul 1603
Carol Brass 3200H
Bach 3B or Yamaha 17B4

Carol Brass CFL-6200-GSS-SLB
Blessing 3FL or Bach 1.5CFL

"When you decide to be something, you can be it" (Frank Costello, in The Departed, 2006)
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What I am about to post is more in relation to how the discussion turned to Brian's choice of mouthpiece in his clip. I started typing it on the related thread in the mouthpiece forum, then decided that it would make better sense here.

People remarked that they wanted to hear a sound clip on the 1603 and Brian was kind enough to put one up.

I strongly believe in dialling in the set-up to suit the player, and although I fully agree with changing mouthpiece parameters to suit different playing situations, we all have our own sound, which probably prevails to a reasonably large extent.

We heard a clip of Brian playing the 1603. If people don't mind me saying so, I don't think it would have mattered in the slightest whether Brian had used one of his other mouthpieces in the clip.

The problem with these type of clips, and I can't see how you can really get away from it, is that the player's inherent sound prevails. Steve Dillard and Trent Austin sound great on anything in my opinion, and the multiple clips of them playing enable you to hear the variation in the sound of the same player on different equipment, which is a good thing if you simply consider how these differences are going to relate to your playing and sound. The problem with this, and I mean absolutely no offence, is that I am not particularly familiar with how Brian sounds on any trumpet. For me personally to ascertain the sound qualities of the 1603, I'd probably need to hear Brian on a range of different makes and models of trumpets, which of course isn't particularly practical. I would have thought Brian's choice of mouthpiece would be largely irrelevant.

We heard the 1603 in Brian's hands. It is difficult to ascertain from just this one clip, but I can't imagine me sounding anything like Brian on the 1603. This is no criticism of anyone's playing. I sound largely like me on all trumpets. I'd love to have a go on the 1603 and although it would probably sound different to me than my other trumpets, and most probably plays very differently to my Xeno II (descriptions of the playability of the 1603 suggest almost the opposite), I bet that people who know my playing well, would instantly hear Lou.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Real Deal

UPS arrived, just an hour or so ago, bringing a true, all original, unrestored Martin Committee Deluxe made somewhere between 1954 - 1957. Thank you Winghorn for heeding the call and for your unending generosity to allow me to sample your treasure.

I still have the Kanstul for another two weeks. Jack thought a side-by-side comparison with a real Martin was worth the extra time and let me hang onto the Handcraft until my next trip to LA at the end of the month.

So, look here for various updates, as I get to know this venerable sage of our industry. I'm SO excited!

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
The Real Deal

UPS arrived, just an hour or so ago, bringing a true, all original, unrestored Martin Committee Deluxe made somewhere between 1954 - 1957. Thank you Winghorn for heeding the call and for your unending generosity to allow me to sample your treasure.

I still have the Kanstul for another two weeks. Jack thought a side-by-side comparison with a real Martin was worth the extra time and let me hang onto the Handcraft until my next trip to LA at the end of the month.

So, look here for various updates, as I get to know this venerable sage of our industry. I'm SO excited!

How about a few photos of that Martin.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
The Real Deal

How about a few photos of that Martin.

Oh, yes, there will be photos. And video!

chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimkr wrote:
I think the 1603 works best when played efficiently, especially with a medium-size, medium-depth mouthpiece (3C or smaller diameter). The extra depth of my 3B makes gives it more projection and power when played aggressively, at the cost of less brightness and reduced flexibility in tone color (i.e. it's still easy to play quietly, but harder to reach that Chet Baker style smoky, airy whisper unless you're used to the deeper cup and the more open feel of the backbore).

I kinda like the Gustat 2, its shallow V cup, thin rim and strong bite make it easier to exploit the endless possibilities of the Committee feel, including the open, flexible high register which rises like a flame. You can do all the fun stuff you can do with a medium-bore flugel, in a trumpet - so much fun!

I think it's only good as a solo mouthpiece, though - the 1603 doesn't blend very well even with a "legit" mouthpiece and the V cup makes things much, much worse.

something to be said for playing a trumpet mouthpiece with average characteristics. as long as no aspect of the piece is extreme you can take the trumpet anywhere you would like to go.
dimkr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about 2.5 weeks since I got the horn and the first valve button is stained:

Also, I switched to Botti grip. (That's the way I used to play until I switched to a horn with a non-adjustable ring, but now I find it very inconvenient with my small hands, because of the finger ring position and length. I have absolute pitch and find it easy to play the low D and C# perfectly in tune without using the slide with pretty much any pro horn, so it's fine.)

More photos here.

Kanstul 1603
Carol Brass 3200H
Bach 3B or Yamaha 17B4

"When you decide to be something, you can be it" (Frank Costello, in The Departed, 2006)
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimkr wrote:
It's been about 2.5 weeks since I got the horn and the first valve button is stained:

Hi dimkr

That is a nuisance. You mention on your post when you first got your trumpet that there is no mother of pearl in your horn's buttons. The one that Brian photographed does however have mother of pearl. Did you particularly request to have no mother of pearl, or is there some variation because the 1603 is in its early stage of production?

I ask because I am wondering whether the potential for staining is the reason for the common use of mother of pearl.

Whatever, have you contacted Kanstul about this?

Also, I switched to Botti grip. (That's the way I used to play until I switched to a horn with a non-adjustable ring, but now I find it very inconvenient with my small hands, because of the finger ring position and length.

If you don't mind me asking, I am a little confused what you are saying and would like to understand the point which you are making. I also have small hands, tiny in fact, around the size of a 10 year old girl. I have looked at your additional photos and I see how you are holding the horn. One of my trumpets doesn't have any type of finger ring, and I just hold it the same as I hold trumpets with a finger ring, just without my third finger in a finger ring (i.e. like you show but without my little finger under the 3rd slide). I hold my Xeno cornet the same way, as I can't reach the 3rd trigger at all. What I'm basically saying is that I rest the end portion of my 3rd finger in a fixed position ring if it is there, although my finger isn't through the ring enough to actually be able to use the 3rd slide (I have to take my hand off the valve block for this), but obviously don't if there is no ring, and also don't with cornets with a 3rd trigger which is too far away. An adjustable ring would be easier for me, if it could be adjusted to be closer to the valve block, as the fixed ones are usually too far away.

What I don't understand is why you switched from the grip you show to a grip with your third finger through the ring, only when you switched to a horn with a non-adjustable ring. Is this because you were then unable to remove the ring? What I suppose I really don't understand, is that if you can reach a non-adjustable ring, why can't you reach an adjustable one even with small hands, especially since an adjustable one can presumably be adjusted to be further towards the valve block? I fully understand that it is to do with the finger ring position and length on the 1603, and that you possibly cannot adjust the ring far enough towards the valve block, but what please was the issue with your previous trumpets with an adjustable ring? Surely adjustable rings can be moved closer to the valve block as well as further away?

I'm very sorry to pry, it just sounds a bit backwards to me that you would adjust to a different grip every time you play a trumpet with an adjustable ring.

Take Care

Lou

I have absolute pitch and find it easy to play the low D and C# perfectly in tune without using the slide with pretty much any pro horn, so it's fine.)

More photos here.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
dimkr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Did you particularly request to have no mother of pearl, or is there some variation because the 1603 is in its early stage of production?

Nope, just asked them to make the horn as pictured in the leaked photos, but didn't expect this button style. I really like the pearl-less buttons, they're more comfortable for me and I think they look great.

Louise Finch wrote:

No, because it doesn't annoy me much, like future lacquer wear.

Louise Finch wrote:
I am a little confused what you are saying

I removed the ring, after trying various positions and the plastic stop.

Louise Finch wrote:
would like to understand the point which you are making

You can do just fine without the tuning slide, because bending is so easy. If you have small hands and have to stretch your finger to reach the ring, you don't have to suffer to play in tune.

Louise Finch wrote:
What I don't understand is why you switched from the grip you show to a grip with your third finger through the ring, only when you switched to a horn with a non-adjustable ring.

The non-adjustable rings on my previous horns were close enough and there was little room for the third finger between the ring and the valve block, so using them was way more comfortable. In addition, all of them had a stop screw, so you had to hold the slide to prevent it from moving while you play or move the horn (in contrary to the slide of a Strad, where you have the trigger assembly that adds some friction and prevents the slide from extending).

Louise Finch wrote:
I'm very sorry to pry, it just sounds a bit backwards to me that you would adjust to a different grip every time you play a trumpet with an adjustable ring.

It's been about 10 years since the last time I changed my grip, so it's a minor issue. Wish I could buy the 1603 with a matching pair of hands

Kanstul 1603
Carol Brass 3200H
Bach 3B or Yamaha 17B4

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimkr wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Did you particularly request to have no mother of pearl, or is there some variation because the 1603 is in its early stage of production?

Nope, just asked them to make the horn as pictured in the leaked photos, but didn't expect this button style. I really like the pearl-less buttons, they're more comfortable for me and I think they look great.

Hi dimkr

Thank you very much for your clarifications. I also think the pearl-less buttons look great.

Louise Finch wrote:

No, because it doesn't annoy me much, like future lacquer wear.

Fair enough. I'm very sorry, but I thought that you were upset about this, hence you mentioning it.

Louise Finch wrote:
I am a little confused what you are saying

I removed the ring, after trying various positions and the plastic stop.

I understand, thanks.

Louise Finch wrote:
would like to understand the point which you are making

You can do just fine without the tuning slide, because bending is so easy. If you have small hands and have to stretch your finger to reach the ring, you don't have to suffer to play in tune.

That's sounds good.

Louise Finch wrote:
What I don't understand is why you switched from the grip you show to a grip with your third finger through the ring, only when you switched to a horn with a non-adjustable ring.

The non-adjustable rings on my previous horns were close enough and there was little room for the third finger between the ring and the valve block, so using them was way more comfortable. In addition, all of them had a stop screw, so you had to hold the slide to prevent it from moving while you play or move the horn (in contrary to the slide of a Strad, where you have the trigger assembly that adds some friction and prevents the slide from extending).

I understand, thanks. Thank you very much for the clarification.

Louise Finch wrote:

It's been about 10 years since the last time I changed my grip, so it's a minor issue. Wish I could buy the 1603 with a matching pair of hands

I'm very glad that it is not a problem.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, neither of the horns I have had for this thread have had MoP finger buttons. They are nickel plated brass. The horn that "dimkr" has looks and sounds (in the way it is described in his posts) like it may be the very horn I played for the original article.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Guys, neither of the horns I have had for this thread have had MoP finger buttons. They are nickel plated brass. The horn that "dimkr" has looks and sounds (in the way it is described in his posts) like it may be the very horn I played for the original article.

Hi Brian

Thank you very much for the clarification. Presumably it is a trick of the light, but I thought that I saw mother of pearl finger buttons in the this picture:

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/Faja_47/media/P9268527.jpg.html

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
dimkr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
The horn that "dimkr" has looks and sounds (in the way it is described in his posts) like it may be the very horn I played for the original article.

I doubt this, becuase it has the new bell engraving and because of the way things are soldered.

Kanstul 1603
Carol Brass 3200H
Bach 3B or Yamaha 17B4

Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: 1603 Reply with quote

Has anyone had playing experience with the 1603 and the Schilke Handcraft, by chance?

Even though they're both extra-large bore horns, much of the feedback with the Schilke is how easy and efficient the horn plays.

Brent
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1603 Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Has anyone had playing experience with the 1603 and the Schilke Handcraft, by chance?

Even though they're both extra-large bore horns, much of the feedback with the Schilke is how easy and efficient the horn plays.

Brent

I've played them both, but not together. It's possible that I might be able to get the chance this coming week, so I'll see.

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1603 Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Brent wrote:

Brent

I've played them both, but not together. It's possible that I might be able to get the chance this coming week, so I'll see.

I took some time today and played the Schilke alongside the Martin and Kanstul. I'm going to post an account of that on the Horns For Comparison thread in a day to two.

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are photos I took today of the Kanstul Handcraft and the Martin Committee Deluxe that Winghorn sent to me. You can see the similarities and differences. I have some deeper tech-type observations, if anyone wants me to post them. From what I can tell, and you can't see this in any of my photos, the Martin's nickel inner slide tubes make up the only difference in sound and response between these two trumpets. I have rarely, if ever, played two horns that are so identical in sound and response. They aren't exact in everything. The nickel (I'm guessing it's the nickel based on past experience with brass and nickel parts) gives the Martin the smallest bit of harshness in the sound and stiffness in its response.

The Kanstul uses yellow brass for all its inner slide tubing, which gives the Handcraft a more smooth timber and response. The way the sound of each horn interacts with various rooms is not predictable. Sometimes the Martin seems to command the room in a broad way, other times it seems to project in a more focused way compared to the Kanstul. But, all the time, I am aware that these horns, even though they have been manufactured by two different factories 60 years apart, play as close to identically as any two can get.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: