• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

All MP's sound the same to me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koryblu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: All MP's sound the same to me Reply with quote

Why do all mouthpieces that I try seem to sound the same. I have tried Curry, Parke, GR etc....
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think all mouthpieces sound the same, you certainly haven't tried an El Gato mouthpiece back to back with a curry 1HTF.
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your good fortune. You will save a pile of time and money by concentrating on practicing and playing and skipping the mouthpiece safari
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer you play one, the more you sound like yourself. However, they can be useful tools. "You can't pound nails with a banana." Bobby Shew
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a suggestion posting complaints in the marketplace about people's interactions with you probably isn't going to inspire confidence in you as a seller.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
As a suggestion posting complaints in the marketplace about people's interactions with you probably isn't going to inspire confidence in you as a seller.

Exactly.

5 hit and run, USELESS and utterly POINTLESS posts just to hock some gear. Really inspires confidence. Not so much as a hello or anything.

Tina, will you combine shipping? ;;;;

In all seriousness, if you attempted to add to the community, or engage, people will take you seriously. You shilled 5 posts and hocked your unwanted gear. That's how it is, that's how it looks, and gurning about it on the marketplace looks pretty poor.

Here's the run-down of your posts and topics. 5 posts, 5 new topics in the space of 23 minutes; shortly thereafter LO AND BEHOLD gear for sale.

Post & topic 1:

What's the best C trumpet Mouthpiece?

Post & topic 2:

Why do all mouthpieces that I try seem to sound the same. I have tried Curry, Parke, GR etc....

Post & topic 3:

I believe Trent's are the best. Any comments???

Post & topic 4:

Any thoughts on this MP's for C Trumpet????

Post & topic 5:

Someone told me this. What do you think????

5 shallow posts, and rather than engage with any responses negative or otherwise, you complain on the marketplace? That again shows you have no interest other than to post here and save on ebay fees. Fair play.

Quote:
I am a good person trumpet player just like you "guys" I may be a woman but I still deserve respect. You do not know me....

You don't get respect because your posts don't deserve it. Your gender is irrelevant.

Best regards, and good luck hocking your used gear,

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: ed Reply with quote

Ed..love that!
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can pound nails in with a banana.
LINK
R.T.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of feeding a troll, when the OP's question comes up in a, well, more considered context, I do wonder if there is that much difference out front. Does it boil down to personal preference and comfort? Or is there really a difference?

For example, a few years ago when I was playing tuba in a community band, I was considering two or three different mouthpieces. The band included some well respected area teachers who also played low brass. I asked them if they perceived anything better or worse out front. Their trained ears of decades of experience each said they really couldn't tell any difference out front. That was surprising to me, as, well at least I thought, I could tell a difference in tone between the mouthpieces.

By contrast, as I was getting back on the trumpet comeback trail a couple of years ago, a friend of mine who used to teach beginning band, including the fitting of instruments, helped me make sure I had not acquired any bad habits, reaffirmed my fundamentals, and listened to a few different mouthpieces. On trumpet, according to him, it made a difference out front and we were able to cull out several alternatives due to inconsistencies of tone or intonation. But to my ears, since we all experience direct jaw vibration and not just aural feedback, I could not tell as much difference as he could.

So there are two anecdotes with completely opposite perceptions and results. Go figure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: