• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breaking notes constantly (heeeeeeelp)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
Lionel wrote:

A. Lack of air support problem. The fix in younger players involves them deciding to play more aggressively. Pushing more air through the hirn.

HIRN (from GeHIRN) is the GERMAN word for BRAIN

Ultimately ending up in an inflated Ego!
But for the OP: go see a teacher!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most efficiently designed car will run off the road if the driver is blindfolded. The most efficient trumpet player will easily miss if they can't hear the tune internally. Sing everything in tune. If you can't consistently sing it in tune and accurately, your chances for missing go way up.

If you miss something, check to see if you're driving blindfolded. Can you sing it in tune and accurately? You don't have to be a great singer to sing in tune.

If you don't sing during your practice, start.

If you already sing, sing at least twice as much.

If you sing twice as much, sing three times as much...

Sing more.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trolarg, you sound pretty darn good. I have made that sound you demonstrated every now and then (though much less after I switched from a 10 1/2C to a 3C mp ). Keep on practicing and concentrate on a solid air flow, because that sound, for me, often occurred when I was almost out of breath.

And, though many wouldn't want to admit it, it is not all that uncommon with even experienced players. I heard a pretty good player ( 30 years blowing the horn ) make that sound just a few nights ago. Don't sweat it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trolarg wrote:
Andy Del wrote:
It's spyeah, or whatever you want to call it. Nice playing and one split / spyeah. I would not be stressed about it.

Spend more time practicing to sound good and focus on that. The less time worrying about not sounding good, the better, as if you focus on the negatives you can gravitate to your worries and that becomes your way of playing...

A subtle, but significant difference in approach can pay big dividends!

cheers

Andy

Thanks, i just feel like i never hear professionals get those spyeahs, so its kinda frustrating when it happens, it happens alot when i practice in ensembles, because i sometimes have to play lead when the actual lead isnt there and i get nervous and split the notes, especially if theres a solo

Generally, for a high school player, I'd say you're doing fine, so don't beat yourself up about it. Actually, outside of rare cases (such as where your ego has gotten completely out of sync with reality), don't beat yourself up ever - it won't help anything, and it will waste energy doing yourself harm.

Most of the pros I know (I guess that includes me, too) approach these things from a slightly different perspective than what your comments here reflect - a single spleeah isn't really a big deal, and they probably wouldn't focus on a single instance. I think most accomplished players are more big picture, or process-oriented, so they focus their attention on correcting the process that led to the problem, not the problem itself.

At least based on how it sounds on my computer speakers (could be wrong!), you overshot (playing above the centre of) many of those notes, and the spleeah is just the most dramatic example of that. It happened to some extent on many of those notes, though. It could be caused by lots of things - tension, overblowing, fatigue, not anticipating pitch, etc., so the ball is in your court for figuring out why (ideally with the help of a teacher), and then how to fix it.

The big goal should be playing down the middle of all the notes, where you get the best sound and accuracy for the least physical work, which will improve everything, including spleeahs, rather than overemphasizing a momentary lapse.
TrumpetJoel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trolarg, some great advice already in this thread, particularly the bits about singing, hearing the note in your head, making sure your air is ready to go, and lip bending. I wouldn't mess around with your setup or chops unless directed to by a teacher that knows your playing well. You sound really good, I mean it.

I play trumpet for a living, and this mistake happens to me every single day of my entire life, no exaggeration. When it happens, it's frustrating, but refer to the already-posted Phil Smith comment for your guidance on how to overcome the frustration. Luckily, regarding the mistake itself, it's nearly always a result of a lack of mental focus. Sometimes it's not enough air, sometimes not hearing it well enough, sometimes using to much chops (AKA not enough air). Point is, it's always fixable, or at least possible to minimize.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trolarg,

Steve A brings up a really good point that needs to be repeated:

Quote:
...you overshot (playing above the centre of) many of those notes, and the spleeah is just the most dramatic example of that.

A number of years ago I had a Lesson with Mark Inouye at Davies Symphony Hall. The link will give you an overview of my lesson and then if you scroll down a number of posts I go into more depth in the troubleshooting that Mark did with me to resolve a minor cracked note. Mark said:

Quote:
“When you miss a note, the note you miss is never the problem. It’s the note just before (typically off centered)!”

If you look at how Mark had me approach practicing to clean this up, you will find a very systematic approach to practice, that will help you iron out spleahs in your playing. Singing is great! Do lots of that to get the sound of the line ringing strongly in your mind. Then be aware that playing above the center of the note will make you more susceptible to spleahs. If you can identify a line where you consistently miss a note, look at the note before the note you missed (and maybe several before that). It is VERY probable that you have started to float above the center of the note (where the most resonance is found), and hearing the change in sound quality will be a sign that your next note may be even farther above the pitch center, and will be the one that breaks.

I hope Mark’s comments will be helpful to you. The awareness of this concept has made a big difference in my playing, and allows me to target problematic lines when I practice in a very thorough, systematic way.

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
trolarg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im really glad i got all these comments, my teacher although great, just says that i should keep practicing and not to worry about it but im such a perfectionist at playing that i get annoyed if something is a little bit off, ill definetly try singing the notes first
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Slow dow.

Slow down the phrase that you get the frack on. Really slow, not just a few clicks on the metronome. Half speed and more. Make half notes out of 16ths. And stay at that speed for days... or weeks. Give the muscles a chance to figure out what you want them to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: