• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silver Satin mouthpiece finish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixieplayer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Silver Satin mouthpiece finish Reply with quote

Hey All

Does anyone have experience using a mouthpiece with a silver satin finish?
I have a couple of questions:
1: How did the finish hold up? (did some of the satin "smooth over" due to handling)
2: Did any insert rings get more pronounced due to the "rough" satin hanging on to dirt/tarnish?
3: Any issues cleaning/polishing the outside of the piece? Did it tarnish faster than smooth silver? Did it require more upkeep (polishing) to look good? Did it get smooth because of more polishing requirement?

I'm toying with the idea of gold plating the cup and rim, and satin finishing the rest of the piece. Mouthpiece Express offers this service
(for a price).

I think the piece looks pretty good, but will the good looks hold up?

Thanks in advance for the responses
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver Satin mouthpiece finish Reply with quote

dixieplayer wrote:
Does anyone have experience using a mouthpiece with a silver satin finish?

I'm using one right now.

dixieplayer wrote:
1: How did the finish hold up? (did some of the satin "smooth over" due to handling)

So far, so good. Some of the satin did smooth over - at the insertion point. I imagine that eventually the entire portion of the shank that is inserted will smooth over. It is only noticeable when I change horns.

dixieplayer wrote:
2: Did any insert rings get more pronounced due to the "rough" satin hanging on to dirt/tarnish?

Nope. The insertion marks are more pronounced because the satin gets rubbed off by the mouthpiece receiver.

dixieplayer wrote:
3: Any issues cleaning/polishing the outside of the piece? Did it tarnish faster than smooth silver? Did it require more upkeep (polishing) to look good? Did it get smooth because of more polishing requirement?

I don't polish the outside - I use Washing Soda and Aluminum foil to remove tarnish. I do polish the inside - but that part isn't satin finish.

I did get it stuck in one horn - but that horn showed evidence of shipping damage at that end. It has never gotten stuck in any other horn - I am having the MP receiver inspected on that horn.

FWIW, my mouthpiece is an Austin Custom Brass, Modern Shank, Satin Silver - like this:

Hope That Helps,
Gary.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your satin finish is the same thing as "brushed", and it does "smooth over", you can carefully re-touch it back to satin with very light emery paper, same thing works with satin/brushed silver jewelry. I would be very careful not to overdo it though.
And if you use silver polish on the brushed sections, there's a good chance you'll change it back to bright polished silver...not what you probably want.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: