• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sciatica (Sciatic Nerve Condition)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Miller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Sciatica (Sciatic Nerve Condition) Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been brought up here before but years ago I injured my back which created an ongoing minor sciatic nerve issue (Sciatica). Since then it, fortunately, only flares up every few months or so but when it does… my goodness!...annoying, shooting/radiating pains go through my lower back and legs, etc. Luckily not during a gig… until now .

Thanks to a recent 20 hour round trip drive to Virginia Beach (plus sleeping on a hotel mattress) it recently kicked in on a gig and every time I traveled upstairs it was a trip to the torture room. I took stuff down (regretfully) but had to stay standing. I tried different stances (and breathing techniques) but even leaning over or back didn't help (ironically, for some reason, standing with all my weight on one leg did help some, lol).

I've done some internet research in the past on Sciatica issues and I just got a massage which helped but I was curious as to how many other fellow trumpet players have dealt with this issue during gigs... and if, besides meds (like muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, etc.), anyone uses a certain stretch before, during, and/or after a gig to help with the pain (?). Note: not looking for medical advice that one may be liable for - just throwing it out there to see if I’m relating to anyone else’s experiences. Thanks, Brothers. Dave.
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lie on your side, with your glutes pressed against a wall. Gently, roll onto your back so that your glutes stay against the wall, and your legs run up the wall. Relax until the small of your back begins to press into the floor. Try to keep your legs flush with the wall.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he's not a trumpet player, but Andre Agassi has issues with the sciatic nerve starting at the end of his career.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David,
Among the nerve compression causes, are discal and intestinal ones.
If so, correct hydratation will help avoiding the disc compressing the nerve, while paying attention to guts state, comfort, whole good health, will avoid the intestins compressing the nerve that slaloms between their folds.
And of course correct streching too.
Good luck
JazzFluegel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have same on one side. I take a naproxen or other similar pain relief pill 1 hour before gig & sit during always. If the rest of the section is standing, I use a bar stool.
NOW, Keith Allen Pintar
Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Cornet
Kanstul 1525 FL
1962 Conn 9A Artist Coprion
1948 Conn NY Symphony 12B Coprion
David Miller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies!
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have suffered from severe sciatica for about 18 months now. Beginning about 8 months ago, it became very painful to play, especially in the high register. I feel for you -- it is unbelievably distracting.

Sciatica can be caused by several things. This is what helped me:

- getting an MRI (turns out I have a herniated disc pressing on the nerve roots.. Have surgery scheduled). I wish my doctor had ordered the MRI a year ago, it would have prevented a lot of pain.

- physical therapy. Along with standard PT, the therapist watched me play the horn. I had be doing the classic 'Chest Up Shoulders Back' posture advocated by Claude and others, and she suggested I change to what she called the 'Piston Breath' -- I switched and it really helped, both with playing the horn and with pain while playing. I wish my teacher had taught me that 30 years ago! I will continue to play this way even after surgery. 'Doing the PT exercises and walking every day really helps.

- using a McKenzie Night Roll when I sleep.

Good luck!
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google John Sarno.

This is not a casual suggestion. He actually knows something. If you are facing a risky surgery, or a lifetime of drugs, you owe it to yourself to at least hear what he has to say.

The testimonials are truly amazing.

Jeff
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Miller wrote:
I've done some internet research in the past on Sciatica issues and I just got a massage which helped but I was curious as to how many other fellow trumpet players have dealt with this issue during gigs... and if, besides meds (like muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, etc.), anyone uses a certain stretch before, during, and/or after a gig to help with the pain (?).

Note: not looking for medical advice that one may be liable for - just throwing it out there to see if I’m relating to anyone else’s experiences. Thanks, Brothers. Dave.

Hi Dave. Sorry to hear about this. You raise a good question. And I think it can help to discuss our shared experiences in this area.

I'm going to focus my answer on your specific question, which is about what people do when chronic back pain flares up during a gig. And although I'm not giving you specific medical advice, my general advice is from my perspective as a physician.

The most common treatments for chronic back pain that flares up are nsaids, muscle relaxers, time (usually 48-72 hours), and heat.

In the middle of a gig, you don't have time to rest for 48-72 hours, so this option isn't practical. Also, in the middle of a gig, a muscle relaxer, which can cause drowsiness, may not be the best option. That leaves heat and nsaids.

Consider taking a heating pad to your gigs, especially if you're on the road, like in the situation you described.

In addition, talk to your doctor about the best nsaids to take. This way, you're prepared, if/when this happens in the future. Over-the-counter ibuprofen, for example is 200mg. For otherwise healthy people, your doctor might suggest you take 800mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
TheLip

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently dealing with the worse flare up of back pain I've ever had, due to disc compression (herniation) and arthritis. So far, the things that are helping the most are a series of stretches that my physical therapist has given me, and the use of simple aspirin taken about an hour beforehand (I'm very lucky that aspirin actually works for me). I also have a tall stool with a backrest that sits right at the lumbar region for support, to give myself a break from standing all the time.

The stretches I can do standing, so they're and easy helper between sets, and whenever I get the chance. Also, standing in the most "hips neutral" position you can, should help a bit, too.

I'd definitely recommend a consultation with a physical therapist, and I've had very good results with one that is specifically sports/martial arts related.
Schagerl H�rsdorf Heavy Gansch-horn (Bb)
Adams A2 (Bb Flugel)
------------------------------
Main Mpcs:
Jim New: James Manley Jazz 1 & Jazz 4
david_a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciatica is such a pain. Like the original post from David Miller, I was dealing with very similar issues, so unfortunately I stopped doing to the long traveling otherwise I would be in pain for days and the gigs would be difficult to get through.

Like others in this post, Naproxen is very low dosage and affordable option just make sure to try it a few hours ahead of time. Of course see your doctor(s). Doctors are going to prescribe muscle relaxers, but depending on you those pills can really affect you. Some will make you drowsy, so best to stay away from those right before a gig. My old acupuncturist was all about good blood flow, so make sure you have enough fiber and antioxident's in your system. Also I know what worked best for me was seeing my chiropractor. He helped me figure out some good sleeping positions and different things to do when I feel my sciatica flaring up.

Also, depending what kind of gig or location you are make sure to stand, sit, lay and lean on something as often as possible. staying stationary is the worse.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did PT before surgery and have continued post surgery. The main exercise was push-ups with the stomach staying on the floor. Back arching. Push up slowly and stop just before discomfort (pain). Hold for 4-5 seconds and slowly go back down to flat. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Do 3 times a day.

It really works. I think the theory is to generate more blood flow in the lower spine.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had herniated discs that were the cause of the sciatica.
Chiropractor, ultrasound and massage therapy did not help.
The only treatment that worked was cortisone injections to dissolve the excess disc material.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I'm curious about your recommendation of a heating pad. I was advised by a doctor that inflammation was an ingredient of sciatica and heat might worsen the situation. He advised ice packs.

Alan
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperdean wrote:
Mike,

I'm curious about your recommendation of a heating pad. I was advised by a doctor that inflammation was an ingredient of sciatica and heat might worsen the situation. He advised ice packs.

Alan

Hi Alan. Great question.

For acute musculoskeletal injuries with swelling (like a sprained knee or a black eye), ice can help minimize swelling. As your doctor suggested, ice has an anti-inflammatory properties. (This is why some of us ice down our chops after a tough gig.)

For sciatica, you're right, that there is a component of inflammation, typically of one of the large nerves coming out of your spine. This is why NSAIDs and steroids (both anti-inflammatories) are the mainstay of treatment. However, for sciatica, heat is often recommended, because it keeps muscles from stiffening, minimizes muscle spasms, and calms down aggravated nerves.

To sum it up, "ice" is anti-inflammatory", "heat" is anti-spasm and provides pain relief. These are just general guidelines. I often suggest to patients that they can experiment, and do whichever appears to help the most.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: