• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buffet American Model Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drKmod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after multiple searches and several emails no information on this cornet. The mouthpiece has Buffet Crampon engraved on it. .470 bore with first and third trigger slides. The tuning slide pulls have inlaid valve cap material on them. The mpc receiver has W. Germany engraved on the side. The bell is beautifully engraved with Buffet American Model. It is a lacquered horn with silver accents. Does anyone have any knowledge about this horn?

Does anyone know of a Schaeffer Cornet? I have finally dug up that Buffet bought Schaeffer, a W Germany, brass instrument manufacturer. I can't find out what happened to Schaeffer...maybe it dissolved into Besson, B& H..

Thanks,
Don Huddleston

"Puff and magic happens"
1960 K Modified .458 Selmer Paris Trumpet
1950 Buffet Crampon American Model .470 Cornet

[ This Message was edited by: drKmod on 2003-12-26 07:45 ]
drKmod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took the horn to Martin Bellows, Edmond, OK repairman, and he did a wonderful job straightening the bell and a few small dings. He did some research and couldn't find much about the horn. This horn shouldn't have been this much of a secret.

Thanks,

"Puff and magic happens"
drKmod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is taken from A European Ebay instrument for sale:

Evette and Schaefer American serial number 681608. Buffet Crampon a Paris is stamped on the case.
Paul Evette and Ernest Schaeffer bought the Buffet Crampon firm in 1885 and patented their first saxophone on July 25, 1887. But I've never seen a cornet made by them.
This cornet is in very good condition. This cornet was made by Courtois--the oldest continuous manufacturer of brasswinds still extant--for Evette and Schaeffer. Courtois also made the Leblanc and the Vito trumpets/ cornets. (thank you Chuck)
Buyer pays all the shipping.

So, If I read this right it is a good possibility that Courtois made this instrument.

Don

"Puff and magic happens"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: