• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Elasticity routine in conjuction with the transition eraser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Elasticity routine in conjuction with the transition eraser Reply with quote

Can anybody give me directions in playing this routine? Below line 1, there are two transition erasers. Below line two, there are eight. On line two would I play the line, and do the first transition eraser, then play line 2 again, and play the second transition eraser etc.? There are no instructions on the sheet. Thanks.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Elasticity routine in conjuction with the transition era Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Can anybody give me directions in playing this routine? Below line 1, there are two transition erasers. Below line two, there are eight. On line two would I play the line, and do the first transition eraser, then play line 2 again, and play the second transition eraser etc.? There are no instructions on the sheet. Thanks.

If you have The Reinhardt Routines, it's on page 39. The glizzando is done completely with the lips, no valves are used whatsoever. Dave Sheetz talks about that in his "The Shake" on the preceding page (page 38 of The Reinhardt Routines).

If you'll notice the highest notes on each line of elasticity, then look at the transition erasers, the erasers take you up to the high note you just played in the elasticity part (with the exception of the second elasticity line).

The second elasticity line has the most transition erasers because it covers the range that was just covered in the elasticity portion and then prepares you to go up to the high note in the third elasticity line.

I will confess that I have only worked on this drill sporadically through the years, and when I have worked on it, the number of transition erasers seems excessive when you consider that he said to do them many times on one breath. I get tired pretty quickly if I'm not super careful.

An interesting personal anecdote on this topic: when Doc gave me this drill and had me do the first transition eraser (the quintuplet figure going from C up to F and back), I absolutely nailed it. (I was a big Frank Zappa fan, and quintuplets seemed quite natural to me.) Doc told me I was the first guy who ever nailed those at sight, and that may have been one of the few times that he ever laid effusive praise on me there in person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: