• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Monette B6 Reply with quote

I have the opportunity of buying a B6 for $120 aud. Is this a a good idea for someone who's been playing for less than six months, and who has large, fleshy lips? I've done some research and it sounds as if it won't hurt me in any way, but just thought I'd ask more experienced heads if any of them feel like responding.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Why not get a good teacher and put the cash into a couple of hours - maybe 90 minutes, or lessons?

Fleshy lips have only once - ever - made it necessary for a student of mine to search out a better mouthpiece. They needed a BIG mouthpiece (Schilke 22), and a 6 series Monette isn't that big at all.

And I play on Monette mpcs!

Andy
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Andy said.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn,

How about a little more information.
What mouthpiece are you now using?
Are you happy with the sound?
Are your lips being cut?
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B6 Reply with quote

The better model is the B6S1 in a Resonance Classic blank.

SMrtn wrote:
I have the opportunity of buying a B6 for $120 aud. Is this a a good idea for someone who's been playing for less than six months, and who has large, fleshy lips? I've done some research and it sounds as if it won't hurt me in any way, but just thought I'd ask more experienced heads if any of them feel like responding.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad choice.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette's, in most cases aren't a great choice for relative beginners.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, points well taken. Thanks for the responses. I'll continue with the piece I have for the moment. At some point down the track though, I'll look into a Yamaha 17c4 or something along those lines.

@Andy Del - I'm edging closer to resigning myself to skype lessons. I don't particularly like the idea - much rather do in person, but, no choice because of where I live. S'pose I should invest in a webcam.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
SMrtn,

Are your lips being cut?

Using an 11b4 right now. The sound is okay, would prefer a warmer/darker sound but, I can live with it for the moment. Lips are not being damaged, no discomfort. If I catch myself pressing with my left arm, I try to relax.

The more salient issue for me is the physical size of the piece. I'd rather be using one with a wider circumference. With the 11b4, I find that I have to keep adjusting due to my lips not fitting the piece properly. It's not a huge problem, but it just bugs me.
Robert Rizzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to get into the Monette's, the sooner the better. I have no idea what size (Inner Rim Diameter) you play but if you play:

17.00mm IRD, go for a Monette 2
16.50mm IRD, go for a Monette 6

Monette 3 and 4 might be worth a look at too...

The 6 is quite narrow, but yield's a rich, darkish round sound, with similar range advantages of a Bach 3C or 7C.

The sooner the better, because you don't want all that extra screwing around to effect acclimatisation. You play a Monette mouthpiece differently to anything else, and the sooner you start playing one the less likely you are to "program" yourself to play non-Monette. Sounds strange but I've been playing Monette mouthpieces for a while now.
Robert Rizzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, go for it. Just realized the 11B4 is 16.46, i.e. a touch smaller than a B6. A Classic Resonance B6S1 would be such a nice mouthpiece for you, but maybe a cheap 2nd hand one is the way to go for now. The sound is richer, fuller and more vibrant on a Monette. The part that most don't like about Monette's is the acclimation to constant pitch centre, and in turn an unsatisfactory sound and response, but I guarantee you once you live on a Monette mouthpiece, it will open up worlds for you. Unfortunately, many don't take the new path. Maybe your first instinct was the right one, then doubt and fear crept in? I noticed you quoted the Bach mouthpiece manual referring to thick lips.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Monette B6 Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

Hi SMrtn

I have no idea of Monette's sizing system, never having considered them, so have no idea of the cup diameter of the B6.

I am not very familiar with Monette mouthpiece but have a feeling that they require you to play a certain way. I'm sorry for my vague statement. The following explains what I mean. I apologise in advance for not having read it:

http://www.monette.net/single-post/2016/08/26/Monette-Mouthpiece-Acclimation-Guide-Repostjh

If you have been playing for only six months, I believe that you should stick with one mouthpiece with medium playing characteristics.

I'm not saying that Monette mouthpieces are not suitable for beginners and less experienced players full stop (I've never played one or seen one), rather questioning why a moderately new player is considering a switch to a Monette. If you feel that you are being offered a "good" mouthpiece for a "very good" price (I have no idea about the exchange rate for $AUD), at this stage of your development, I feel that your money would probably be better spent on lessons from a good teacher, if you are not already having them.

Best wishes

Lou

P.S. I started this post yesterday, and have only just finished it and posted it. I now have read the other posts posted since I last saw the thread.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
Okay, points well taken. Thanks for the responses. I'll continue with the piece I have for the moment. At some point down the track though, I'll look into a Yamaha 17c4 or something along those lines.

@Andy Del - I'm edging closer to resigning myself to skype lessons. I don't particularly like the idea - much rather do in person, but, no choice because of where I live. S'pose I should invest in a webcam.

It would help to know what you are playing right now. If you are a beginner, then just hang in with whatever you have, UNLESS there is a real issue.

Also, be warned that the Monette size descriptions do not help all that much. If I followed them, I would play on a 4 series. I know they feel terrible to me and give me a rather unpleasant sound. You MUST try out a mouthpiece, once you have made an educated guess. And be prepared to be very wrong in that guess.

And you are very right - even in a Skype lesson you can get a lot of direct help that will make things easier!

cheers

Andy
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3CW.
Bach 3B.

SMrtn wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:
SMrtn,

Are your lips being cut?

Using an 11b4 right now. The sound is okay, would prefer a warmer/darker sound but, I can live with it for the moment. Lips are not being damaged, no discomfort. If I catch myself pressing with my left arm, I try to relax.

The more salient issue for me is the physical size of the piece. I'd rather be using one with a wider circumference. With the 11b4, I find that I have to keep adjusting due to my lips not fitting the piece properly. It's not a huge problem, but it just bugs me.
JLoyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go out and find yourself a decent Bach or Yamaha piece that feels good on your chops.

Wait to drop some serious cash on something like a mouthpiece once you've been playing for a while and find that the trumpet is something you're serious about.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B6 Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

Generally a beginner, even a big lipped beginner, will do better on a mouthpiece in the mid range of sizes. A Bach 3C, Schilke 14, 15, etc. would be best at this stage.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading through these replies and giving it due consideration, I've given the B6 a miss. I've ordered a Bach 3cw instead. It feels like the right move at this point. As I mentioned earlier the 11b4 is too narrow in circumference and a move to a wider, but not radically different piece seems good right now.

Re lessons - Obviously a good idea. Closest is two hours drive so I figure once a fortnight/month, won't kill me.

Thanks again for the replies. This forum seems to have some real nice folks onboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: