• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Getzen Severinsen?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: New Getzen Severinsen? Reply with quote

I've been casually on the lookout for an older Getzen Severinsen 900 Eterna, as I've heard great things about them....though I've never played one. It just occurred to me though that maybe that same horn new might be a consideration, especially as they appear to sell for around 18-1900 (?).

Anyone know how the new Severinsens compare to those from, say, around 1970?

Brad
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played one of the older Getzen Severinsen Eterna's but did just play a new Getzen 900 Eterna Classic last week. I was really impressed. It was more versatile than I had expected, and a lot of fun to play.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main horn is a Getzen Severinson '72 vintage. A few years ago, Getzen reworked the production to the original specs reversing the few changes that had been made over the years. I have played the new models at music educator conventions and I think you'd be very happy with one. (Brett Getzen may chime in any time).

Mine had a precision valve alignment some years ago and it really made a great horn better.
bluejazz33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a large bore Severinsen in college, and I loved that horn so much !
PakWaan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brad. I have both horns - a brand new Eterna Classic and a 70's Severinsen. I have gone back and forth between them dozens of times trying to find a difference and am hard pressed to do so. Getzen has done a really great job with the new Eterna.

I'm getting ready to sell the vast majority of my collection, but am keeping the Eterna Classic. I thought I'd hang on to the Severinsen forever, but since I can't tell the difference between them, I've decided to keep the brand new horn with it's lifetime valve warranty.

You can't go wrong with either. (I've got a Severinsen for sale if you want one!)
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they make the new ones in LB and ML?

The vast majority of the old ones were ML, but people talk about the large bores as if they were REALLY something special.

Kind of like the Martin Committees. The large bores are much rarer and hard to get.

I wonder why both companies made so few large-bores?
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OCD part of me demands that I post first of all to point out that to apply the "Severinsen" label to the current 900S is incorrect. Getzen took "Severinsen" off the bell of the horn back in what, the late 80s or thereabouts?

I played a ML Severinsen from the mid-70s till mid-80s, at which point I set the trumpet down and didn't pick one up until 2014. Since then I've played a recent 700 Eterna II and a 900S. My memory of my Severinsen is dimmed with the years, but from what I can recall I'd say a current 900S is an overall better, more versatile horn. The Severinsen was meant to be more of a lead horn I believe. If that's what you want, then by all means get one. The 700 I played also compared pretty well to the old Severinsen. Just my opinion. They're all good horns.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a LB "Severinsen" model about 25 years ago and used it for pretty much everything. It was a good lead horn, but it was also quite versatile. I currently own a ML "Severinsen", pre Amado water keys, and a LB Eterna, post "Severinsen" label on the bell. Although they play differently for obvious reasons, it is pretty apparent that they have the same blood line. Keep in mind that, as I understand it, they only difference between the ML and LB is in the leadpipe and tuning slide. The rest of the horn is the same.

Last edited by adagiotrumpet on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can use a bright horn with tons of projection, the 70's Severinsen model is the way to go! It's a screamer! However, after playing both my Getzen Severinsen and my Severinsen Destino 3* back-to-back for many years, I would say that there are better choices for an all-around player than the 70's Severinsen model. Occassionally you will find a Severinsen 5* or a 3* for sale here on TH. I would seriously consider a Kanstul made Destino if I was in the market for an all-arounder. If I was playing jazz or pop or maybe even action adventure movie scores, the Getzen Severinsen model would be my hands-down 1st choice.

I posted a fairly comprehensive review comparison of the 70's Severinsen model and the Kanstul made Destino 3* if you care to read it, use the search feature.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Getzen Severinsen? Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I've been casually on the lookout for an older Getzen Severinsen 900 Eterna, as I've heard great things about them....though I've never played one. It just occurred to me though that maybe that same horn new might be a consideration, especially as they appear to sell for around 18-1900 (?).

Brad

You probably know this already, but just in case: The earlier 70's Severinsen models came with 2 tuning slides -- one larger bore than the other. The larger one provides a slightly fatter sound than the smaller one. Nice option to have depending on the desired resulting sound. They discontinued the two slide thing after around 1974ish I believe.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Getzen Severinsen? Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

You probably know this already, but just in case: The earlier 70's Severinsen models came with 2 tuning slides -- one larger bore than the other. The larger one provides a slightly fatter sound than the smaller one. Nice option to have depending on the desired resulting sound. They discontinued the two slide thing after around 1974ish I believe.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone for the all info, this has been really helpful!

Brad
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have got some things wrong here.....

It was around 1979 that they took Doc's name off the bell around (SK39000)

In fact I had one of the very last "true" LB's, and I bought it in the summer of 79'.

I was very close with the plant manager over there in those days as well as Charlie.

A few words about the LB's....

They played GREAT (that is the model Brisbois played) The problem they company was having with the LBs was that they were losing too many valve sections during the buffing process. The LB was a true .468 in the valve section but the leadpipe was the same as the ML, also, the bell was the same as the ML except that they ran a small "ball' through the bell tail to make it ,468.

I used to be a total freak with those old Getzens, back in the early 1990's you could find them everywhere. Every pawn shop had at least 3 or 4 hanging around.

I counted once and at one time I had owned over 25 of the MLs and 5 of the LBs.

After they took Docs name off the horn changes followed. They went to a solid nickle leadpipe and the LB went from a true .468 to a .464 so they wouldn't always be buffing through those thin knuckles on the old 468s.

Wheres my friend Tony Scodwell when I need him???

Take Care everybody.

Chris LaBarbera
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood wrote:
You guys have got some things wrong here.....

It was around 1979 that they took Doc's name off the bell around (SK39000)

In fact I had one of the very last "true" LB's, and I bought it in the summer of 79'.

I was very close with the plant manager over there in those days as well as Charlie.

A few words about the LB's....

They played GREAT (that is the model Brisbois played) The problem they company was having with the LBs was that they were losing too many valve sections during the buffing process. The LB was a true .468 in the valve section but the leadpipe was the same as the ML, also, the bell was the same as the ML except that they ran a small "ball' through the bell tail to make it ,468.

I used to be a total freak with those old Getzens, back in the early 1990's you could find them everywhere. Every pawn shop had at least 3 or 4 hanging around.

I counted once and at one time I had owned over 25 of the MLs and 5 of the LBs.

After they took Docs name off the horn changes followed. They went to a solid nickle leadpipe and the LB went from a true .468 to a .464 so they wouldn't always be buffing through those thin knuckles on the old 468s.

Wheres my friend Tony Scodwell when I need him???

Take Care everybody.

Chris LaBarbera

Well, I just checked my Eterna LB. "Severinsen Model" is not stamped on the bell. It is marked with an "L" and a "B" on the second valve casing. The serial no. is SK397xx. The horn is lacquered. The lead pipe is solid brass. In fact the only nickel parts on the horn are the top and bottom valve caps, the valve stems, the metal portion of the finger buttons, and the first valve slide trigger assembly. The second valve slide measures between .458 and .459 ID. Even the tuning slide measures .459 top and bottom. Yet the horn plays considerably more open that my serial no. 12xxx "Severinsen Model" ML.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a large bore Severinsen from Trent Austin, looks to be around a 1975 vintage. It's not a "time capsule" example, but appears very solid, no major trauma, just some surface finish wear, few minor scratches, etc. I've only played it a little so far (and am using it on tonight's gig), but on first impression it seems to have a GREAT lead type sound.

Looks promising!

Brad
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Just got a large bore Severinsen from Trent Austin, looks to be around a 1975 vintage. It's not a "time capsule" example, but appears very solid, no major trauma, just some surface finish wear, few minor scratches, etc. I've only played it a little so far (and am using it on tonight's gig), but on first impression it seems to have a GREAT lead type sound.

Looks promising!

Brad

Hey, me too! I got mine a couple of weeks ago on eBay. It's a 69/70 era LB. Got it for $610. Not pristine by any measure, but with valves that move like glass and an easy bright lead sound with volume limited only by what I can put into it--a blowtorch sound as big as a house.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Getzen Severinsen? Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I they appear to sell for around 18-1900 (?).

Which - the new ones or the Severinsen model? I think you could get even a pristine Severinsen for less than that. Not pristine examples go for a lot less all the time - look at completed listings on ebay.

Quote:

Brad

Haven't played a new one but my understanding is they're supposed to be essentially identical.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I'm dying to hear how the horn worked on the gig.

I bought a new one in 2013 from M&A, scored on a dual Black Friday Sale/coupon thing, and walked away with it for $1300 (including a couple mutes).

It's only my second horn. My folks bought me a 1969 Mercedes that I played through high school and it was a dog. The 900 feels like I have been poured into the cockpit of a jet fighter.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Brad, I'm dying to hear how the horn worked on the gig.

I bought a new one in 2013 from M&A, scored on a dual Black Friday Sale/coupon thing, and walked away with it for $1300 (including a couple mutes).

It's only my second horn. My folks bought me a 1969 Mercedes that I played through high school and it was a dog. The 900 feels like I have been poured into the cockpit of a jet fighter.

I thought it worked out great. The horn projects very well without being overly bright or shrill, intonation is quite good, slotting in my opinion is just about right; not too rigid, but not so loose that I end up fracking all over the place ( well, no more than usual anyway 😉). Mechanically, for a horn built in the early to mid-70s, the one I have is in pretty darn good condition. As I mentioned, it's not "time capsule", there are scratches, plating wear and minor dings, but it's solid. Like most of us, I've been aware of the Getzen Severinsen horns for years, this one is actually the first that I've ever played. I read somewhere on the forum that someone at Getzen once mentioned that the only problem with this horn was that they were priced too low, I tend to agree.
It's not a replacement for my Wild Thing or Benge, just a nice addition.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Looks promising!

Brad

Hey, me too! I got mine a couple of weeks ago on eBay. It's a 69/70 era LB. Got it for $610. Not pristine by any measure, but with valves that move like glass and an easy bright lead sound with volume limited only by what I can put into it--a blowtorch sound as big as a house.

Same here!

Brad
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: LB Getzens Reply with quote

The LB Getzens came about by way of utilizing a thinner wall tubing giving the I.D. of .468. When the company was supplying two tuning slides on the standard model one was .458 and the other was .460. Doc was always certain that a horn needed to be .459 and even when he was having the first generation Destinos made by Franzie Straub in Germany, he was under the impression they were .459 when in fact the Bauerfeind valves and all the tubing was .460. What you don't know syndrome I guess. The next Destinos with Getzen were .459 I believe but not at all to his liking leading to the 3* and 5* Kanstul/Buffet-Crampon venture, a Besson type and a Bach type horn. I believe those were also .460. He got upset with Kanstul and Buffet-Crampon with those as well and was introduced to Steve Shires who wanted to break into the trumpet biz after his very successful trombone project. They built what he wanted at .459 and after a few "bumps" with finances he's still with the fourth generation Destino Shires is making.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: