• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

recording myself at home.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flueskum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: recording myself at home. Reply with quote

dear fellow trumpeters.

I want to start recording myself at home with something else than my phone.

I have a macbook pro and Imac, i was wondering if there is someone here who is recoding themselves with those kind of computers and how they set them up or what application you use. Do you guys buy a separate microphone ?

Any advice appreciated.

Flueskum
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper is a free full functioning DAW. You can elect to pay for a license if you like the product enough or decide to use it for commercial gain. It isn't like most Apple things where it is all laid out for you and all you have to do is click the smiley faces - you have to actually learn how to do things, but it is good. It is currently one of my preferred DAWs. I also own Protools HD and Logic X.

The built in mic is garbage. At least buy any USB mic. Anything will be better than the built in mic.

Rode make affordable mics which perform fine for your uses. Placement, room and quality of playing will be more important than the mics at the first steps.

Re: placement

You can read about this on your own time. Off-axis is key. Distance and how much is down to the room and experimentation.

Here's some recordings I made of my playing in a reasonably un-ideal room, using Reaper and some mics and pre-amps I built:

Link

Link

Link

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: recording myself at home. Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:
dear fellow trumpeters.

I have a macbook pro and Imac, i was wondering if there is someone here who is recoding themselves with those kind of computers and how they set them up or what application you use. Do you guys buy a separate microphone ?

Any advice appreciated.

Flueskum

I use a MacBook Air, a Presonus USB interface, two MXL brand condenser mics, and Audacity.

Works great.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: recording myself at home. Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:

I have a Tascam Porta-Studio. It doesn't suck - I use it to record rehearsals so I can find out how much I suck.
http://tascam.com/product/dp-006/

My 'at home' set-up is the same as Richard's - only different:
Focusrite instead of PreSonus: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2
Cheap microphones: http://mrsoundpro.com/mlx-990-991-recording-pack
Free Software: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/
And I use a MacMini instead of an AirBook...

And for when I'm too lazy to run the cables (or want to record a lesson): http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2N/

$.02,
Gary.
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Jazzadvice.com they recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CQ2ZY6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005CQ2ZY6&linkCode=as2&tag=jazzadvicecom-20&linkId=IDB7HP2M7RWLZ7ES
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an iMac and Logic Pro X with a MOTU UltraLite mk3 audio interface that does both Firewire and USB. And, a couple different mics.

The biggest thing to avoid is getting bogged-down with learning to use the software. Pick something that you can understand and use easily unless you plan to do more serious stuff. For simple stuff I will use my iPhone with GarageBand and Zoom iQ7 mic that mounts on an iPhone or iPad. I bought that mic just to play with a MidSide mic. But, you can switch the patterns on it between 90 degrees, 120 degrees, and MidSide. I have used that mic along with the camera in the iPhone to shoot some decent videos with realistic sound.

Have fun! But, don't let all the tech stuff side track you from the trumpet. That is my personal weakness
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Here's some recordings I made of my playing in a reasonably un-ideal room, using Reaper and some mics and pre-amps I built:

Link

Link

Link

Geez Michael, monster playing!!

Gordon Stump
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the simplest recordings, I use my smart phone.

When I want higher quality, I use a Zoom Q2HD, which has high-def video and audio.

When I want even higher quality, I use the Zoom Q2HD for video only, and the Zoom H1 for audio. The audio capability of the Q2HD and the H1 are the same. But by using separate devices for video and audio, I can have the optimal placement of both the video camera and the microphone.

For audio post-production, I use Audacity. For video post-production, I use QuickTime or Windows Movie Maker.

All of this is pretty low-budget and is also pretty easy to use. For more professional home-based options, I'm sure there are better ways to go.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great open source (free) recording software is Audacity, many, many features including multitrack, with loads of downloadable extras, including Mp3 export. Supports both mac and pc platforms. Get a good usb mic, or other usb interface and a good condensor mic and you'll be fine.

regards,

tom

this is me using audacity and a disney playalong, it was done quickly, but shows what you can do with the software, Excuse my misses, still trying to figure this all out, trumpet playing that is.

t
https://soundcloud.com/user-528478243/reflection-acc

Last edited by deleted_user_680e93b on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Zoom H2 and H4n for simple recordings of myself and students. One button, decent raw quality for the money. The Zoom packs in my Gard gig bag, too.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what you'll need depends on what purpose you want to fulfill. If you're just wanting to record practice sessions, you won't need a full-featured DAW and all kinds of expensive equipment. Sounds like you're just getting into it, so I'll chime in based on the idea that you can always expand from the most basic set-up.

If you already have Macs, Garage Band is the easiest app to use for this. From there, you can move into Logic Pro every easily if you really get caught up. Or Pro-Tools. Adobe Audition is another way to go, but they have a $25 (rounded up) monthly subscription. In 8 months, you will have paid as much for that as you would Logic or PT.

As far as getting your sound into your Mac, I use an Apogee MiC. They have a 96K version now. I like that one because it is compatible with BOTH the Mac and iOS devices (I use my phone when in the office). Other iOS pics are also made by Blue Microphones (Spark Digital). They're around $250 new, but could probably be had for a little less on Ebay. Better yet is the Blue Microphones Yeti (USB mic) and even more versatile (and better, I think) is the Yeti Pro, which does USB & XLR (although not at the same time).

The simplest set up is with something like the Apogee MiC and Garage band. You'll be up and running in minutes, and it's really easy to expand from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a microphone called a Snowball (and they make a higher end one called a Yeti) made by a company called Blue, that work with your computer and are probably pretty good for quality for someone who doesn't want to get super technical.
wastoute

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Room. The most empty, biggest room you have access to.

Olds Ambassador Trumpet and Cornet
Olds Super 1940s
Olds Mendez 1960s
Olds Clark Terry Trumpet
Bach Strad 180 ML
Courtois Paris flugel
Bach 5C mpc for everything
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gstump"]
bach_again wrote:

Geez Michael, monster playing!!

Gordon Stump

Thanks Gordon!! I still use your Power Legit Studies BTW!!

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to invest $40 to $90 into a decent stage-type microphone (SM48 is CHEAP, and won't get destroyed- ever. An SM58 is more expensive, but the sound quality is much better.), you can grt away with buying a mic, XLR-f to headphone-jack cable, and a SingStar USB audio adapter. Everything can be had from Amazon for perhaps under $50 altogether, depending on the mic you buy.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wastoute wrote:

...would be a terrible recording space.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet wrote:
wastoute wrote:

...would be a terrible recording space.

I think it depends. If you're playing something fast and harmonically or rhythmically complicated, a small room is better. If you're playing something slow and lyrical, a large space is better.
jahabasr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Recording Reply with quote

I use the ZOOM H5 Handy Recorder with removable XYH-5 stereo mic
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have already said, if you have Macs, use Garage Band - it's pretty easy to pick up, has some neat tools you can use, and you can produce some decent sounding stuff pretty easily while you continue to learn some of the basic ins and outs of reverb, compression, gating, EQ, etc ad nauseum. For everything I've learned about recording, there's about 3500 other things I still don't know.

As for a recording interface there are a couple of ways you can go. If you only want to be able to do one or two tracks, there are some budget level interfaces that are going to be pretty much plug and play - look at things from Focusrite, M-Audio, Presonus, etc. Do a Musician's Friend search for Audio Interface and start doing some reading - there's a ton of stuff there, and the Focusrite stuff all seems to be pretty popular now.

Then get a basic mic - a Shure SM57 runs about $100 and will be a great place to start for something you'll have for years and years, but you can get a Behringer XM8500 for $20, and it's basically an inexpensive SM58 clone that reviews very well. I have 3 of them, and have never been disappointed with them. Read the reviews - they review really really well for a mic that costs $20. Get a 3 pack. Even if you break one somewhere down the line, it's literally 1/5th of the cost of a 57 or 58.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: recording myself at home. Reply with quote

Sony PCMD100 Portable High Resolution Audio Recorder.

Flueskum wrote:
dear fellow trumpeters.

Any advice appreciated.

Flueskum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: