• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Newbie Says Hello, Waiting for my Horn to be delivered


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Newbie Says Hello, Waiting for my Horn to be delivered Reply with quote

Hi All.
Well first of all I tried to find the Newbie Group or Introduction group but is wasn't to be found so I have posted here hoping a Mod will put it in the correct place or me.. I live in the City of York in the United Kingdom and I am 63yrs old, I have not picked up a horn for 43 yrs..lol saying that, within them years I have always kept my lip in, I served in the British Army (Tank Regiment hence the username) as a Regimental Bugler and also to present I am lead Bugler in a Military/Regimental Band. have been a bugler here for the last 6 years. I use a 5c and a 3c mouthpiece. I decided I want to go back to horn so I can put a trumpet spot into the concerts that we do, so I decided to look for a new horn. I was dead set on getting a John Packer Bb JP215, so I looked around to see what was going, then I decided well maybe a Yamaha, so changed my mind once again, a nice new shiny Yamaha would be good, after changing my mind what felt like a hundred time for this new shiny horn, I have ended up buying a 1956 Boosey & Hawkes Emporer, with missing lacquer, no shine, but a fistful of character. and as for the year I bet the build quality is wonderful. I have never played the Emporer, I don't even know why I got the Emporer other than it was a good deal and something told me to buy it, and I though a Vintage Trumpet would have a wonderful tone, Well if anybody has Owned, Played or knows anything about the Emporer I would be much obliged for your feedback, it is due to be delivered tomorrow. Nice to meet you all, Happy New Year for 2017
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Evinerate
Regular Member


Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 12
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me that the Emperor was loosely based off the old Henri Selmer Paris trumpets. The Bell wrap is similar and the pinky hook is also similar. Tuning slide tube casing ends also have that thick straight brace. Some of the bracing also looks to be similar to the Selmers.

Looks to me from a visual perspective that the trumpet might also be an intermediate level horn, does the trumpet have High Pitch (HP) or Low Pitch (LP) marked on the valve block anywhere?

Also does yours have the 3rd slide throw ring screw?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: B&H Emperor Reply with quote

Evinerate wrote:
Looks to me that the Emperor was loosely based off the old Henri Selmer Paris trumpets. The Bell wrap is similar and the pinky hook is also similar. Tuning slide tube casing ends also have that thick straight brace. Some of the bracing also looks to be similar to the Selmers.

Looks to me from a visual perspective that the trumpet might also be an intermediate level horn, does the trumpet have High Pitch (HP) or Low Pitch (LP) marked on the valve block anywhere?

Also does yours have the 3rd slide throw ring screw?


Hi Evinerate.
I am sorry for the late reply, I am trying to work out how to put a pic on my horn on here for you to look at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: B&H Emperor Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Evinerate wrote:
Looks to me that the Emperor was loosely based off the old Henri Selmer Paris trumpets. The Bell wrap is similar and the pinky hook is also similar. Tuning slide tube casing ends also have that thick straight brace. Some of the bracing also looks to be similar to the Selmers.

Looks to me from a visual perspective that the trumpet might also be an intermediate level horn, does the trumpet have High Pitch (HP) or Low Pitch (LP) marked on the valve block anywhere?

Also does yours have the 3rd slide throw ring screw?


Hi Evinerate.
I am sorry for the late reply, I am trying to work out how to put a pic on my horn on here for you to look at.


Last edited by Tankie on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Evinerate
Regular Member


Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 12
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the pic, looks exactly like the examples online, except this one has a 3rd slide throw ring where the other ones don't have one. Looks to be in good shape, not too tarnished with some lacquer left. Overal, I think I've played some Boosey and Hawkes trumpets similar to this and they play decent, this is probably an intermediate to lower pro level trumpet. If everything is in good order, tuning slide clear, horn cleaned and valves good then it should a be a good trumpet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evinerate wrote:
Ok, thanks for the pic, looks exactly like the examples online, except this one has a 3rd slide throw ring where the other ones don't have one. Looks to be in good shape, not too tarnished with some lacquer left. Overal, I think I've played some Boosey and Hawkes trumpets similar to this and they play decent, this is probably an intermediate to lower pro level trumpet. If everything is in good order, tuning slide clear, horn cleaned and valves good then it should a be a good trumpet.


Evinerate.
Thank you, Its due to arrive tomorrow at 13:00, I don't know how its been looked after so I am going to give it a good strip down, clean through, see if I can hunt down some new springs and pads, clean the slides then see how she plays,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1055
Location: Twixt the Moor and the Sea, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Personally I'd never by an instrument that old. You were talked out of a JP by Brassbandmajor, who is a young man who was a newbie only a while ago. Posting lots of things about various types of instruments. So many in fact I blocked his posts. I think you would have been better getting the JP that would have come with no faults and lasted you a few years, until you decided to upgrade. Anyway, hope your new toy is everything you hope for. Now the fun begins.
_________________
"Nearly as good as I need to be. Not nearly as good as I want to be".

Flip Oakes Wild Thing
Kanstul 1525 Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1055
Location: Twixt the Moor and the Sea, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, might be an idea to delete the photo link. It allows access to all your pictures.
_________________
"Nearly as good as I need to be. Not nearly as good as I want to be".

Flip Oakes Wild Thing
Kanstul 1525 Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 3383
Location: Suffolk, England

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tankie

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Boosey and Hawkes Oxford trumpet from the 1950s. There are a lot of models ranging from student through to pro. I'm not sure whether the same names were used for all instruments. For example, as far as I am aware, the entry level cornet was the Regent and the top model the Imperial, with presumably other models in between, although most of the ones I have seen have been either a Regent or Imperial. I also believe the Regent to be the entry level clarinet. However, when I was at senior school in Essex, England between 1985 and 1990, Boosey and Hawkes instruments were pretty popular, with clarinet players seeming to have Regents and flute players, Emperors. I for quite some time had a Boosey and Hawkes Emperor flute in addition to my Yamaha. I always presumed that the Emperor flute was equivalent to the Regent clarinet, as I only saw Regent clarinets and Emperor flutes, but now I'm not so sure.

A quick search on google, found someone's opinion of the hierarchy of clarinet models as: Regent, Edgware, Emperor, Imperial, Symphony 1010

I've always believe my Oxford to be a couple of models up from the bottom, a higher student/lower intermediate model. After using mouthpiece sleeves to dial in the gap (vary the insertion amount of the mouthpiece), mine plays pretty well. It however has a rather odd fast bell taper (page 14 of the following link shows a diagram of bell tapers: http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/AV6004_trumpet_web.pdf ), which results in mutes inserting further into the bell, and a darker sound.

I would not recommend changing the springs and especially the internal valve felts, as unless the felts are the required thickness, you will alter the valve alignment. If when pressing the 2nd valve down with the 2nd slide removed, you can see all the valve port, I would leave it as it is for now.

Anyway, if your Emperor is like my Oxford and in full playable condition, it should be a decent enough trumpet.

I really hope that this will help.

Take Care

Lou
_________________
Trumpets:
Yamaha 8335 Xeno II
Bach Strad 180ML/37
B&H Oxford
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Differing Kanstul Custom 3Cs
- Denis Wick 4B underpart/my 3C rim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Good luck with it. Personally I'd never by an instrument that old. You were talked out of a JP by Brassbandmajor, who is a young man who was a newbie only a while ago. Posting lots of things about various types of instruments. So many in fact I blocked his posts. I think you would have been better getting the JP that would have come with no faults and lasted you a few years, until you decided to upgrade. Anyway, hope your new toy is everything you hope for. Now the fun begins.


Rapier.
Thank you for your post, I still aim to get a JP, so I will not be lagging behind, also Thank you for telling me about my photo link, I have now deleted the link. will let you know when I get my JP.
Cheers
Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Tankie

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Boosey and Hawkes Oxford trumpet from the 1950s. There are a lot of models ranging from student through to pro. I'm not sure whether the same names were used for all instruments. For example, as far as I am aware, the entry level cornet was the Regent and the top model the Imperial, with presumably other models in between, although most of the ones I have seen have been either a Regent or Imperial. I also believe the Regent to be the entry level clarinet. However, when I was at senior school in Essex, England between 1985 and 1990, Boosey and Hawkes instruments were pretty popular, with clarinet players seeming to have Regents and flute players, Emperors. I for quite some time had a Boosey and Hawkes Emperor flute in addition to my Yamaha. I always presumed that the Emperor flute was equivalent to the Regent clarinet, as I only saw Regent clarinets and Emperor flutes, but now I'm not so sure.

A quick search on google, found someone's opinion of the hierarchy of clarinet models as: Regent, Edgware, Emperor, Imperial, Symphony 1010

I've always believe my Oxford to be a couple of models up from the bottom, a higher student/lower intermediate model. After using mouthpiece sleeves to dial in the gap (vary the insertion amount of the mouthpiece), mine plays pretty well. It however has a rather odd fast bell taper (page 14 of the following link shows a diagram of bell tapers: http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/AV6004_trumpet_web.pdf ), which results in mutes inserting further into the bell, and a darker sound.

I would not recommend changing the springs and especially the internal valve felts, as unless the felts are the required thickness, you will alter the valve alignment. If when pressing the 2nd valve down with the 2nd slide removed, you can see all the valve port, I would leave it as it is for now.

Anyway, if your Emperor is like my Oxford and in full playable condition, it should be a decent enough trumpet.

I really hope that this will help.

Take Care

Lou


Hi Lou.
Thank you for your post, I had a Boosey many years ago, 1974 and it was a lovely trumpet, I have not had chance to strip the valves out to check them yet, I will be stripping my horn down later this evening and cleaning it through, I will check out the valves then, I don't know how well its been cared for in its life, so I will start from scratch. I also play Clarinet, I have 2 wooden Claries, I will not play Plastic. I have a Selmer 100 and a Selmer Special, both Ebony and I play on a 2.5 or a 3 Reed, I like the Vandoren Concerts. I once tried the waterproof reed, don't know if you have tried it, its covered I plastic, its horrible sounds like someone playing on a Paper and Comb, a horrible buzz, I threw it in the bin after half hour, went back to my Vandoren, lol, I will let you know about how it plays when I get my lips on it.
Take Care
Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 3383
Location: Suffolk, England

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Tankie

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Boosey and Hawkes Oxford trumpet from the 1950s. There are a lot of models ranging from student through to pro. I'm not sure whether the same names were used for all instruments. For example, as far as I am aware, the entry level cornet was the Regent and the top model the Imperial, with presumably other models in between, although most of the ones I have seen have been either a Regent or Imperial. I also believe the Regent to be the entry level clarinet. However, when I was at senior school in Essex, England between 1985 and 1990, Boosey and Hawkes instruments were pretty popular, with clarinet players seeming to have Regents and flute players, Emperors. I for quite some time had a Boosey and Hawkes Emperor flute in addition to my Yamaha. I always presumed that the Emperor flute was equivalent to the Regent clarinet, as I only saw Regent clarinets and Emperor flutes, but now I'm not so sure.

A quick search on google, found someone's opinion of the hierarchy of clarinet models as: Regent, Edgware, Emperor, Imperial, Symphony 1010

I've always believe my Oxford to be a couple of models up from the bottom, a higher student/lower intermediate model. After using mouthpiece sleeves to dial in the gap (vary the insertion amount of the mouthpiece), mine plays pretty well. It however has a rather odd fast bell taper (page 14 of the following link shows a diagram of bell tapers: http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/AV6004_trumpet_web.pdf ), which results in mutes inserting further into the bell, and a darker sound.

I would not recommend changing the springs and especially the internal valve felts, as unless the felts are the required thickness, you will alter the valve alignment. If when pressing the 2nd valve down with the 2nd slide removed, you can see all the valve port, I would leave it as it is for now.

Anyway, if your Emperor is like my Oxford and in full playable condition, it should be a decent enough trumpet.

I really hope that this will help.

Take Care

Lou


Hi Lou.

Hi Lee

Thank you for your post,

You are very welcome.

I had a Boosey many years ago, 1974 and it was a lovely trumpet,

I really hope that you will like your new one.

I have not had chance to strip the valves out to check them yet, I will be stripping my horn down later this evening and cleaning it through, I will check out the valves then, I don't know how well its been cared for in its life, so I will start from scratch. I also play Clarinet, I have 2 wooden Claries, I will not play Plastic. I have a Selmer 100 and a Selmer Special, both Ebony and I play on a 2.5 or a 3 Reed, I like the Vandoren Concerts. I once tried the waterproof reed, don't know if you have tried it, its covered I plastic, its horrible sounds like someone playing on a Paper and Comb, a horrible buzz, I threw it in the bin after half hour, went back to my Vandoren, lol,

I don't play clarinet, predominantly cornet, trumpet and flugel, with a bit of flute. I played flute as my first instrument through school and college, starting brass at 20. I am however familiar with Rico plasticover reads, as I used to work in a music shop. My husband is a saxophone player. He likes Rico Royals, and plays modern Jazz.

I will let you know about how it plays when I get my lips on it.

I look forward to reading about it.

Take Care
Lee

Take Care also

Lou

_________________
Trumpets:
Yamaha 8335 Xeno II
Bach Strad 180ML/37
B&H Oxford
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Differing Kanstul Custom 3Cs
- Denis Wick 4B underpart/my 3C rim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: My Vintage Boosey & Hawkes 'Emperor' Reply with quote

Well, I received my Boosey & Hawkes 'Emperor' day before yesterday, stripped it all down give it a good internal cleaning and oiled the valves, they have a beautiful smooth return, so I spent 2 evenings getting into it, using my 3c & 5c BUT alas it is not the horn for me, it just hasn't found me yet, so alas, I am selling it and moving on looking for my horn, so if anybody is interested in a Vintage Boosey & Hawkes 'Emperor' serial number puts the manufacturing date at 1956, pm me we can talk further. now off to look at the John Packer Horns
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 3383
Location: Suffolk, England

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee

That is a shame. If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about it?

If it is stuffy to blow, it may be a case of having the wrong internal valve felts, wrong mouthpiece gap etc.

I'll tell you a little story. I paid 30 for my mid 1950s Boosey and Hawkes Oxford in 1994. Despite a crack in the end of the third slide, which had tape over it, it played very well, and a local semi-pro/trumpet teacher wanted to buy it from me, but I wouldn't sell it. It was in otherwise good mechancial order, but ugly cosmetically with hardly any lacquer left, which had turned a horrible dark colour.

Despite its low valve, I had it re-lacquered. It didn't play anywhere near as well afterwards, which I put down to the lacquer possibly being too thick.

Anyway, I did loads of cornet playing for years, and when I started to play more trumpet again, I bought a pro trumpet and it became my spare.

I got it out again a couple of years back and realised two things, the tech who had relacquered it, had replaced both the finger button felts and internal valve felts with replacements of a generic thickness, totally mucking up the valve alignment. Knowing that both sets of felts needed to be quite a bit thinner, I had a educated guess as to what I would need, and ordered it from Windcraft Ltd (when I had the valve alignment checked by a very good tech, it turned out that I had luckily got the valve alignment right to the extent that he couldn't improve upon it). The trumpet played much better but still not like I remembered it. I then looked into the insertion amount and realised that the Bach 7C I used to play with it, inserts 1mm or so more than my 2005 Bach 3C. I have a James R New modular top copy of the cup end of my Bach 3C, which I play with a 10 backbore, his version of the Bach 10 backbore, standard with the Bach C and no letter cups. He has sleeved the backbore for me, and I am using his 6.5 sleeve on my Oxford, which inserts into the receiver the same distance as my old 7C. This trumpet is now back to its very best. I had totally forgotten how good a trumpet this is when set-up optimally. Coincidentally I had it right from the start.

Maybe mine is just a good one, or I like it, but from 1956 when your trumpet was made until now, is a lot of time for someone to have switched over the felts etc, to the wrong ones, and you may not like it because it is not playing as well as it should.

Then again, if it is playing well and it is not for you, fair enough, but if you don't mind me saying, I am a little concerned that if you don't like the Boosey and Hawkes (if playing well), whether you are likely to like the John Packer trumpet or a student/intermediate Yamaha any better, as my Boosey and Hawkes at least, is a pretty general purpose trumpet, which doesn't play miles away from my Yamaha Xeno or Bach 37, hence why I keep it as a spare.

You said that you liked your 1974 Boosey and Hawkes trumpet, which also makes me think that your new one is not playing as well as it should. Obviously you've got to do what you want, but I'd check the valve alignment first, that that the water key is sealing properly (mine needs sorting, as it is a bit loose, and has a bit of sideways play, which means that sometimes the cork is not fully covering the hole, and the trumpet doesn't play well). Another possibility with a 1950s trumpet is poor valve compression owing to wear. If this turns out to be the case (if you look on here, there are threads regarding accessing valve compression, or you could get the opinion of a good tech), you may be able to return this trumpet.

Take Care

Lou
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Boosey & Hawkes Emperor Reply with quote

Hi Lou.
Love your story, and thank you for your help. I will check the valve alignment when I get home see what its like, we have a huge music shop near where I live called Gear4music and I have been trying a range of their horns, there is one called a Coppergate Intermediate and its a lovely looking horn (You will be able to see it on their website) not only looking good, when I put it to my chops and blew the notes just flowed without any effort I didn't even have to drive it through the range it more or less just drove itself, plus it isn't a heavy horn, its rather light. I have been told I can return the Boosey for a refund if I like, so will see over weekend what I am doing, I would love to have had a go on a J. Packer but they are down in Taunton ad I am In York, I don't know of any stockist in York that stock Packers that I may be able to have a go on,

Regards
Lee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 3383
Location: Suffolk, England

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Boosey & Hawkes Emperor Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Hi Lou.

Hi Lee

Love your story, and thank you for your help.

Thanks very much, and you are very welcome.

I will check the valve alignment when I get home see what its like, we have a huge music shop near where I live called Gear4music and I have been trying a range of their horns, there is one called a Coppergate Intermediate and its a lovely looking horn (You will be able to see it on their website) not only looking good, when I put it to my chops and blew the notes just flowed without any effort I didn't even have to drive it through the range it more or less just drove itself, plus itisn't a heavy horn, its rather light. I have been told I can return the Boosey for a refund if I like, so will see over weekend what I am doing, I would love to have had a go on a J. Packer but they are down in Taunton ad I am In York, I don't know of any stockist in York that stock Packers that I may be able to have a go on,

I know of Gear4music. My very good modern Jazz saxophonist husband has Gear4music Soprano and Baritone saxophones.

My experience from working in a music shop is that you can get away with cheaper (as long as they are from a reputable supplier) woodwind instruments to a reasonable extent as long as you replace the supplied cheap mouthpiece (reed instruments) with a decent mouthpiece (my husband's Soprano sax mouthpiece cost more than the instrument), and accept that they are going to need servicing more regularly and will have a shorter life. My husband is predominantly an alto sax player and has a very nice Selmer Mark VI alto. Although probably not quite having the tone of his Alto, he sounds very very good on his Gear4Music Soprano and Baritone. I find cheaper flutes ok.

Regarding brass instruments, I found that cheaper instruments have a tinny sound, probably because a lot more of the sound comes out of the bell of a brass instrument, owing to how they are played (just my theory). When I was having major trumpet valve problems, I listened to youtube clips of the Gear for Music trumpets. Me and my husband didn't particularly like the sound of the 119.99 Student Trumpet by Gear for Music, but we thought that the Coppergate Intermediate Model for 199.99 and Professional Model Trumpet for 299.99 had a better sound (particularly the Professional Model):

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXf0_Xh6kSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FncBfV6i18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ayj4bzRIo
http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Coppergate-Professional-Trumpet-by-Gear4music/8M4

One thing to bear in mind, is that when my husband was looking into budget Baritone Saxophones, we realised that the cheapest John Packer and Gear4Music Baritone were the same instrument, except that the John Packer one had a rose brass bell. Just like the ACB Doubler's flugel horn and Dillon flugel horn are I believe basically the same instrument made in the same Chinese (?) factory, differing by Trent Austin making some improvements to the ones he sells, I believe that the same is true for at least the John Packer and Gear4Music budget saxophones.

The Gear4Music and John Packer trumpets could therefore be basically the same instruments made in the same factory, but with some small changes made to the specifications for John Packer. I don't know. If you compare the images of the John Packer and Gear4Music trumpets like we did with the saxophones, you may see that this is the case.

I've had a quick look and although the John Packer one has a rose brass leadpipe and some nickel (I believe) tubing rather than being yellow brass throughout with gold lacquer, they look like the same basic trumpet to me:

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp-trumpet-bb-jp051#body

http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Student-Trumpet-by-Gear4music-Gold/6UW

Since John Packer instruments are their own brand, no one else I believe sells them, although you can probably try them via mail order. This makes no sense however if Gear4Music is near to you, and they are basically the same instrument, although at least with the student model, the John Packer one with the rose brass bell seems to be a nicer variant for only 10 more.


I honestly do think that your Boosey and Hawkes Emperor would have been a better quality made trumpet originally, but a lot can happen in 50 years which could stop it playing at its best. I'd still pick my Oxford over a John Packer, but I have played a John Packer cornet and they are very good for their price point.

I'm not sure of your budget, but in your position, I'd also consider Yamaha (either new or used).

I really hope all this will help.

Take Care

Lou


Regards
Lee.

_________________
Trumpets:
Yamaha 8335 Xeno II
Bach Strad 180ML/37
B&H Oxford
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Differing Kanstul Custom 3Cs
- Denis Wick 4B underpart/my 3C rim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tankie
New Member


Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: John Packer & Gear4music Reply with quote

Hi Lou.
I was thinking exactly the same, I like the G4M Coppergate Trumpet the Intermediate one, and when I have compared them they look exactly the same instrument, I was thinking they were the same with just a different logo on the bell. also what I like about G4M is that when you buy the instrument, they give you a 30 day @If you don't like it, bring it back' policy for a no questions asked refund. In the past I bought my full PA system from them 1000watt also I bought my Clavinova Digital Piano from them, plus a Concert Microphone, so I have dealt with them regularly, last week I bought the Yamaha Silent Brass Mute from them, also what is nice, you can just go into the showroom and plonk your MPC into any instrument and make as much noise as you want, nobody comes and disturbs you, plus all the people that work there are musicians, I found this out when I asked why they are not open on Sundays, the showroom manager said, 'We are all working Musicians, and we like to have a day off as well after working, plus we don't roll out of bed until 15:00...lol, point taken. did you look at the coppergate Intermediate, they have 2 coppergates one cheapy and one somewhat dearer,

Thanks for your help
Regards
Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 3383
Location: Suffolk, England

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Packer & Gear4music Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Hi Lou.

Hi Lee

I was thinking exactly the same, I like the G4M Coppergate Trumpet the Intermediate one, and when I have compared them they look exactly the same instrument, I was thinking they were the same with just a different logo on the bell.

I haven't looked at the specifications for Intermediate trumpets from both brands, and there may be subtle differences, but if they look exactly the same, they probably are exactly the same basic instrument.

also what I like about G4M is that when you buy the instrument, they give you a 30 day @If you don't like it, bring it back' policy for a no questions asked refund. In the past I bought my full PA system from them 1000watt also I bought my Clavinova Digital Piano from them, plus a Concert Microphone, so I have dealt with them regularly, last week I bought the Yamaha Silent Brass Mute from them, also what is nice, you can just go into the showroom and plonk your MPC into any instrument and make as much noise as you want, nobody comes and disturbs you, plus all the people that work there are musicians, I found this out when I asked why they are not open on Sundays, the showroom manager said, 'We are all working Musicians, and we like to have a day off as well after working, plus we don't roll out of bed until 15:00...lol, point taken.

All sounds great!

did you look at the coppergate Intermediate, they have 2 coppergates one cheapy and one somewhat dearer,

Do you mean the intermediate and professional model, no, I only listened to the youtube clips.

Thanks for your help
Regards
Lee

You are very welcome.

Take Care

Lou

_________________
Trumpets:
Yamaha 8335 Xeno II
Bach Strad 180ML/37
B&H Oxford
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Differing Kanstul Custom 3Cs
- Denis Wick 4B underpart/my 3C rim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 5219
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification our Doublers once we spend the time on them (2 hours min per horn) and change out a bunch of parts, align the valves, and perform proprietary tweaks are very different the other horns available than the horns Lou mentioned.

Best of luck in your search and welcome to TH.

-T
_________________
http://austincustombrass.com
http://trentaustinmusic.com
http://instagram.com/austincustombrass
please email the shop with inquiries ([email protected])
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 3383
Location: Suffolk, England

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Just for clarification our Doublers once we spend the time on them (2 hours min per horn) and change out a bunch of parts, align the valves, and perform proprietary tweaks are very different the other horns available than the horns Lou mentioned.

Hi Trent

Yes, of course. Sorry I should have clarified this much better, and am very glad that you have put this right.

Sorry again.

Take Care

Lou


Best of luck in your search and welcome to TH.

-T

_________________
Trumpets:
Yamaha 8335 Xeno II
Bach Strad 180ML/37
B&H Oxford
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Differing Kanstul Custom 3Cs
- Denis Wick 4B underpart/my 3C rim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group