• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold Mitchell, Louis Maggio, and it was probably at this time he studied with Herbert L. Clarke (Clarke was conducting the Long Beach, CA band).

Barry Springer
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Adam talks a lot about his admiration for "Pappy". I thought Clarke was at Eastman when Adam did his masters. BTW I believe he is just a few hours short of degrees in Psychology and English literature. A very well rounded man. He still has the business card Clarke gave him "That's the saddest story I have ever heard. You have my complete sympathy". While he is the most understanding and helpfull man I have ever met, he can really kick your butt if you are being stupid. I have received a few of those. He also took some lessons with Vachiano and probably others. He always explored other teacher's philosophies thoroughly, used what he could and dumped the rest in the trash. Herb Mueller and Bill Bell were also great favorites and colleagues. He loves Miles playing but has little respect for his personal life. Freddie, Clifford, and Herseth are always mentioned as "How this damn thing is supposed to sound". And of course Doc.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Mr. Adam talks a lot about his admiration for "Pappy". I thought Clarke was at Eastman when Adam did his masters. BTW I believe he is just a few hours short of degrees in Psychology and English literature. A very well rounded man. He still has the business card Clarke gave him "That's the saddest story I have ever heard. You have my complete sympathy". While he is the most understanding and helpfull man I have ever met, he can really kick your butt if you are being stupid. I have received a few of those. He also took some lessons with Vachiano and probably others. He always explored other teacher's philosophies thoroughly, used what he could and dumped the rest in the trash. Herb Mueller and Bill Bell were also great favorites and colleagues. He loves Miles playing but has little respect for his personal life. Freddie, Clifford, and Herseth are always mentioned as "How this damn thing is supposed to sound". And of course Doc.

Bill, can you go deeper into the meaning of the the saddest story card from Clarke? Thanks
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
. . . He also took some lessons with Vachiano and probably others.

At one of the birthday parties Dom Spera told me that he thought Vacchiano was a bigger influence on Mr. Adam than people realized.

Matt
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcstock wrote:

At one of the birthday parties Dom Spera told me that he thought Vacchiano was a bigger influence on Mr. Adam than people realized.

Matt

This makes a lot of sense, considering Vacchiano's teaching style
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Adam talked a little bit about Vacchiano to me. It was obvious that Mr. Adam respected his playing, but I didn't get the impression that Vacchiano's pedagogy was a big influence.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
Mr. Adam talked a little bit about Vacchiano to me. It was obvious that Mr. Adam respected his playing, but I didn't get the impression that Vacchiano's pedagogy was a big influence.

Ditto. Vacchiano's name came up right after Herseth, Doc & Andre in the list of great players with a fine sound to model. I think his teaching was far more influenced by Pappy Mitchell and his own studies into psychology, acoustics, physiology, etc.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Nonsense Eliminator wrote:

Ditto. Vacchiano's name came up right after Herseth, Doc & Andre in the list of great players with a fine sound to model. I think his teaching was far more influenced by Pappy Mitchell and his own studies into psychology, acoustics, physiology, etc.
The Mitchell influence with Mr. Adam really makes sense. "Mitchell on Trumpet" has a ton of memorable quotes to help a player get into a positive mind frame for playing. Seems like it's continuing into today's generations. Good stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: