• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bill Chase Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Bill Chase Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I've heard that Chase used to play on something close to a Schilke 6a4a. His time on a Jettone is also widely known, but I've heard the BC model marketed by Ratzenberger wasn't an exact match to the piece Bill actually played on. Further, I've heard Bill's personal pieces differed from the 6a4a available today. Does anyone have any insight to the differences, if any?
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a couple Jet-tone CHASE models from the 70s. Both had B rims. They were both drastically different as well. One had a steep drop into a shallow V cup and one was shallower. The markings were the same, but the pieces were definitely different. And the rims felt to be different sizes as well.

Both were nothing like the 6A4a Schilke. The Schilkes are HUGE in comparison and don't seem to give as much chop room before the cup starts.

There are a bunch of guys making copies. Patrick Mouthpieces come to mind, and the one I played felt, and looked like one of the old Jet Tones I had. Bob Reeves has a copy available as well.

Small inside rim on the Jet Tones, around a .600 maybe.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Maynard Ferguson Forum ... "The "stock" 6A4a and "stock" Jet-Tone Bill Chase were VERY different-The "stock" 6A4a has no undercut on it and the "a" backbore is MUCH tighter than the Ratzenberger era Jet-Tone backbore. Now, Ratzenberger made the BC Jet-Tone available w a shallow cup and all 4 rims, the A rim, B rim, C and D-Chase himself used the 'B' rim-however Ratzenberger issued those in the skeletonized blank (looks like a nail) but Chase used the standard blank (like MF, Al Hirt)-

Chase stated in several clinics he tried to get Ratzenberger to make a copy for him but they were all different and Chase was down to just the one Jet-Tone custom model, late in 1971 he had Ren Schilke make a copy for him of the Jet-Tone (complete w rim undercut, #26 throat etc) slightly different than what is now known as the 6A4a. Chase stated the Schilke "came out feeling just a little better than the original Jet-Tone" so take that for what it's worth. He sounded great on both! If you want a duplicate of the Schilke-Chase or Chase Jet-Tone you can hunt for a Jet-Tone model 5B from the '60's/'70's (Ratzenberger stated this was pretty much the same MPC) or get a 6A4a and have a rim undercut added."
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
rap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 70s/80s I used to play a Jet Tone BC and also a Custom 5B. I don’t know what rim the BC had as it was just stamped BC but it felt like a B rim. These pieces felt nothing like a Schilke 6a4a.

Although the BC and Custom 5B were close I’d say that the BC had slightly less undercut so felt like there was less bite. The cup shape and depth were very similar.

I've also owned the Jet Tone Vintage and Reissue, Patrick PBC and Legends JT BC but for me none are as playable as the original Jet Tone BC. The rims all felt fatter and clumsier on my lips. The closest match was the Jet Tone Reissue and the worst the Jet Tone Vintage.

If I've done it correctly, below should be a link to photos of the pieces I’ve owned. I no longer have these pieces as I moved to Warburton.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76418577@N06/
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Ratzenberger Jet-Tones Reply with quote

To set the record straight, Ray Amado developed the Jet-Tone concept and his business partner was Bill Ratzenberger. All of the original designs were made by Ray and he developed a unique way of duplicating. Way before CNC technology was even thought of (mid sixties) mouthpieces were copied on a machine similar to copying keys, on a one to one basis. Ray figured out a new way by making a template out of 1/4 inch aluminum plate of the mouthpieces he had designed ten times larger and devised a machine to copy them reducing the error factor by ten. Very clever. He was able to accurately copy mouthpieces for guys and people such as Doc Severinsen, Snooky Young, Buddy Morrow and many of the top NYC players were on Jet-Tones. Around 1968 or so, Ray discovered some "book keeping" irregularities and split from Ratzenberger. The Amado waterkey was his next "better mousetrap" and is in production today thanks to his son Bill continuing the production. Meanwhile Ratzenberger tried to continue Jet-Tone and was certainly not the craftsman Ray Amado was. As a matter of fact, I don't think he ever made two mouthpieces in a row that were accurate probably explaining why Chase went to Schilke for a copy. Ironically Schilke at that time was using a key-type machine to dupe mouthpieces but certainly he was good at it. Jet-Tone went through several owners, most of which ruined the original concept and designs. Today, some reputable makers have re-introduced the Chase and Maynard models and I sent an original Amado made Chase to Derek Saidek to copy which I believe is being produced. It may be the same as Peter Pickett is making as he makes the Legends models for Derek, all of which are very good. I was there at this time and as Ray was a dear friend I believe what I've said to be true.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ratzenberger Jet-Tones Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
To set the record straight, Ray Amado developed the Jet-Tone concept and his business partner was Bill Ratzenberger. All of the original designs were made by Ray and he developed a unique way of duplicating. Way before CNC technology was even thought of (mid sixties) mouthpieces were copied on a machine similar to copying keys, on a one to one basis. Ray figured out a new way by making a template out of 1/4 inch aluminum plate of the mouthpieces he had designed ten times larger and devised a machine to copy them reducing the error factor by ten. Very clever. He was able to accurately copy mouthpieces for guys and people such as Doc Severinsen, Snooky Young, Buddy Morrow and many of the top NYC players were on Jet-Tones. Around 1968 or so, Ray discovered some "book keeping" irregularities and split from Ratzenberger. The Amado waterkey was his next "better mousetrap" and is in production today thanks to his son Bill continuing the production. Meanwhile Ratzenberger tried to continue Jet-Tone and was certainly not the craftsman Ray Amado was. As a matter of fact, I don't think he ever made two mouthpieces in a row that were accurate probably explaining why Chase went to Schilke for a copy. Ironically Schilke at that time was using a key-type machine to dupe mouthpieces but certainly he was good at it. Jet-Tone went through several owners, most of which ruined the original concept and designs. Today, some reputable makers have re-introduced the Chase and Maynard models and I sent an original Amado made Chase to Derek Saidek to copy which I believe is being produced. It may be the same as Peter Pickett is making as he makes the Legends models for Derek, all of which are very good. I was there at this time and as Ray was a dear friend I believe what I've said to be true.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Jet-tone REALLY took a bad direction when Woodwind and Brasswind bought the company. They tried to streamline the models, and changed all the sizes of the rims that were nowhere near the older pieces I had.

The older models made sense. Four different cup depths, with four different rim shapes in the custom series. Same with different weights in the T series. And the artist models also made sense.

Nobody today offers different rim shape options like Jet tone did, that make sense the way their line used to.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-tone-3B-Custom-Model-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-/332108483995?hash=item4d53354d9b:g:3x8AAOSw241Yj1JE

Check out the pic of the cup and rim. Looks super comfy!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: