• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wind Band preperation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

Hi. Just wondering what are everyone's thoughts on what to practice for playing 1st trumpet in a wind band? I'm a music college graduate and play at quite a high level.
Any further ideas to practice would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual stuff: long tones, whisper tones, soft sound production, finger flexibilities, lip flexibilities, articulation, including multiple tonguing. It's useful to be able to add subtle vibrato with good control on some solos.

One thing that I've found especially helpful for wind band: arpeggio drills up and down the range. So many pieces in the repertoire require you to play across the range, from middle register to upper register and back down again in one phrase with great agility. Arpeggio drills are great for this. Arban intervals and chord drills are good. The Franquin Method has about 30 pages of arpeggio drills--when you factor in all the marked transpositions, it's a huge resource.
Piccolo Stomvi
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to say "put the smart phone away during rehearsals" but even that seems to be acceptable now, even in orchestras...
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the soft playing prep.

Also, know ALL the trumpet parts happening, as well as other principal player's parts. Good to be aware of what's going in around you.
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

Thanks dstdenis. Yes I agree the arban intervals and chords are really good and use them regularly. Indeed, I found they give me strength and a good clarity in my articulation!
Also, yes very useful to use a bit of vibrato for the lighter styles!
To Craig Swartz: it's amazing how many trumpet players answer their phones in the middle of a rehearsal these days!
Looking forward to reading other peoples comments and ideas, but in the meantime thanks guys
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

Just to add: yes soft prep and playing is important for wind band. However, in contrast, isn't short bursts of loud power playing required? For instance, those orchestral type fanfares sections!
What do you guys think?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Just to add: yes soft prep and playing is important for wind band. However, in contrast, isn't short bursts of loud power playing required? For instance, those orchestral type fanfares sections!
What do you guys think?

Yes, it is. Sometimes long sections of powerful playing too--for example, Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed), Festive Overture (Shostakovich), or Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral (Wagner). Depending on the band, however, you might find that you never use all the power you have, even in these epic sections. Your band mates and music director will appreciate it if you balance down the ensemble.
Piccolo Stomvi
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

Yes I agree dstdenis, awareness and sensitivity is important within the ensemble.
Also, with regard to the power playing, I think its more about the quality of the sound!
Indeed, loud playing is overrated IMHO.
The franquin method sounds interesting you mentioned earlier!
Cheers
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi. Just wondering what are everyone's thoughts on what to practice for playing 1st trumpet in a wind band? I'm a music college graduate and play at quite a high level.
Any further ideas to practice would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys.

Aside from the others' comments about soft playing (which have benefits well beyond being able to play softly), I'd suggest:
*Technique studies. There are some extreme technical demands placed upon trumpet/cornet 1 parts in wind band lit. Anything you can do to maintain fast fingers is a must.
*Continue developing your upper register. I've seen stuff up to Eb & F. Have a good solid command of that range, and you should probably be able to PLAY (not just squeak out) up to Bb, giving you a surplus.
*If you are doing trumpet 1 (not cornet 1) there is a BIG difference in your approach. We use 2 trumpet players to cover trumpet parts and the remaining 4 (or 5, depending) cover the cornet parts. So you are often by yourself when others are doubled. The ability to play in tune and know when to power through the ensemble is going to be critical. At times, you are a horn player, at times you are the top of the wave of trombones, and at times you are all alone. In marches, get ready to do lots of offbeats. So you really need to be able to manipulate your timbre to suit whatever you are doing. Being aware of your part's function is key.
*Arban, Arban, Arban. Extend the exercises beyond what he wrote.
*Keep in touch with your cornet & flugelhorn. They are necessary tools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

To Glen Roberts: Yes I must admit I use the arban quite a bit, as I was always taught that way. Indeed, I also like to extend on what arban wrote. For example, I'm very keen on the lip trill exercises and I take them further into the upper register - a bit like doing Caruso I suppose. IMHO I still think the arban is a great book and has all you need! In fact, the standards are always essential for me. Furthermore, there are some great modern books which are a great addition as well.
Thanks for your post.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good comments already. To them I would add that you should be very confident about rhythm/timing. Books like Bower's "Rhythms Complete" (as written and up an octave), Gates' "Odd Meter Studies" and Stevens' "Changing Meter Studies" can help with that if needed.

Another thing I will add is the importance of endurance. The first trumpet parts for some marches can be a tough blow -- the horn doesn't leave your face for several minutes, and you might have Bbs and Cs scattered throughout the piece. Sousa's "Century of Progress March" is an example. I find that Caruso's "Musical Calisthenics" are a big help. Goldman's "Practical Studies" also has some nice exercises to help with endurance, particularly if you transpose them up.

Good luck, and have fun!
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion on Caruso. Great for building up the chops while also developing a resonant tone that will project with less effort.

Another wind band tip is to play dynamics such that you can hear the parts around you. This aids in clean section wide entrances and cut offs.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your prep - or as most replies are getting your "daily routine" should change = you should be practicing all of those elements anyway, ie. soft playing, loud playing, range, rhythmic accuracy, tone developement, articulation, etc... as you say "you play at quite a high level" - what got you there? Keep your tools sharp and work on your weaknesses...

Your prep for this "wind band" should be warmed-up and be ready to play.. You should find out what gear you need - Bb, C trumpet, mutes..??
Are you sitting in the priciple chair or are you playing a 1st part within a section? That's a big difference - will you be setting the standard or following the standard of someone else in the priciple 1st trumpet chair?
Then as you discover what music is being played, you will learn what you need to address.

If you are in the principle chair be consistent, be in congruence with the conductor-develope or understand the nuances of style that is already developed or desired, be rhythmically solid, be in tune, etc..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Wind Band preperation Reply with quote

Thanks zaferis
I will try and answer your question re: what got you there?
Well, I was very fortunate to study the trumpet at a top music conservatoire some years ago here in London. There I had some very fine teachers over the 4 year degree course. I try and think back to those years and practice what those teachers said to me even now! Indeed, I feel is important to really listen to a good teacher and practice! I think you can discover a lot when you really listen to teachers and put the work in! This self discovery process is different for everyone, so would rather not post a "daily routine", as everyone's routine is different! I try and maximize my time and work on things that I am not good at to make progress and things that are good for me.
Time to go and practice............
Happy blowing everyone
Cheers
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi legato lyric line.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't practice to play whatever gig or band. I work on maintaining what I can do and fixing things that have gone south. My biggest trouble or change I've seen over the years, the print is small. Hindsley transcriptions are almost impossible. I have to enlarge the part. Maybe I'm just old?
oldenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Collins has an etude book called Trumpet One. The etudes cover different styles you are likely to run into in a pops orchestra. Covers the whole range of the horn many difficult keys, a good all around book.

Hickeys has it:

http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku090176.php

Nick

Play The Ink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: