• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brett Manges - eTrumpter lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoso

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Brett Manges - eTrumpter lessons Reply with quote

Hi

I'm a complete beginner (not a comeback player) and just need some guidance on getting started. I know I will get a lot of advice about finding myself a physical teacher and intend to do that but right now I just want to get my feet wet and was wondering if anyone has any experience of Brett Manges and his eTrumpet lesson course? He gives five free lessons to anyone who signs up on his site and he then offers a more comprehewnsive DVD course. I'd be interested to hear from any other complete beginners to have tried the course to get your opinions on how comprehensive it is and how good a teacher he is or indeed if there are any other internet/DVD courses out there
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoso,
I have no experience with Brett Manges and his eTrumpet lesson course. If you are a complete new raw beginner I wonder how much risk you will incur concerning bad habits, though. A competent teacher will be "there" to advise you as you take care of really important fundamentals such as embouchure formation. He/she will also be better positioned to help you "major on majors" early on. Welcome to TH and best wishes as you become a trumpet player!
Jim
eTrumpetLessons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@xoso Brett here. I just noticed your post, and I'm pleased you found the eTrumpet Lessons site. I'm also pleased that you've found this forum - it's a great resource for information.

As you've discovered, there are many online resources available to learn to play the trumpet. Online models - both live and recorded - continue to improve, and are being used to help learners of almost any subject and at almost any level. I believe that much can be learned via video tutorial. And while nothing replaces the value of a live, experienced teacher (also now possible via video chat), I encourage you to take advantage of any advice you can get from experienced players, both live and online. As Comeback alluded to, the goal as a beginner is to get the fundamentals down properly and minimize bad habits that hinder your progress. That's the foundation of my tutorial project.

I also invite you to contact me via my website if you have specific questions on the course.

Best,
Brett
meganpoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for Brett Manges’ eTrumpet beginner’s course ($US47) and found it ideal for me. I am an adult learner (mid-forties) and found Brett’s lessons to be perfectly pitched (no pun intended) for beginners; the lessons cover just the right amount of info in the right amount of depth, and the great thing is that learners can go at their own pace and approach things in an order that suits them. It’s also good to be able to re-watch the videos as needed and to watch them offline; being able to download the video lessons to my phone when I have access to the internet means that I can watch the videos when that access is not available (this is sometimes the case for me).

Also, the topics that Brett covers are just perfect from my perspective — I was expecting the stuff on tone, articulation, fingering, etc., but the lessons on feedback and how to practise have added another dimension to my learning; Brett has clearly thought a lot about what a person at home, learning alone, and maybe without consistent internet access needs. There is a very strong pedagogy behind what Brett has done for learners such as myself.

I find Brett’s presentation really nice, too — he is amiable, encouraging, and relaxed; I don’t feel like I have to be brilliant straight up, but neither do I feel that it will take forever to get a sound out of the horn. But at the same time I know I’ve got to get things right, and this is because of the way that Brett insists that you work consciously on what you’re doing.

There is also a guidebook supplied that is extremely helpful and well-put-together, and this has become an essential part of my daily practice. The arrangements are very simply written, and as such are helping me to get used to reading music again.

I think there are many reasons that someone might want to take an online course such as that offered by Brett at eTrumpet lessons: not everyone can afford to pay for weekly, one-on-one tuition, not everyone is at the age where they have the advantage of learning at school, and not everyone lives in a city or town where there is a trumpet teacher just around the corner. Moreover, in today’s full-on working environments, not everyone can reliably schedule face-to-face tuition. Digital lessons might also be a better option for people with certain kinds of disability (mobility difficulties, agoraphobia, social phobia, brain injury that affects memory, etc.) and having access to digital content at any time means that these democratising and inclusive elements of online learning in general can allow more of us to learn an instrument.

In the end, I just want to learn some trumpet for a bit of fun at the cricket and to play a few pop songs. I’m not into it to be a concert-level performer (not at my age, anyway), and Brett’s approach really works for someone like me.

I hope this helps

Megan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: